[CONTEST] Wowfactor!

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, according to my calculations, I actually have free time this weekend! I'll close the contest about noon (a few hours after this time) Sunday, and I can have grades up by or on Monday.

Now I just need to have a good contest idea. Where are all the good ideas when you have time for them, right?

Well, I also just recently added cards to my small (really small) but ever growing archive. But I haven't seen many WOW cards lately. The criteria is simply make a WOW card. This is going to be hard, because for me it's hard to define. However, when I see it, I know it. I will judge based on my normal grading technique, but the overall goal of this contest is to wow me.

Grading:

Fits criteria - There really isn't a strict criteria for this contest. This is usually a pass/fail category, but for this category it doesn't exist.
Playability - I judge whether a card is broken, overpowered, playable, or underpowered etc.
Flavor - Whether the card works well as it is. Do the abilities match the colors etc.? This doesn't include flavor text (though flavor text can help here).

A bit about me:

Now, for those of you who don't know me too well, feel free to peek at my archive. [ARCHIVE] Altimis' Cards. That shows the cards I've designed that I'm most proud of, and cards that other people have designed that I greatly enjoyed.

I tend to be a black player at heart, and love powerful black cards. I used to have a dedicated demon deck back in the day. Zombies are good too.
Example:

Griselbrand definitely fits this bill, and not to toot my own horn, but I liked this card.

Sickleslayer -- :BM::BM::RM:
Legendary Creature - Demon (R)

Haste, First strike
Sacrifice a creature: Put a 0/1 white Spirit creature token with flying onto the battlefield, then regenerate Sickleslayer.

"Who needs the infinite wisdom of a soul, when you can have the instant gratification of a body?"
5 / 3

But I also value elegance (not that my designing ability shows that too much) CKY's designs tend to fall into this category.
Example:

There was this land CKY designed, that I was looking for (that fits this category IIRC), but I haven't been able to find it. But this was a card I enjoyed from recent times.

Scent of Prey -- :GM:
Tribal Sorcery – Wolf (R)

Prowl :GM::GM:
Put four 2/2 green Wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield.

Fear is the dinner-bell that calls Kessig's denizens out to feast

I also like creativity/thinking outside the box.
Example:

I don't remember what this was for, but catowner posted it, stating that ChaosLight might have posted it. But who can deny the power of Copying and Pasting?

Copy // Paste
Instant (X) // Instant (X)
[Copy]
Copy target instant or sorcery spell. You may choose new targets for the copies

//

[Paste]
Put a token onto the battlefield that is a copy of target creature.

I also enjoy clever thinking.
Example:

Mown posted this where the criteria was to post a four-color nephilim creature.

Soul-Mirror Nephilim --
Creature - Nephilim (X)

All creatures are the color or colors they aren't. (If a creature is white and blue, it's black, red and green instead. A creature of every color is colorless.)

When it awoke, the sun plunged into darkness and moon lit up its path.
2 / 2

And you can't forget flavor.
Example:

I designed this as part of a set I made. The flavor is wolves travel in packs, and the Alpha is the strongest. If his pack turned on him, he would live on another day.

Alpha Wolf --
Creature - Wolf (R)

First Strike
When Alpha Wolf enters the battlefield, put two 2/2 green wolf creature tokens onto the battlefield.

2 / 3

My favorite keywords:
Phasing - I play a phasing based EDH deck
Undying - I play zombies for standard
Scavenge
Unleash
Threshold
Self-Milling (When Innistrad first came out, my favorite card was Splinterfright)

*NOTE* These examples aren't all encompassing, and I'm sure there are cards I missed that I would love too. There are bazillion posts to go through and only one of me, and only minimal free time to go searching.

For those of you who enjoy restrictions:

Design a powerful (but playable) black or green card that utilizes at least one of the following:
Draws cards.
Sacrifices things.
Pays life.
Destroys things.
Preferably a permanent (Creature, Artifact, Land, Enchantment, Planeswalker).
Milling

Keep in mind, this doesn't mean design the most broken card in Magic, it just means catch my fancy. Feel free to ask questions, but I feel that I've given enough of a background to at least start the designing process. Plus I've posted over 3000 times. There's gotta be something you can use.

