[48-hour Contest] Soulbond Mounts or Mounters

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since Soulbond is, likely, the cleanest mount mechanic we'll get from Wizards, let's make it into a "true" mount mechanic by restricting what the creature can be paired with.
Example cards
Dragon Tamer {3RR}
Creature -- Human
Soulbond
~ can only be paired with a Dragon.
As long as Dragon Tamer is paired with another creature, both creatures have flying and “R: This creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn”.
3/3

Charging Mustang {1RG}
Creature -- Horse
Soulbond
Haste
~ can only be paired with a Knight, Samurai, or Warrior
As long as Charging Mustang is paired with another creature, both creatures have first strike.
3/3

Rubric:
Criteria: 10 points (mounting/mounted creature, restriction)
Color pie: 10 points
Balance: 5 points
Flavor: 5 points

All entries are final upon initial posting.  Thus, edits other than formatting changes will result in immediate disqualification.
Tamed Gryphon
Creature - Gryphon
Soulbound

Tamed Gryphon can only be paired with a Human, Knight, or Soldier

If Tamed Gryphon is paired with a Knight, Tamed Gryphon gets +1/+1

As long as Tamed Gryphon is paired with another creature, both creatures have flying, vigilance, and ", prevent one damage to the other creature of this pairing."

2/2
object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
Hmmm, why not? I'll give it a go but take it in an entirely different direction while still keeping the theme!

Stealer of Purity
Creature - Demon
Soulbond
Purity Stealer can only be paired with a white or green creature.
As long as Purity Stealer is paired with another creature, both creatures get -2/-2 and double strike.
6/6
Pain will motivate even the most righteous souls to battle.

Favored Rival 2R
Creature - Human Warrior
Soulbond
Favored Rival can only be paired with a human.
As long as Favored Rival is paired with another creature, both creatures have protection from each other's colors.
2/2

Unstable Elemental 1UU
Creature - Elemental
Soulbond
Unstable Elemental can only be paired once.
As long as Unstable Elemental is paired with another creature, both creatures have +3/+3.
At the beginning of your endstep, if Unstable Elemental is not paired, sacrifice it.
1/1

Also, no idea why the post won't let me have more than one instance of mana symbols no matter how I try to format the post. Oh well, not a big deal.
Frag...I forgot to post the creature type...ok to edit to fix that?
object width="300" height="100" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000">
it's a formatting/templating error, so yes.

Charging Mustang {1RG}
Creature -- Horse
Soulbond
Haste
~ can only be paired with a Knight, Samurai, or Warrior
As long as Charging Mustang is paired with another creature, both creatures have first strike.
3/3

But how big is this Horse? Can it me mounted by this guy? Or this one? What about Tolsy? He clearly already has a preferred Mount. Same goes for AR. . .

Oh. That last one makes me have conceptual thoughts.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Alpha Dog

Creature--Hound

~ can only be paired with a Hound, Werewolf, or Wolf

As long as ~ is paired, both creatures get +2/+2 and have trample. 2/2
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
There's a day and a small ammount of change left for entries. 
Deepwater Monstrosity

Soulbond

~ can only be bonded with a merfolk

Islandwalk

When ~ is paired, all lands become islands in addition to their other types.

7/7

It slithers through the deep, waiting for it's master, for when he comes, the beast will rise up and drown the world in a torrential apocalypse.
Because Elves are only cool when they ride Dinosaurs:

Llanowarosaurus
Creature - Dinosaur
( can be paid with or by exiling a green card from your hand.)
Elfbond (You may pair this creature with an unpaired elf when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Llanowarosaurus is paired with another creature both creatures have +X/+X, where X is the amount of Green mana in you mana pool.

4/4

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Magicpablo666 stole my idea!!! I call cheats!

Elder Conclave Dragon -- :GM::GM::WM::WM:
Creature - Dragon Elemental (MR)

Dragonbond (You may pair this creature with another unpaired dragon when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Elder Conclave Dragon is paired with another dragon, both creatures have "At the beginning of your upkeep, put a 4/4 green and white dragon creature onto the battlefield."

It took centuries of patience, but the Selesnyans have perfected the art of cloning eons old dragons.
7 / 7

===xxx===
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Wargs of Teetering Peek
Creature - Hound
Soulbond
~ can only be paired with Goblins.
As long as ~ is paired with another creature, both creatures have flanking and cannot be blocked except by two or more creatures.
"Only beasts as unlikable as Wargs can tolerate Goblins."
3/3

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Rishadan Honorguard -

Creature - Human Soldier

Soulbond

~ can only be paired with humans.

~ and each creature paired with it have 'This creature has bands other soulbonded creatures.'

0/4
Contest closed a bit late.  Grades up as soon as possible.
I realize I don't have everyone graded yet, but I'll get the rest graded over the next few days.

Kenku: 29.25/30

Criteria: 10/10
Color pie: 10/10
Balance: 4.25/5
Flavor: 5/5
Thoughts
Kenku, you, nearly, aced it with Trained Griffin.  Yes, I just corrected your spelling to match the spelling Wizards uses.  Your card matched my criteria and the color pie precisely with great flavor to boot.  I docked .75 from balance because of the ambiguity of the griffin’s rarity.  I can see this card at either a well-balanced common or a very slightly below-the-curve uncommon.

Wordstitcher: 35.25/90 total
Specific grades
Stealer of Purity: 14/30
Criteria: 2/10
Color pie: 5/10
Balance: 2/5

Granted, it’s not splashable, but six-costing 6/6es are hard to come by in black.  On top of that, it’s horribly abusable with colors, at least, partially known for tiny creatures.  While you have a restriction, it’s not what I asked for.  Finally, there are only two monoblack creatures that have anything to do with double strike.  Thus, granting that ability is way off color for black.

Favored Rival: 11.25/30
Color pie: 0/10
Balance: 4.25/5

I love the flavor here, but monored doesn’t grant protection.  It’s probably a bit too efficient as well.

Unstable Elemental: 10/30
Color pie: 0/10
Balance: 3/5

Great flavor again.  Monoblue doesn’t get pump.  Your restriction creates memory issues and isn’t what I asked for.  It’s, possibly, underpowered since it disappears if it isn’t paired.

bay_watcher: 22/30

Criteria: 3/10
Balance: 5/5
Thoughts
This is the fourth card so far that doesn’t fit the mounted/mounting part of the restriction.  You, however, got full marks on balance, color pie, and flavor.

an_endless_epidemic: ?/30

Criteria: ?/10
Color pie: ?/10
Balance: ?/5
Flavor: ?/5
Thoughts
Coming soon

magicpablo666: 28/30

Criteria: 10/10
Balance: 3/5