Other uses of fighters' cs

I had a thought, originally from my homebrew rpg idea, that I think could also play into a fighter's role as a weapons-master: what if there were certain weapons that would add certain options for a fighter to use his cs dice for. For example: a throwing shield acts as a shield, but for a use of a cs die, it can become a thrown weapon for 1d6 bludgeoning damage, and if two dice are spent, it can ricochet back to the user. What do you guys think?

I am currently raising funds to run for President in 2016. Too many administrations have overlooked the international menace, that is Carmen Sandiego. I shall devote any and all necessary military resources to bring her to justice.

Captain America strikes again!

But i've go no issue with a throw random things manuver. Though i think rebound should cost 2 die. It's not exactly an easy shot and takes paragon skills.

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Riposte exploiting an enemies miss & Reflecting an enemies attack against itself or its allies.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
The Non-combatant Adventurer (aka Princess build Warlord or LazyLord)
Reality is unrealistic - and even monkeys protest unfairness
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

At full hit points and still wounded to incapacitation? you are playing 1e.
By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

Spend 3 CS die to turn your arrow into a line attack. 
 Well if we are doing those kind of tricks how about deliver CS die of damage to all enemies adjacent to you till the start of your next turn (including when you move). Cost spend a HD.
  Creative Character Build Collection and The Magic of King's and Heros  also Can Martial Characters Fly? 

Improvisation in 4e: Fave 4E Improvisations - also Wrecans Guides to improvisation beyond page 42
Reflavoring the Fighter : The Wizard : The Swordmage - Creative Character Collection: Bloodwright (Darksun Character) 

By virtue of being a player your characters are the protagonists in a heroic fantasy game even at level one
"Wizards and Warriors need abilities with explicit effects for opposite reasons. With the wizard its because you need to create artificial limits on them, they have no natural ones and for the Warrior you need to grant permission to do awesome."

I have been thinking along those lines too:

Shield: Using a shield adds one additional dice of the same size to Parry and Defend.

Rapier, Longsword, Spear etc.: When making a Deadly Strike, you may lunge 10ft before the attack, this movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

etc.

The main drawback of connecting weapons to CS is that it locks potentially interesting weapon properties to Fighter only...
I have been thinking along those lines too:

Shield: Using a shield adds one additional dice of the same size to Parry and Defend.

Rapier, Longsword, Spear etc.: When making a Deadly Strike, you may lunge 10ft before the attack, this movement does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

etc.

The main drawback of connecting weapons to CS is that it locks potentially interesting weapon properties to Fighter only...

You don't have to lock people in or out.

Parry: Spend a CS dice to reduce damge.  If your wieldnig a shield, increse the die size by 1.

Deadly Strike: spend CS dice to do more damage.  If your wielding an Axe, increase the die size by 1.

Jab: If you havn't spent an action...  If your wielding a lightblade or spear, you can move 5 feat before the attack.

ect... 

5e houserules and tweaks.

Celestial Link Evoking Radiance into Creation

A Party Without Music is Lame: A Bard

Level Dip Guide

4e stuff

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I want to be able to throw or launch a weapon against an enemy to have it interfere with an enemies attack against my ally. In effect a ranged protect. 

We actually all just want a Captain America build.
I want to be able to throw or launch a weapon against an enemy to have it interfere with an enemies attack against my ally. In effect a ranged protect. 

Disruptive Shout
Cost 2 CS Dice

You shout and force an enemy to switch their attention to you just as they are to fire a ranged attack. The affected enemy gets Disadvantage against the original target but may opt to fire the attack against you instead without any extra penalties.
maybe also weapon based powers:

flail might have an atack :
the chain of the flail has a tencency to wrap around  shield making them less efective.
cost 1 CS dice
effect ; ignore any bonus to ac the target gained from wielding a shield.

or a very generla one
AIM
you can ainm an attack for each CS dice you spend aiming you gain a +1 to the atack roll. 
I think Garthanos was aiming towards something more like this...

Throw: interrupt
You throw your currently held weapon at a target disrupting its attack and dealing CS die damage
                                                                         or
You throw your currently held shield at a target disrupting its attack and dealing 1d6 damage 

I personally would like to see this at higher levels (and earier with a speciality)

Grace
You negate fall damage relative to the CS die you use 

I love using JRPG style dragoons, jumping with spears leads to pain normally, this just opens it up for me. 

Disruptive Shout
Cost 2 CS Dice

You shout and force an enemy to switch their attention to you just as they are to fire a ranged attack. The affected enemy gets Disadvantage against the original target but may opt to fire the attack against you instead without any extra penalties.

The latter bit only sounds plausible to me if you are adjacent to the original target.

I think Garthanos was aiming towards something more like this...

Throw: interrupt
You throw your currently held weapon at a target disrupting its attack and dealing CS die damage
                                                                         or
You throw your currently held shield at a target disrupting its attack and dealing 1d6 damage  

Closer to what I was thinking but I like the shout idea as well... ofcourse an improvised weapon like a stone kicked at the enemy could do the trick too ;-p 

The reason I mentioned protect is because damage reduction rather than absolute effects seems the order of the day... 

Grace
You negate fall damage relative to the CS die you use 

I love using JRPG style dragoons, jumping with spears leads to pain normally, this just opens it up for me. 

dragoons eh - at what point does feather fall become ummm readily available in spell casting utility arena

Sign In to post comments