Good luck.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Etheral Assassin
Creature - Human Assassin

Phasing

When Etheral Assassin enters the battlefield or phases in, you may destroy target nonblack creature on the battlefield.

Now you see him, now your dead....

3/3

object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
Executor of Yawgmoth

Creature – Horror (M)
4/1

When Executor of Yawgmoth dies, exile it. Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard, and if a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile it instead.

His death is fleeting; his will, eternal.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I too am a lover of Phasing...

Azorius Chrono-Adjunct 
Creature - Human Soldier
Phasing
When Azorius Chrono-Adjunct enters the battlefield or phases in, detain target creature. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)
"According to our report, you'll soon be committing the crimes of 'public disturbance' and 'resisting arrest.'  We'll be taking you now."
2/2

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

Herald of Rebirth
Creature - Elf Cleric (MR)
Watermark: Golgari Swarm
When ~ enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
Players may play lands from their graveyard.
3/3
"Even the land itself must learn to love death in order to appreciate life."
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Hellensia Soulstalker
Legendary Creature -  Demon (MR)
Flying
Players' can't gain life.
Whenever you pay life, draw a card.
6/3
She rewards risk with more risk.

Quotes: 

Show
magicpablo666 wrote:
These cards are Ball Tightening.
I_forget_who_dammit wrote:
Perfect originality is overrated and often ugly. The best and most beautiful cards I've ever seen were clearly inspired by something else. Cards are not entirely unlike living organisms in this regard. All the good ones are a result of long evolution; the 'original' ones are either monocellular or mutant aberrations.
ColonialDragons wrote:
The weird part is reaching over the table, grabbing a card from their hand, and just staring slowly back at them, awkwardly, as you slide their voice of resurgence slowly into your pants.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Graveborn are strictly better than Zombies. I mean, look at that wicked beard. You try growing that when your dead. And I know aging fellows who are suffering from Male Pattern Baldness, who would kill for a Mop like Ribsy's over there.
magicpablo666 wrote:
Hey Dudibus, I can't take you seriously until you take your shirt off!
cats_and_me wrote:
I'm just stating what I think is their opinion! :/

Design a powerful (but playable) black or green card that utilizes at least one of the following:
Draws cards.
Sacrifices things.
Pays life.
Destroys things.
Preferably a permanent (Creature, Artifact, Land, Enchantment, Planeswalker).
Milling

After reading some of these entries, I don't think I can compete w/them. So, I'll just restrict the crap outta myself.

Salitim (p)(p)(p)(p)(p)(p)1
Artifact Creature - Troll Goat Demon
~ is Black or Green.
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, destroy a permanent, or prefer a permanent, draw a card.
Whenever you draw a card, target opponent puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

6/6

1. (p) isn't actually black phyrexian. It is colourless. There wasn't colourless phyrexian mana so I don't have a symbol for it.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Soul Feaster
Creature - Demon Horror [Rare]
Flying, Trample
If another creature would die, instead exile that creature and put a +1/+1 counter on Soul Feaster.
3/3
Berfomyx, the Ender
Legendary Creature - Horror [M]
Trample
Berfomyx's power and toughnes are each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard your hand, then draw seven cards.
You can't cast more than one spell each turn. 
*/*
Grissar, Grapplemaster
Legendary Creature - Beast Warrior
Deathtouch
Grissar, Grapplemaster has infinite instances of provoke (When this attacks, you may have any number of target creatures defending player controls untap and block it if able.)
4/3

Dominance
Enchantment

You may cast creatures your opponents control.
"I give them a just cause, just because."

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Flowering Shambler
Creature - Elemental
Trample
Whenever ~ deals damage to a player, you may search your deck for that many lands, reveal them and exile them. If you do, shuffle your library.
When ~ dies, you may put all lands exiled by ~ onto the battlefield or draw an equal number of cards.
2/2

Pretty nutso deck thinning and/or ramp with pump cards.
Prophet of the Demon Thane 
Creature - Human Cleric
Imprint     When Prophet of the Demon Thane enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of cards in your hand.
Prophet of the Demon Thane has the triggered abilities of all cards exiled this way. The triggers of those abilities become "Whenever another creature dies".
3/6

(Kill my zombies, I dare you.)
we really need a reprint.

