WER Latency

7 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey Everyone,

I’ve been out of the office for the last few weeks recovering from a minor surgery. However, I’m back now and stronger than ever! Anyway, I wanted to create a post to track the WER Latecey that some people may be experiencing. If you experience“slowness” or “lag” with WER please reply to this post with the following information:

1. Is WER/DCI responding slowly or timing out?

2. If so, what functions?  Everything or only when you try to do certain things, and if so, what things?

3. If so, all the time or only during certain times?

4. If only during certain times, what times generally?  Is it consistent?

5. If only during certain times, generally how much slower (e.g. 1 second response normally, 5 seconds when slow)

6. Do you have any additional comments?

Thanks!
I have been attempting to check for updates since yesterday afternoon.  I continue to get an error that WER is unable to reach the update or Wizards server.  This has occured on several different networks/internet connections.  I have been able to connect to other Wizards websites and servers, including this forum, on each of those networks.

PRJ - "one million words" on MTGO

I write the State of the Program series on PureMTGO.com, appearing every Friday.

Hi,

I noticed high-latency during the prerelease weekend. During the fridaynight tournament, the midnight prerelease, and the sunday prerelease, the software was all-over slow to respond. It seemed it needed to connect to the internet when making pairings, and when entering results. I organised the tournaments at 2 different locations, both with wireless connections (WIFI, not through a cellphone), and the internet worked quick and responsive for other applications.

Normally, I use another PC to enter FNM results during the next week on office hours, then everything is quick, so it seems like a server load issue. Server load issues are weird, since for making pairings and entering results, there is no need to access the server.
Jasper Overman L3 judge Enschede, the Netherlands
WER is frequently slow.  This comes up the most when enrolling players, searching for players, and entering a new DCI number for a player who doesn't have one, but it also comes up when performing pairings.  It is especially slow on Friday nights and prerelease weekends.  I haven't timed it so I am not sure how much slower it is than usual.
Great feedback so far everyone. Just to confirm it's sounding like Big weekends and most FNM's are slow during player enrollment or player look-up. This gives us a nice window to look for potential server issues. 

Thanks and keep it coming! 
Yes, it is exceedingly slow on Fridays.  It has taken us several minutes to enter a player, more than 5 to get a new DCI number.  FWIW, I have run wireshark on the network interface and the amount of traffic between the WER (client) and the server is tremendous. 

Jim Hughes
 www.patsgames.com

1. Is WER/DCI responding slowly or timing out?    Yes.

2. If so, what functions?  Everything or only when you try to do certain things, and if so, what things? Mainly it occurs when trying to look up players that do not have their DCI Number or putting in a DCI Number that has just been filled out. Also on initial Login during peak times can take a while.

3. If so, all the time or only during certain times? The lag on this in general is not too bad, but on any Friday Night and on large event weekends(Prerelease, Game Day, etc.) it can bog down quite a bit.

4. If only during certain times, what times generally?  Is it consistent?  As above, it gets really bad during peak usage times like FNM.

5. If only during certain times, generally how much slower (e.g. 1 second response normally, 5 seconds when slow) 3-5 seconds during a normal time, 1 minute or more during peak usage times, most especially at FNMs.

6. Do you have any additional comments? Being able to do a JOE number like with Old Reporter would be great in that we could go back at a more convenient time(i.e. later in the toruney when not as busy) to take care of fixing the numbers. Also having a function to be able to let WER know that we are entering in a new DCI number could save the lag time in trying to find a number that is not in the system(though this breaks down if someone has actually used that number already, but that is a different issue really).