Help! I've been gone too long! Fix my Ranger

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi Guys,

I haven't played with my 4e characters in about three years, but we'll be picking them up again soon. My problem, however, is that when I stopped playing, ranger pit fighters were still allowed. Looking back through the ranger guide, I saw that WotC, in its infinate wisdom, demolished my character in the May 2010 errata. ARGH!!!

So now I have a 9th level high-wisdom ranger who I have no idea what to do with. I'm a bit overwhelmed by options right now - is there a good paragon path that puts high wisdom to use? I don't need to have something optimized, but I'd like something fun and functional. Please, all suggestions appreciated! 

Pakku
Ranger level 9
Dwarf
HP 74
AC 27
Fort 22
Ref 18
Will 21
S18
C17
D11
I8
W18
C10
Dual weilding craghammers
Toughness, Armor Proficiency (Chainmail, scale, plate), Dwarven Weapon Training, weapon expertise (Hammer)
Twin Strike, Hit and Run, Evasive Strike, Thudnertusk Boar Strike, Sweeping Whirlwind, Jaws of the Wolf, Two-wolf Pounce, Attacks on the Run, Evade Ambush, Yield Ground
Resounding Craghammer +2, Viscious Craghammer +2, Distance throwing hammer +1, Gith Plate Armor +3, Summoned Rimefire Plate +2, Amulet of Physical Resolve +3, Iron Armbands of Power, Elven Boots, Diadem of acuity, 
Maybe what I want to be doing is starting here:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...(the_Sticky_Striker)?pg=1

But changing the build to work with hammers instead of heavy blades. Still relies on wisdom. Any other ideas? 
Have you checked out the Ranger handbook?  There's a great deal of current information in there.  Thrill of the Hunt: The Ranger's Handbook

If you're focused purely on damage, LordDuskBlade has a dual wield build called Slash & Dash you could base yours from.  Since you're a Dwarf (or Mul), you'd pick up feats like DWT instead of Bastard Sword Proficiency and update other parts of it as necessary, but you should still be perfectly servicable.

Your 18 Strength at level 9 is pretty concerning.  16+2 Racial should be your minimum starting point, hitting a 20 by level 9.  What is all that Wisdom doing for you?  You've spent three feats on armor profiency, you could instead just boost your Dex score.  Alternatively, you could either Hybrid or MC Cleric for Battle Cleric's Lore which grants Chainmail Scale profiency and a free +2 shield bonus to your AC.  In fairness, BCL didn't exist when you stopped playing.

Speaking of hybrid Cleric, Dwarves make very good Ranger|Cleric hybrids.  Rather than dual wielding you'd probably focus on a single two-hander instead, but both directions work just fine.

Edit:  Not sure why I said chainmail for BCL.  Oh well, Scale is awesome either way. 
Ranger|Cleric is excellent since the warpriest came out with essentials.  Also check out the build in my sig, it needs a few tweaks, but I've mostly got it where I want it.
Thanks guys, the Wisdom was to take advantage of all the ranger powers that allow wisdom based moves and that was going to make me have a lot of static damage bonuses when I became a pit fighter. I have looked extensively at the ranger's handbook, but as far as I could tell pitfighter was the only reasonable wisdom based paragon path. The warpriest build looks like about as close as I get to having a paragon path that cares about wisdom and it keeps the armor bonus I was going to get from pit fighter. I have to reimmurse myself to figure out what all these feats and powers are so that I can adopt the builds to work with hammers and hammer rhythm. I'll look at your signature builds Jugulator, thanks.
There's always the option of talking with the DM, and seeing if s/he'll let you ignore that change.... The obvious alternate is, of course, kensai.  +1 to hit and +4 damage is usually actually better than +6 damage. (yeah, the powers are lame in comparison.  Oh well)

"Nice assumptions. Completely wrong assumptions, but by jove if being incorrect stopped people from making idiotic statements, we wouldn't have modern internet subculture." Kerrus
Practical gameplay runs by neither RAW or RAI, but rather "A Compromise Between The Gist Of The Rule As I Recall Getting The Impression Of It That One Time I Read It And What Jerry Says He Remembers, Whatever, We'll Look It Up Later If Any Of Us Still Give A Damn." Erachima

Kensei may be mechanically better, but soooooooo boring.  And the powers do blow, although it gives you some RM fodder at 11 I suppose.
Pakku has always wanted to do unnatural things with her Craghammer...
How does Kensai work with dual wielders? I thought it let you fall madly in love with one craghammer - does WotC allow for Menage a Hammer?
Is there a real reason to not just lower the wisdom and put it somewhere more useful?  The DM should understand that things changed since you made the decision to go so high...
How does Kensai work with dual wielders? I thought it let you fall madly in love with one craghammer - does WotC allow for Menage a Hammer?

Kensei Focus (11th level): You gain a +1 bonus to weapon attack rolls with a melee weapon of your choice.
    Kensei Mastery (16th level): You gain a +4 bonus to damage rolls with the same weapon you selected for Kensei Focus. If you ever use a different kind of weapon, you lose this benefit, and the benefit of Kensei Focus, until you take a short rest, during which time you reattune yourself to your chosen weapon with a short meditation.

Emphasis mine.  I'm pretty sure it applies to /both/ weapon attacks, not a specific weapon. 
Ditching the wisdom would probably be acceptable to the DM, but after nine levels having Pakku suddenly become extremely agile but rather foolish would be kind of jarring. When I started the character, obviously I was aiming for pitfighter and wisdom was attractive. I also very much liked the extremely high perception and insight checks. Becuase so many ranger powers give free moves based on wisdom, slow dwarven Pakku was usually the most mobile character on the board, and it really helped her get to the right target. 

I am asking the DM if he will allow pitfighter, and if he declines I will have to figure out that warpriest build (which seems promising) or just play my level 9 avenger (and then I'll have to figure out what to do with his paragon path!) 
Okay, here's what I got. Noting that my equipment is what I have at 9th level, here's what I'm thinking for fixing this character as she would appear at level 16:
Show

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======

Pakku the Morninglord,
level 16 Dwarf, Ranger, Morninglord

Fighting Style Option: Two-Blade Fighting Style Ranger Option: Prime Shot
Background: Cormyr (General) (Cormyr (General) Benefit)
Theme: Guardian
FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 22, CON 17, DEX 12, INT 9, WIS 18, CHA 12
STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 12, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 11
AC: 30 Fort: 30 Ref: 25 Will: 27
HP: 114 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 28
TRAINED SKILLS Athletics +19, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +17, Insight +23, Perception +21, Religion +12
UNTRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +9, Arcana +7, Bluff +9, Diplomacy +9, Endurance +13, History +7, Intimidate +9, Nature +12, Stealth +9, Streetwise +9, Thievery +9

POWERS
Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience
Hunter's Quarry Power: Hunter's Quarry
Avenger Feature: Oath of Enmity

Ranger Attack 1: Twin Strike Ranger Attack 1: Marauder's Rush Ranger
Utility 2: Begin the Hunt
Ranger Attack 3: Disruptive Strike
Ranger Attack 5: Two-Wolf Pounce Ranger
Utility 6: Weave Through the Fray
Ranger Attack 7: Lashing Leaves
Ranger Attack 9: Attacks on the Run