Acidhaze Rotderm 
Creature - Fungus
X, Sacrifice Acidhaze Rotderm: Destroy all nonland permanents with converted mana cost X or less.
4/3

Milling

You don't have to say anything else.

Soul Bargain
Sorcery
Exile the top half of your library and discard your hand, then draw your library.
You have no maximum hand size and skip your draw step for the rest of the game.
"The premise of great power comes with an even greater price."

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Terrasnatch
Sorcery
Search target opponent's library for a land card and put that card onto the battlefield
tapped and under your control. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
"I give up." - Ennit the Cartographer
Temporal Strike

Instant (R)

Choose two permanents. Their controller's shuffle them into thier library.
Supercharge  Choose five permanents at random instead. (To supercharge, discard a card while ~ is on the stack.)

Hear the thunder, then feel the lightning...
New Beginning
Sorcery (M)
Shuffle your hand, graveyard, and all permanents you control into their owners' libraries. Draw seven cards. Take seven extra turns after this one. Exile New Beginning.
History was only a rough draft.
Boundless Intellect
Enchantment
Play with your library revealed.
You may play cards from your library.

ie, what Omniscience should have been with that name.
Boggler Myr

Artifact Creature-Myr (U)
If you would draft Boggler Myr, you may reveal it instead. If you do, gain ownership of a random card target drafter has drafted and that drafter gains ownership of Boggler Myr. (If you're not in a draft, this effect does nothing.)
2/2
Return Letter

Sorcery

Remove all nonland cards in your hand from the game with three time counters on them. Cards removed this way that don't have suspend gain suspend.

I waited three days to hear back 
Wow, posted my Thread with this before I saw this thread...
ANYWAYS

Land of the Lich King
4BBBB
Enchantment (debating Legendary status)

If you would draw, instead you return a card from your graveyard to your hand.

At the beginning of your upkeep, put twwo cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.

If you have no cards in your graveyard, you lose the game.

"Scavengers live as kings in my home. For everyone else, it's a barely living nightmare."- Samat Nhoj

(Samat Nhoj is a made up character, don't go looking for him.)
Tireless Sandwalkers -
Creature - Camel Beast
Flash, Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, lands you control has ": This land deals 1 damage to target attacking creature." until end of turn.
They traveled the hot, scorching deserts endlessly, unknown to them was the vastness of the desert but neither did they care.
1/2
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
This is the 4 to 5 hour warning. Any of you who need more time just PM me, but other than that, this is it.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Contest closed. Grades up asap... definitely by Monday!

I just have to say that I am impressed by a brief overview of these submissions. I look forward to grading these!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I added some flavor text because I couldn't help myself.

Yxoque wrote:

This is (WILL BE) general comments on the cards. I will pick a top three (the winners), and the most WOWfactor after I finish grading.
As I grade these, feel free to post things that I may have missed. I want my judgments to be accurate, because they will be final. I'd prefer you don't comment on designs just yet, but if you notice something that I missed, by all means, correct me.

COMPLETE!

General Corrections is just for your and everyone else's benefit. They have little to no effect on your grade (unless the errors change the functionality of the card).
Kenku's - Etheral Assassin

Etheral Assassin -- :BM::BM:
Creature - Human Assassin (X)

Phasing
When Etheral Assassin enters the battlefield or phases in, you may destroy target nonblack creature on the battlefield.

Now you see him, now your dead....
3 / 3

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Ethereal
Whenever Ethereal Assassin enters the battlefield or phases in, you may destroy target nonblack creature.

Overall, I'm surprised this effect hadn't been printed. The closest thing that I can recall is Shimmering Efreet and that was temporary removal. That being said, I feel that this is too overpowered. I feel :BM::BM: would've been a more accurate cost for this kind of effect (Comparing to Dakmor Lancer). Also, I don't know if you knew this, but I used this (almost verbatim) same flavor text on a card:

From the RPG that I completely and totally owner until my archnemesis disowned the story...

One with Shadows -- :BPM::BPM:
Instant (U)

(:BPM: can be paid with either :BM: or 2 life.)
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to target creature this turn.
If you paid life to cast One With the Shadows, return it to its owner's hand.

Now you see me, now you're dead.

