10/8/2012 MM: City Mail

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Making Magic, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Splice onto instant would have been so awesome.
The rule for me is that I enjoy reading Maro's articles. However, this week's was a little stale I think. Quite a lot of very overlapping questions and many things he has already answered in the past few weeks. There's not really that much new I learned today
If you can ever take the oppurtunity, please do Splice onto Instants and/or Affinity for Creatures.  I can understand if you wish to avoid the latter for balance reasons though.  But there is design space that I would love to see used, and you guys have just left sitting there...

Also, Populate doesn't really work with oldschool Selesnya.  I keep wondering why a token-producing version of Reinforce wasn't used...  (i.e.  Token Army cost - number  (cost, discard this card: Put number 1/1 saproling tokens onto the battlefield.)
I find it an interesting coincidence that both Ravnica blocks were following blocks with some spirit tribal component and as such, were obliged to include elements that supported this theme (among others). As a result, spirits are now kinda entrenched in Ravnica's flavor (Ghost Quarter and all), and the next Ravnica block will probably have spirits regardless of the block previous to it. 
It would be nice to have splice back in a way that allowed it to work with the rest of the game.

Also, Populate doesn't really work with oldschool Selesnya.  I keep wondering why a token-producing version of Reinforce wasn't used...  (i.e.  Token Army cost - number  (cost, discard this card: Put number 1/1 saproling tokens onto the battlefield.)

Yes it does, though your only choice would primarily be a saproling token.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
Point of order - for it to be a "mailbag" column, don't you have to go through your actual mailbox?

I think you need a different metaphor for "I trawled Twitter".
Point of order - for it to be a "mailbag" column, don't you have to go through your actual mailbox?

MaRo, to my knowledge, has never acknowledge the existence of the forums to which he invites readers; instead, he offers people send him email, comment on Twitter, or Tumbler, which I guess is him trying to force multimedia communication, but it decentralizes commentary. You apparently must be versed in all four to get a good sense of community interaction, and frankly I got annoyed with Mark's ego (akia, "MaRo") to unfollow him on Twitter. Better to read his ego where it can be contained ... on his column.
"Possibilities abound, too numerous to count." "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." --- P.B. Medawar (1969) "Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream: to kill him, so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things." --- Zapp Brannigan (Beast With a Billion Backs)

I feel sorry for you. Your life must be absolutely and completely miserable if you take everything in the most literal sense. Language is about communication, and he used a term that communicates the essence of the column extremely clearly. Instead of physical mail it's short, to the point electronic mail - the idea is the exact same.

MaRo, to my knowledge, has never acknowledge the existence of the forums to which he invites readers; instead, he offers people send him email, comment on Twitter, or Tumbler, which I guess is him trying to force multimedia communication, but it decentralizes commentary. You apparently must be versed in all four to get a good sense of community interaction, and frankly I got annoyed with Mark's ego (akia, "MaRo") to unfollow him on Twitter. Better to read his ego where it can be contained ... on his column.

I have no idea what's even going on in this post. It has absolutely no relation to the post it quoted, and seems to be rambling in an incoherent fashion. He has indeed acknowledged the existence of the forums and reads them just like he reads everything else. I don't see how you came up with the idea that Maro has a huge ego, or how it is somehow tied to the nickname that everybody calls him. He isn't forcing anything by being on various social networks - on the contrary, he has made himself the most accessible lead designer of any large published game in existence. Maro provides almost complete transparency into R&D, actively engages in conversation with the community, directly hears feedback and accounts for it, and even answers our questions - to date, he has answered over 10,000 questions on his Tumblr. What he is doing for Magic is incredible.

I feel sorry for you. Your life must be absolutely and completely miserable if you take everything in the most literal sense. Language is about communication, and he used a term that communicates the essence of the column extremely clearly. Instead of physical mail it's short, to the point electronic mail - the idea is the exact same.

I have no idea what's even going on in this post. It has absolutely no relation to the post it quoted, and seems to be rambling in an incoherent fashion. He has indeed acknowledged the existence of the forums and reads them just like he reads everything else. I don't see how you came up with the idea that Maro has a huge ego, or how it is somehow tied to the nickname that everybody calls him. He isn't forcing anything by being on various social networks - on the contrary, he has made himself the most accessible lead designer of any large published game in existence. Maro provides almost complete transparency into R&D, actively engages in conversation with the community, directly hears feedback and accounts for it, and even answers our questions - to date, he has answered over 10,000 questions on his Tumblr. What he is doing for Magic is incredible.

Couldn't agree more. No other game as this much access to it's designers.

