preventing damage

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
if i attack with two creatuers and my opponent has a card with the ability to prevent the next 1 damange if one of my creatures has lifelink will i gain all the life from it the card that prevents damage does not specify a target its just the next 1 damage
assuming your two creatures hit simultaneously, if your opponent chooses to prevent the damage from the one with lifelink, then you won't gain life for that prevented damage

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Most effects like this will specify that the controller choose a source. What was the name of the card?

If not, your opponent chooses which damage to prevent at the time that damage would have been dealt. If he chooses to prevent 1 damage from the creature with lifelink, you'll gain 1 less life than you would have otherwise.
the card in particular is security blockade, my opponent attacked me with a 3/3 lifelink and a 3/3 creature, does my security blockade allow me to choose to prevent one 'lifelink' damage from the pool of 6 damage? or does the opponent decide which damage is prevented?
Yes. You always choose how and what kinds of damage you want to prevent, including being able specifically prevent one damage from the creature with lifelink.

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

edit: fixed

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Wait, which one is it?  It would seem that the controller of the [C]Security Blockade [/C]_would be the one to choose, right?
not necessarily
with replacement effects it's always the affected player that chooses how to apply them

so depending which land it enchants it might not be the controller of Security Blockade
proud member of the 2011 community team

ok, but in that instance (described in post #4), the affected player (who is also the controller of the aura) decides.  If that is correct, then 2goth's answer is incorrect, right?  That's what was confusing me.  Looking back, I guess there was some confusion since the OP kind of switched the example around in his two posts.

Thanks for the clarification.

seems like he has misread the question
proud member of the 2011 community team
Sign In to post comments