If you didn't know that already, then that's funny. If you did, I really liked that flavor text and good choice!

CKY's - Executor of Yawgmoth

Executor of Yawgmoth -- :BM::BM::BM:
Creature – Horror (MR)

When Executor of Yawgmoth dies, exile it. Until end of turn, you may play cards from your graveyard, and if a card would be put into your graveyard from anywhere this turn, exile it instead.

His death is fleeting; his will, eternal.
4 / 1

===xxx===

Solid card. My only concern is that you (usually) don't have the downside of being behind three mana when you get to use the ability (like with Yawgmoth's Will, and Past in Flames). That is a MASSIVE upside, that I feel is too big to be ignored. I feel that there should be an additional cost of some kind (besides exiling itself) to balance.

AzureShade's - Azorius Chrono-Adjunct

Azorius Chrono-Adjunct  :WUM::WUM::WUM:
Creature - Human Soldier (X)

Phasing
When Azorius Chrono-Adjunct enters the battlefield or phases in, detain target creature. (Until your next turn, that creature can't attack or block and its activated abilities can't be activated.)

"According to our report, you'll soon be committing the crimes of 'public disturbance' and 'resisting arrest.'  We'll be taking you now."
2 / 2

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Whenever Azorius Chrono-Adjunct enters the battlefield or phases in, detain target creature.

This works well with most phasing decks to begin with, color-wise. This card is almost always strictly worse than Shimmering Efreet at cost. I would have given this flying, and 'may' detain for the cost and that would've been fine (I think). I really love the flavor text on this card. That's great, it reminds me of the flavor text of Inspiration, which I love!

Lobster667's - Herald of Rebirth

Herald of Rebirth -- :BM::GM:
Creature - Elf Cleric (MR)
[Golgari]
When Herald of Rebirth enters the battlefield, destroy all lands.
Players may play lands from their graveyard.

"Even the land itself must learn to love death in order to appreciate life."
3 / 3

===xxx===
General Corrections:

I think this is a very solid design. I don't know that it deserves Mythic Rare status, but it is definitely a good deal for the price. You get an Armageddon, a global Crucible of Worlds, and a 3/3 beater for :BM::GM:! I think this is a simple and great design. Not a huge fan of the flavor text here...

Dudibus' - Hellensia Soulstalker

Hellensia Soulstalker -- :BM::BM:
Legendary Creature -  Demon (MR)

Flying
Players' can't gain life.
Whenever you pay life, draw a card.

She rewards risk with more risk.
6 / 3

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Players can't gain life.

I think this is another solid design. The abilities are an interesting combination, but I'm afraid of power. It is really easy to pay life (a lot of which that I can recall) end up drawing cards anyways. This seems to be a win more card, which isn't bad, but isn't something I'm usually super excited about. I do, however, really enjoy the players can't gain life.

magicpablo666's - Salitim

Salitim -- :PM::PM::PM::PM::PM::PM:
Artifact Creature - Troll Goat Demon (X)

Salitim is Black or Green.
Whenever you sacrifice a permanent, destroy a permanent, or prefer a permanent, draw a card.
Whenever you draw a card, target opponent puts the top card of his or her library into his or her graveyard.

6 / 6

===xxx===
General Corrections:

PM in :: produces the :PM: colorless phyrexian symbol. Though I must say that it looked better last time I used it than it does now.
(:PM: can be payed with either or 2 life.)
I don't know the intent of the Black OR Green, but my assumption leads me to this wording:
As Salitim enters the battlefield, choose black or green. Salitim is that color.
-but another possible wording could be-
Salitim is Black and Green, but is treated as monocolored. (Salitim doesn't count as a multicolor card, but is affected by cards that effect black cards, and is affected by cards that effect green cards.)
-in short, I really don't know-
Comedic value aside, prefer a permanent doesn't exist yet. Or is this the new Steamflogger Boss?

