RTR Grave Betrayal question

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lo folks.

Grave Betrayal

Lets say I have Betrayal on the field (henceforth mentioned as GB)  and a creature my opponent controls "dies". << I hate that keyword.

During the second main phase my opponent destroys GB.

What happens at the beginning of the next upkeep? As GB was in play when the creature "died" but is no longer there come begiining of next end step. 
Banned from MTGSalvation for being me. They don't like me. I have opinions. That and I called them all Nazi's.
the delayed trigger has already been setup, the creature will return, regardless if GB still exists
proud member of the 2011 community team
Thank you, it was as I had assumed.
Banned from MTGSalvation for being me. They don't like me. I have opinions. That and I called them all Nazi's.
Addendum to the question: would the creature cease being a zombie once Grave Betrayal was gone?
No. Continuous effects created by spells and abilities other than static abilities last until an explicitly given event (e.g. "until end of turn") or until end of game if no expiration is given. These effects exist independently of their sources.
Addendum to the question: would the creature cease being a zombie once Grave Betrayal was gone?

No. 
no, it will remain a black zombie (in addition to its other colors and types) regardless of GB's status
No. Continuous effects created abilities and spells other than static abilities last until end of game unless otherwise stated. They are independent of their source.

How do you determine that this is a continuous effect rather than a static ability? Is it because the card specifically references the creature type change to "that creature" rather than say something along the lines of "all creatures reanimated by grave betrayal are black zombies in addition to their other colors and types"

edit: I realize that "reanimated" means nothing with regard to the rules
How do you determine that this is a continuous effect rather than a static ability?

Do you mean "How do you determine that the continuous effect is created by a static ability or by something else?"

Well, abilities that start with "Whenever" are triggered abilities. As such, the effect is created by a triggered ability, not a static ability.

it's because "that creature is a black zombie" is part of the delayed trigger

if it was a static ability by GB it would be in a seperate line
I see, thanks.
Lets break it down.

Whenever a creature you don't control dies, return it to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it at the beginning of the next end step. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.

This is a triggered ability (CR603.1)

[At/When/Whenever] [CONDITION], [EFFECT]

in this specific case

[Whenever] [CONDITION= a creature you don't control dies], [EFFECT= return it to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it at the beginning of the next end step. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.]

The Effect of the trigger sets up a delayed trigger (CR603.7)

[At] [CONDITION=  the beginning of the next end step], [EFFECT= return it to the battlefield under your control with an additional +1/+1 counter on it at the beginning of the next end step. That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.]

the delayed trigger's Effect does two things.
1) a One-Shot Effect (CR610) - moving the card to the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter
2) a Continuous Effect (CR611) - making it black and creature subtype zombie

no duration is specified for the continuous effect and it occurs from a resolving ability so it lasts until the end of the game (CR611.2a)

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

So, whenever rules text is all listed on the same line, it's considered a single ability?  (excepting keyword abilities appearing on the same line)
So, whenever rules text is all listed on the same line, it's considered a single ability?  (excepting keyword abilities appearing on the same line)

Nevermind, found the rule:

112.2c. An object may have multiple abilities. If the object is represented by a card, then aside from certain defined abilities that may be strung together on a single line (see rule 702, "Keyword Abilities"), each paragraph break in a card's text marks a separate ability. If the object is not represented by a card, the effect that created it may have given it multiple abilities. An object may also be granted additional abilities by a spell or ability. If an object has multiple instances of the same ability, each instance functions independently. This may or may not produce more effects than a single instance; refer to the specific ability for more information.
Yes, but abilities can be composed of other abilities. Two linked abilities are on the same lines sometimes, delayed triggered abilities are part of other abilities, and keyword abilities can represent more than one abilities.
Yes, but abilities can be composed of other abilities. Two linked abilities are on the same lines sometimes, delayed triggered abilities are part of other abilities, and keyword abilities can represent more than one abilities.

Can you give an example of two linked abilities on the same line (that aren't keyword abilities)?  I want to know how to identify those.
I was thinking of
607.1a An ability printed on an object within another ability that grants that ability to that object is still considered to be “printed on” that object for these purposes.

but that's not an ability in another.

Can you give an example of two linked abilities on the same line (that aren't keyword abilities)?  I want to know how to identify those.

Rowen
603.10. Some objects have a static ability that's linked to a triggered ability. (See rule 607, "Linked Abilities.") These objects combine both abilities into one paragraph, with the static ability first, followed by the triggered ability. A very few objects have triggered abilities which are written with the trigger condition in the middle of the ability, rather than at the beginning.
Example: An ability that reads "Reveal the first card you draw each turn. Whenever you reveal a basic land card this way, draw a card" is a static ability linked to a triggered ability.

And abilities (other than keyword abilities) are separated by paragraph breaks, not line breaks.
No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

And abilities (other than keyword abilities) are separated by paragraph breaks, not line breaks.

This might set a new pedantry record for this forum, and that's no small achievement.

Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
This might set a new pedantry record for this forum, and that's no small achievement.

I would think that setting a pedandry record would require
A) Having the nitpick as an entire post.
B) Nitpicking an issue that has never led to confusion:
Unless a player has Book Burning
deal 6 damage to him or her, put
the top six cards of target player's
library into his or her graveyard.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.