I could agree more. While I agree with everything else, MaRo having an ego is something he himself even acknowledges and is one of the many running jokes, so that's not an hard idea to come up with =p
I wonder how the (very minor) theme of creatures with defender/care about how many creatures with defender are in play is going to flesh out as the block moves forward.
This is only sort of a design question, but I would have asked, why does RtR have so many giant unthinking beasts? I feel like I'm drafting in Zoo World instead of City World.

I understand that large common creatures are needed for Limited. I just feel like Creative could have come up with some sentient large creatures, like enforcement squads or powerful warriors or mages. (But maybe those don't feel "common.")

The only intelligent common creature bigger than 3/3 is Ogre Jailbreaker.

Here are all the big common "beasts": Axebane StagBatterhornCatacomb SlugCobblebruteGolgari LonglegsKorozda MonitorRubbleback RhinoSpawn of Rix MaadiTenement CrasherTerrus Wurm.

I feel like this is more beefy vanilla/french vanilla than in a normal set, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's because the smaller common creatures -- the citizens of Ravnica -- used up more of the "complexity space" at common? (This is why this is a Design question and not just a Creative question.)

Actually, you're a bit more literal than I was .  I meant email inbox, of course.  My main point was that Twitter is more of an instant poll of MaRo followers who happen to be online right then.  It's a very different dynamic than "hey, what email have I received since my last mailbag column?". 

Major question I would have liked to see answered: In what insane world are bouncelands considered too good to print, considering that they've barely seen competitive play, and they improve multicolor limited environments enormously?

The original Rav black was fascinating and fun because it took a huge number of cards that are normally hard to cast in limited and completely redefined how people thought about casting costs and deckbuilding.  The new Rav is fine in a lot of ways, but a cycle of taplands and 3-mana artifacts do not even approach the kind of fixing necessary to get people to be comfortable splashing a Golgari card in an Azorius deck, for example, and that needs to happen for people to identify more strongly with guilds than with colors.  This set has mana costs every bit as awkward as the original Rav (more, actually, since most hybrid spells aren't high picks and guildmages require massive color commitments), but instead of compensating by making card-advantage-lands, it compensates by saying "mulligan lots!"

I'm not saying that bouncelands should have been reprinted, but I am sayig that if you're going to make a multicolor set, you had darn better be willing to make common mana fixing a heck of a lot better than RTR has.  Whatever design mantra led to the belief that bouncelands are too strong is plain mistaken.

Your defense of Rosewater sounds condescending. Just saying.

Anyway, I agree with him about Izzet, Overload while great never felt really Izzet to me, and it seems like Neagle forced everyone to accept it as Izzet's mechanic without letting other designers even come up with an alternative.

I also agree with people that said this column felt stale, there were many duplicates/almost identical questions which almost made me skim it.

And lastly, by piecing together his "clues" from this article, it seems like Simic's mechanic will be a Doubling Season variant or something similar. You heard it here first

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Major question I would have liked to see answered: In what insane world are bouncelands considered too good to print, considering that they've barely seen competitive play, and they improve multicolor limited environments enormously?

The original Rav black was fascinating and fun because it took a huge number of cards that are normally hard to cast in limited and completely redefined how people thought about casting costs and deckbuilding.  The new Rav is fine in a lot of ways, but a cycle of taplands and 3-mana artifacts do not even approach the kind of fixing necessary to get people to be comfortable splashing a Golgari card in an Azorius deck, for example, and that needs to happen for people to identify more strongly with guilds than with colors.  This set has mana costs every bit as awkward as the original Rav (more, actually, since most hybrid spells aren't high picks and guildmages require massive color commitments), but instead of compensating by making card-advantage-lands, it compensates by saying "mulligan lots!"

I'm not saying that bouncelands should have been reprinted, but I am sayig that if you're going to make a multicolor set, you had darn better be willing to make common mana fixing a heck of a lot better than RTR has.  Whatever design mantra led to the belief that bouncelands are too strong is plain mistaken.

In original Ravnica limited, bouncelands were high picks purely for their card advantage, not necessarily their fixing. Thus they were picked by anyone in either of the colors, not necessarily ending up in the hands of whoever was in those colors. That's something they wanted to avoid this time. 

They were too powerful/good/strong for their role. Their role was fixing mana bases in draft. 

Also, Wizards does not want this to play like Ravnica 1.5, so they mix up things to make sure it doesn't play the same. They don't want you to play a Golgari card in an Azorius deck this time around.