So, we meet again my Official Archnemesis! It feels so good to be grading you than the other way around. Finally, I get to give you a taste of your own medicine. Blood Feud aside, my first impression of this card, was that the name was silly (for a legendary permanent). Which ironically enough makes me feel silly because upon my grading of this card I saw what you did there. I see what you did there! And now I think it is quite clever. So, bravo good sir.
Now, granted you put yourself at 10 to 12 life, this is an incredibly powerful turn 1 play. As such, it is rather powerful for what it does. I feel that maybe :PM::PM: would've been good for a 4/4 with this effect. I would've liked this better with something like :BPM::GPM: instead of how you colored it. But, that is mostly preference. Powerlevel-wise this is bonkers because of the possibility of getting it out turn 1, and going in any color deck.
That being said, I do like the thinking outside the box, and I like that you used some of my favorite creature types.

Jessica_Morgan's - Soul Feaster

Soul Feaster -- :BM::BM::BM:
Creature - Demon Horror (R)

Flying, Trample
If another creature would die, instead exile that creature and put a +1/+1 counter on Soul Feaster.

3 / 3

===xxx===
General Corrections:

I'm not 100% on this, but I feel this is the more correct wording?
If another creature would die, exile that creature and put a +1/+1 counter on Soul Feaster instead.
-other than that None-

I like this card, but I wish it had some green in it somewhere, maybe :BM::BM::GM:. Also, I would've liked to see this start at 4/4. Other than that I don't have much to say about it.

TimmyForever's - Berfomyx, the Ender

Berfomyx, the Ender -- :BM::BM::BM:
Legendary Creature - Horror (MR)

Trample
Berfomyx's power and toughnes are each equal to the number of creature cards in your graveyard.
At the beginning of your upkeep, discard your hand, then draw seven cards.
You can't cast more than one spell each turn.

* / *

===xxx===

My only concern with this card is that it doesn't have any green. Like above, this feels like it should have green. In this case I might suggest :BM::GM::GM:. This seems to be like a better Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur, and by better I mean more easily castable. I do enjoy this card very much, it reminds me of my Black/Green creature-based self-mill deck I ran until AVR. Other than lacking green, this is a solid design.

Cold_Articuno's - Grissar, Grapplemaster

Grissar, Grapplemaster -- :GM::GM::GM:
Legendary Creature - Beast Warrior (X)

Deathtouch
Grissar, Grapplemaster has infinite instances of provoke (When this attacks, you may have any number of target creatures defending player controls untap and block it if able.)

4 / 3

===xxx===

I understand the novelty of giving infinite instances of something, especially provoke; but in this case I feel it would have been easier to just spell out the reminder text. I really like this design (I used to have a deck based on Lure and better-than-Deathtouch... and Leery Fogbeast). This is a solid out of the box design. Good work!

Mown's - Dominance

Dominance -- :UM::UM:
Enchantment (X)

===xxx===

Short, simple, elegant. I would say something about confusion but I think you were the one who posted a card along these lines: Artifacts are artifacts. Other than that, I really like this design. It has teh potential of being really good (as long as you have similar colors), but it could also possibly just work as an annoyer. It depends on how you build the deck really. I like it. I like it a lot.

Exxile72's - Flowering Shambler

Flowering Shambler -- :GM::GM::GM:
Creature - Elemental (X)

Trample
Whenever Flowering Shambler deals damage to a player, you may search your deck for that many lands, reveal them and exile them. If you do, shuffle your library.
When Flowering Shambler dies, you may put all lands exiled by it onto the battlefield or draw an equal number of cards.

2 / 2

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Whenever Flowering Shambler deals damage to a player, you may search your library for that many land cards and exile them.
When Flowering Shambler dies, choose one - put all land cards exiled by it onto the battlefield, or draw cards equal to the number of land cards exiled by it.

Upon reworking the card, I feel this is vastly overpowered. However, some changes I would make (without really altering power level):
Whenever Flowering Shambler deals combat damage to a player, you may search your library for up to that many land cards and exile them. If you do, shuffle your library.
When Flowering Shambler dies, for each land card exiled by it, you may put it onto the battlefield tapped under your control. Otherwise, draw a card.
This slightly powers it down, slightly, but the mana cost needs to be increased, and the body will probably need to match. Maybe, 4/4 for :GM::GM::GM:? Also, the lands entering tapped is vital considering you could just completely unload 6+ lands upon it's death.

infinight's - Prophet of the Demon Thane

Prophet of the Demon Thane -- :BPM::BPM:
Creature - Human Cleric (X)

Imprint - When Prophet of the Demon Thane enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of cards in your hand.
Prophet of the Demon Thane has the triggered abilities of all cards exiled this way. The triggers of those abilities become "Whenever another creature dies".

3 / 6

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Imprint - When Prophet of the Demon Thane enters the battlefield, you may exile any number of cards from your hand.
Prophet of the Demon Thane has the triggered abilities of each of the exiled cards, except they only trigger whenever another creature dies.

I like the concept of this card, but I don't know entirely if it works. I mean I understand how it's supposed to work, but I just don't know if that wording is the most correct (Go get it you wording experts out there, I am curious). As for the card, it seems to be rather inconclusive as to what it wants to be. The body and ability suggests some kind of demon. the name and type suggest a weaker body. I think the cost is solid for the ability and body (maybe 3/5), but I feel that Human Cleric is the wrong creature type (more the human than the cleric) choice for this card. I do like Demon Clerics, so I might be slightly biased... only slightly I guess.

Knifethrower's - Acidhaze Rotderm

Acidhaze Rotderm  -- :BM::GM:
Creature - Fungus (X)

:XM:, Sacrifice Acidhaze Rotderm: Destroy all nonland permanents with converted mana cost X or less.

4 / 3

===xxx===

I feel that this should require a tap to activate. other than that, this is hundreds of times better than Ratchet Bomb, which was good to begin with. Also, I feel this is much much better than Steel Hellkite. I feel mirroring Acidic Slime would've been good (for the body and deathtouch) and keeping the cost the same. I would probably make the cost :XM::XM: at the very least... and probably include a :T: as well. All while maintaining the sacrifice clause. I think this is a really REALLY overpowered design. Unless I'm missing something huge here.

Fenix.'s - Soul Bargain

Soul Bargain -- :BM::BM::BM::BM:
Sorcery (X)

Exile the top half of your library and discard your hand, then draw your library.
You have no maximum hand size and skip your draw step for the rest of the game.

"The premise of great power comes with an even greater price."

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Exile the top half of your library, rounded up and discard your hand. Then draw your library.
You have no maximum handsize or draw step for the rest of the game.

I don't know if draw your library is appropriate wording, but it's intuitive and I don't think it has a precedence, so I kept it. I like the the first half of the spell. I dislike the second half. I feel that this is decently costed enough, but also that it's rather blah. It is almost entirely upside. To me, Griselbrand is better in the you still have to work a bit to win with it department. With this card, you lose half your deck, but you can play anything thing you want afterwards. From what I saw, the second ability doesn't live up to the standards the first ability presents.

SpringJack's - Terrasnatch

Terrasnatch -- :GM::UM:
Sorcery (X)

Search target opponent's library for a land card and put that card onto the battlefield

"I give up."
-Ennit the Cartographer-

===xxx===

I really like this card. It's simple and elegant. It works well in those colors. The flavor text is great. This would be a fun card (to me) to play with I think. Great job!

vlord's - Temporal Strike

Temporal Strike -- :RM::RM:
Instant (R)

Choose two permanents. Their controller's shuffle them into thier library.
Supercharge — Choose five permanents at random instead. (To supercharge, discard a card while Temporal Strike is on the stack.)

Hear the thunder, then feel the lightning...

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Choose two target permanents. The owners of those permanents shuffle them into their libraries.
Supercharge - Choose five target permanents at random instead. The owners of those permanents shuffle them into their libraries (To supercharge a spell, discard a card as an additional cost to casting it.)
-targets are already chosen when it is on the stack. Also, I'm lost with the proper wording on this card, but you get the idea-

I think this is an interesting ability, but I feel that this has blue written all over it. Sure, it's random if it's supercharged, but without the supercharge this is ultimately a blue spell. Also, the name and flavor text seem to prepare for a burn spell, which this isn't. It's slightly confusing. I do like the concept of Supercharge, I get this haunting image of a creeper struck by lightning. The wording needed some tweaking, but overall the idea is interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the random targeting, or random in general either. I personally find it unfun and dangerous to play.

Steinhauser's - New Beginning

New Beginning -- :UM::UM::UM:
Sorcery (M)

Shuffle your hand, graveyard, and all permanents you control into their owners' libraries. Draw seven cards. Take seven extra turns after this one. Exile New Beginning.