Actually, you're a bit more literal than I was .  I meant email inbox, of course.  My main point was that Twitter is more of an instant poll of MaRo followers who happen to be online right then.  It's a very different dynamic than "hey, what email have I received since my last mailbag column?". 

Then say that in the first place. Now people will argue with you about something you used to spice up your point rather than your point itself. 

That he's more literal than you proves the point that you are silly for not accepting 'mailbag' as a word to describe a twitter column. Because if using that is wrong, then using it to describe email is ALSO wrong, because email does not come in a bag. That's how words work. They stick around even though technology advances. We send 'carbon copies' of mails. We 'tape' shows on tv. A phone still 'rings' when we 'dial' a number. We have 'mailbag' columns when we answer questions from twitter.

As for your main point, what exactly about the dynamic of email do you feel is lost here and is missed? That would be something more constructive for MaRo and others to read (maybe you can mail him. Or tweet him) than just another "I don't like social media" comment or something.
The new Rav is fine in a lot of ways, but a cycle of taplands and 3-mana artifacts do not even approach the kind of fixing necessary to get people to be comfortable splashing a Golgari card in an Azorius deck, for example, and that needs to happen for people to identify more strongly with guilds than with colors. 

I believe the opposite is true: the fixing is worse, which makes people more likely to play two-color decks, which makes them MORE likely to identify with a guild.  Blogged about this topic here, if you're interested.

Goblin Artisans
a Magic: the Gathering design blog
As for your main point, what exactly about the dynamic of email do you feel is lost here and is missed? That would be something more constructive for MaRo and others to read (maybe you can mail him. Or tweet him) than just another "I don't like social media" comment or something.

Conventionally, a mailbag column in a print magazine or website would be an opportunity for an author to look at all the mail they've received over a longish period of time, distil it down to the few questions that'd be most interesting to general readership, and answer those.
To me, a "mailbag" column definitely needs some element of "I've been collecting questions for a while and now the time has come to answer them". It needs to feel like if I were to send Mark an email, he might answer it in a mailbag column. 

Posting on Twitter to ask for questions has no hope of catching me; I do have a Twitter account and follow Mark, but I only check it every week or few weeks and I'm in a different time zone. It doesn't feel like a "mailbag" column so much as walking into a room of fans at a convention and saying "Hey, shout me some questions!" There's no way I could have got my question answered here if I wasn't at that convention.

(I do appreciate Blogatog very much, and Mark's answered a few of my questions on there. I'm not in any way saying Mark doesn't engage with the community - he does to an insane extent. So I don't agree with most of Qilong's rant at all. It's just that the phrase "mailbag column" doesn't feel at all like what these Twitterbag columns are.)

Nonetheless, it was a fun read. I particularly liked "which existing mechanics would you reuse for the guilds?" and seeing the numbers of attempts that the guild mechanics took.

I'm especially interested that detain was finished much later than unleash, but Azorius's detain mechanic ends up feeling so very flavourful while unleash is so mechanical and flavourless. (It's jolly effective, and Rakdos can be terrifyingly aggressive, but the mechanic is so dry, so, well, mechanical.)

As TobyornotToby said. You're not meant to be splashing Golgari in Azorius or vice versa this time round. One of the best illustrations of this is in the hybrid cards.: All the common hybrid cards are double hybrid mana, which makes (e.g.) Vassal Soul fine in an Azorius deck, slightly fiddly in an Izzet or Selesnya deck, and unsplashable in a Golgari deck with a Selesnya splash or a Rakdos deck with an Izzet splash. They're very clearly encouraging people into two-colour decks or two-colours-plus-splash, and you'll have a lot of problems if you try to build your decks the way you did in Ravnica. 

For more on this, read Jay Treat's article "Is R&D Pushing Two-Color Decks in Return to Ravnica?"

I'm sad not to get anything as good as the bouncelands at common, but I am nonetheless overjoyed to get common Coastal Towers. Time was when I traded for Ancient Amphitheater as a RW Coastal Tower land; in a few months we'll get them at common. That is definitely great for casual deckbuilders.
Splice onto instant? Yes please!

Splice onto Arcane is one of my favorite mechanics of all time, with the large amount of options and potential for abuse (thank you Izzet Guildmage) it brings. It's always been a damn shame it could only be played in an Arcane-heavy deck, though.

Peer Through Depths + Glacial Ray + Glacial Ray, copy, copy.
why does Trostani not fit a 3 in one design?(As her persona is) she fits with her guild, but not her physical traits.

"Whenever a creature comes into play, gain life blah blah blah" - That's 1.

"Tap to populate" -Well, it takes two to tango, as they say .

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.