History was only a rough draft.

===xxx===

I have absolutely no idea where to start with this card. Not a single clue. I just feel that this card is broken, but no real examples are coming up right now. This is definitely outside the box, but I'm at a serious loss as to what to think about this card. I think this card essentially means you win. Taking two extra turns usually means you win, but seven extra turns... even if it's from turn 1. I would err on the side of caution with this card. Seven free turns has just way too much potential.

EyeballFrog's - Boundless Intellect

Boundless Intellect -- :UM::UM::UM:
Enchantment (X)

Play with your library revealed.
You may play cards from your library.

===xxx===

This has the similar critique to Soul Bargain. This spell is big, but it lacks oomph.

turnip_song's - Boggler Myr

Boggler Myr --
Artifact Creature - Myr (U)

If you would draft Boggler Myr, you may reveal it instead. If you do, gain ownership of a random card target drafter has drafted and that drafter gains ownership of Boggler Myr. (If you're not in a draft, this effect does nothing.)

2 / 2

===xxx===

I really like this card. It is outside of the box, and can really be fun(?) to play with in limited. I think this effect is interesting and deserves merit for creativity, despite it's very limited usage. I like it, but I feel this kind of card would be short-lived like Serum Powder.

an_endless_epidemic's - Return Letter

Return Letter -- :UM::UM::UM:
Sorcery (X)

Remove all nonland cards in your hand from the game with three time counters on them. Cards removed this way that don't have suspend gain suspend.

I waited three days to hear back.

===xxx===
General Corrections:

Exile all nonland cards from your hand with three time counters on them. If any card exiled this way doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

I think this card has potential. It is creative in it's way in that you have to wait three turns before seeing the effects of it. That I like. It's a massive investment, but it can be very rewarding. I love the flavor. This does slightly fall into the big spell, but meh ability category; but I think this does it in a more interesting way than most. I do feel like it could have included red. That seems to fit this spell very well. I probably would've made it red instead of blue. But I think :UM::RM::RM: would work too.

Gearmaster's - Land of the Lich King

Land of the Lich King -- :BM::BM::BM::BM:
Enchantment (X)

If you would draw, instead you return a card from your graveyard to your hand.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put two cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.

"Scavengers live as kings in my home. For everyone else, it's a barely living nightmare."
-Samat Nhoj
-

===xxx===
General Corrections:

At the beginning of your upkeep, put two cards from the top of your library into your graveyard.
If you would a card, return a card from your graveyar to your hand instead.

Overall, this is a fairly decent functioning card. It's overcosted, but the card itself could be possible. I think :BM::BM::BM: should be okay, maybe even :BM::BM:. It's just too easy these days to remove graveyards from existance. It basically follows the Lich cycle in it's own way.

ConfusedAsUsual's - Tireless Sandwalkers

Tireless Sandwalkers -- :WM::WM:
Creature - Camel Beast (X)

Flash, Vigilance
When Tireless Sandwalkers enters the battlefield, lands you control have ":T:: This land deals 1 damage to target attacking creature." until end of turn.

They traveled the hot, scorching deserts endlessly, unknown to them was the vastness of the desert but neither did they care.
1 / 2

===xxx===
General Corrections:

I like the combination of Camels, and Desert effects. I think it is interesting, but I'm tired and I've been doing this for 6 hours straight. So, short and simple response. It's an interesting combination of effects. It reminds me of Village Bell-Ringer. Sorry... I need a break.

Runner's Ups:

Deathtouch

4 / 3

===xxx===
I like this card, but seeing infinite reduces the novelty for me. I like the outside of the box thinking, but it was just carried out in a way that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

AND

Sorcery (X)

===xxx===

I like the potential this card has, but I feel that it is out of color, and or slightly overcosted. The effect is great though, the flavor too.

Third Place:

Flying, Trample

3 / 3

===xxx===

It's a simple but powerful card. It's definitely playable, and it reminds me of Desecration Demon, only better. This would work well in many current standard black decks (utilizing Bloodflow Connoisseur and/or Bloodthrone Vampire). This is a great design, good work!

Second Place:

I feel bad having to have done this, but honestly, I have been trying to decide which one I like better for over an hour now, so I just gave them both first place. Who, might you ask? Well...
First Place:

Mown's - Dominance

Enchantment (X)

===xxx===
This card has everything I was looking for! It's simple. It's different. And it's a not horribly broken card! This reminded me of a mechanic I designed a while back. I can't think of much else to say besides this was a great card. To me, that's what makes it such a great card. Awesome job!

AND

Sorcery (X)

"I give up."
-Ennit the Cartographer-

===xxx===
Simply awesome. A card that fetches any land is good. A card that steals that land from an opponent is (arguably) better. This is another specimen of simple, powerful and greatness! Again, this is simply awesome! Great job!

Most Interesting submission:

So, there are the three cards I'm putting in my Archive. The last one, is this:
Boggler Myr --

If you would draft Boggler Myr, you may reveal it instead. If you do, gain ownership of a random card target drafter has drafted and that drafter gains ownership of Boggler Myr. (If you're not in a draft, this effect does nothing.)

2 / 2

===xxx===

I mentioned it before that I feel this would be one of those fad cards, that lose interest after a while, but are really hyped in the beginning. I still think that this card is really cool. In a draft, replacing someone's pick with a modest creature for potentially crippling their game plan is pretty cool. Definitely not common, it'd be a shame to waste it as a rare so I think uncommon was perfect for this, and I think this ability was just great! This design really is a work of art.

[/sblock]
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Comments are done... I need a break!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Artifacts are Artifacts is the best card wording ever.
Man, I love that card, I had already forgotten. I need to store my utmost clever unprintables somewhere.

Also, random bump, since I'm here.

Yxoque wrote:

Artifacts are Artifacts is the best card wording ever.
Man, I love that card, I had already forgotten. I need to store my utmost clever unprintables somewhere.

Also, random bump, since I'm here.

I'm only on for less ten minutes (break at work), I've been at work. I'll declare winners in a few hours, when I have proper time.
Even when I'm not supposed to be busy, I'm busy. Work sucks like that sometimes!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
WINNERS ARE POSTED!!!

(Here too, for easy access)

Runner's Ups:

Deathtouch

4 / 3

===xxx===
I like this card, but seeing infinite reduces the novelty for me. I like the outside of the box thinking, but it was just carried out in a way that wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

AND

Sorcery (X)

===xxx===

I like the potential this card has, but I feel that it is out of color, and or slightly overcosted. The effect is great though, the flavor too.

Third Place:

Flying, Trample

3 / 3

===xxx===

It's a simple but powerful card. It's definitely playable, and it reminds me of Desecration Demon, only better. This would work well in many current standard black decks (utilizing Bloodflow Connoisseur and/or Bloodthrone Vampire). This is a great design, good work!

Second Place:

I feel bad having to have done this, but honestly, I have been trying to decide which one I like better for over an hour now, so I just gave them both first place. Who, might you ask? Well...
First Place:

Mown's - Dominance

Enchantment (X)

===xxx===
This card has everything I was looking for! It's simple. It's different. And it's a not horribly broken card! This reminded me of a mechanic I designed a while back. I can't think of much else to say besides this was a great card. To me, that's what makes it such a great card. Awesome job!

AND

Sorcery (X)

"I give up."
-Ennit the Cartographer-

===xxx===
Simply awesome. A card that fetches any land is good. A card that steals that land from an opponent is (arguably) better. This is another specimen of simple, powerful and greatness! Again, this is simply awesome! Great job!

Most Interesting submission:

So, there are the three cards I'm putting in my Archive. The last one, is this:
Boggler Myr --

2 / 2

===xxx===

I mentioned it before that I feel this would be one of those fad cards, that lose interest after a while, but are really hyped in the beginning. I still think that this card is really cool. In a draft, replacing someone's pick with a modest creature for potentially crippling their game plan is pretty cool. Definitely not common, it'd be a shame to waste it as a rare so I think uncommon was perfect for this, and I think this ability was just great! This design really is a work of art.

Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to everyone who participated!
There are a lot of great submissions out there it was really difficult to narrow it down to what I did.
I hope you all had a fun time!
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Instead of "infinite instances of provoke", it should've said "When ~ attacks, untap any number of creatures the defending player controls. Those creatures block ~ this turn if able."
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Yay third place!
Sign In to post comments