explanation where little unicorns come from

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Right now, I'm kind of satisfied with the current version of "dreaming" as mechanic on some other cards that I made, so here's the current version of "wishing" together with my hopefully convincing explanation how unicorns reproduce:

Lover's Glade
Land - Forest Plains
Lover's Glade enters play tapped.
, tap two untapped unicorns you control, : Wish for a unicorn. (Reveal the card on top of your library. Up to five times, you may put the last card revealed this way on the bottom and reveal the card on top of your library. If the last card revealed this way is a unicorn card, put that card into your hand.)

And here's another random land card:

Tranquil Highlands
Land - Mountain Forest
Soulbond
Tranquil Highlands enters play tapped.
As long as Tranquil Highlands is paired with a creature, that creature has ": Add or to your mana pool."

Peaceful Flatlands
Land - Forest Plains
Soulbond
Peaceful Flatlands enters play tapped.
As long as Peaceful Flatlands is paired with a creature, that creature has ": Add or to your mana pool."

And here's the rest of the cards that I already designed for a set around wishes + dreams:

my blue cards

Beguiling Selkie -
Creature - Merfolk
Vigilance
Whenever Beguiling Selkie attacks, you may tap it. If you do, target creature gets -4/-0 until end of turn.
2/3

Turtleform -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: That creature gets -1/+1 until end of turn. (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
Enchanted creature gets -4/+4.

Waterform -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: When that creature untaps during its controller's next untap step, he or she puts it on top of his or her library unless he or she pays . (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
When enchanted creature untaps during its controller's untap step, he or she puts it on top of his or her library.

my white cards

Amorous Unicorn -
Creature - Unicorn
When Amorous Unicorn enters play, it bonds with target unpaired creature an opponent controls. (Pair them, and they remain paired for as long as players don't lose control of them.)
As long as Amorous Unicorn is paired with another creature, prevent all damage they would deal to each other.
3/4

Chastity -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: That creature gains protection from non-white until end of turn. (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
Enchanted creature has protection from non-white.

Dazzling Selkie -
Creature - Merfolk
Vigilance
Whenever Dazzling Selkie attacks, you may tap it. If you do, you may tap up to two target creatures.
2/3

Devoted Protector -
Creature - Unicorn
Soulbond
If Devoted Protector is paired with another creature and that creature would be destroyed, you may regenerate it and sacrifice Devoted Protector instead.
3/3

Golden Skin -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: That creature doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step unless he or she pays . (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
Enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

my green cards

Alluring Selkie -
Creature - Merfolk
Vigilance
Whenever Alluring Selkie attacks, you may tap it. If you do, target creature blocks this turn if able.
2/3

Honey Coat -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: When that creature untaps during its controller's next untap step, each of his or her opponents may summon a green 2/2 bear creature token. (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
When enchanted creature untaps during its controller's untap step, each opponent may summon a green 2/2 bear creature token.

Inspired Guardian -
Creature - Unicorn
Soulbond
As long as Inspired Guardian is paired with another creature and they're blocking together, they both get +2/+3.
2/3

Stalking Unicorn -
Creature - Unicorn
When Stalking Unicorn enters play, it bonds with target unpaired creature an opponent controls. (Pair them, and they remain paired for as long as players don't lose control of them.)
As long as Stalking Unicorn is paired with another creature, they block each other if able.
3/4

Temptation -
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
, exile this card from your hand as dream of target creature: That creature must be blocked this turn if able. (As long as it's exiled this way, you may cast this card as though it had flash, if able targeting the creature it's a dream of.)
Enchanted creature must be blocked if able.

my red cards

Inspired Charger -
Creature - Unicorn
Soulbond
As long as Inspired Charger is paired with another creature and they're attacking together, they both get +3/+2.
3/2

Jealous Unicorn -
Creature - Unicorn
When Jealous Unicorn enters play, it bonds with target unpaired creature an opponent controls. (Pair them, and they remain paired for as long as players don't lose control of them.)
As long as Jealous Unicorn is paired with another creature, double all damage they would deal to each other.
3/4

my land cards

Lover's Glade
Land - Forest Plains
Lover's Glade enters play tapped.
, tap two untapped unicorns you control, : Wish for a unicorn card. (Reveal the card on top of your library. Up to five times, you may put that card on the bottom and reveal the card on top of your library. If the last card revealed this way is a unicorn card, put that card into your hand.)

Peaceful Flatlands
Land - Forest Plains
Soulbond
Peaceful Flatlands enters play tapped.
As long as Peaceful Flatlands is paired with a creature, that creature has ": Add or to your mana pool."

Tranquil Highlands
Land - Mountain Forest
Soulbond
Tranquil Highlands enters play tapped.
As long as Tranquil Highlands is paired with a creature, that creature has ": Add or to your mana pool."

Aw. I like Wishing a lot more than Dreaming. Super cute. Kinda might need a slight wording thing, but I ain't so good with the words.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
As pable says.

Wish for a Unicorn (Reveal the top card of your library, you may put that card on the bottom of it. Repeat this process 5 times. Reveal the top card of your library, put it into your hand if it is a Unicorn card)

Also with a little funktional change:

Wish for a Unicorn (Look at the top card of your library, you may put that card on the bottom of it. Repeat this process 5 times. Reveal the top card of your library, put it into your hand if it is a Unicorn card) 
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
If the first card is a unicorn card, why should I reveal it five more times? What about this: "Up to five times, reveal the card on top of your library and you may put this card on the bottom of it. If the last card revealed this way is a unicorn card, put it into your hand." By the way, I like your suggestion of wishing for a unicorn rather than a unicorn card, I'll change that immediately!
Why not just "Look at the too five cards of your library. You may reveal a Unicorn card from among them and put it in your hand, then put the rest on the bottom of your library." More of a standard wording. I'm not sure if you're trying to increase the suspense or something, in the event that you get a unicorn on your first try but want to keep trying for a better one? I don't think it adds much though.

EDIT: Wait, now I see it.  It's a sort of pseudo-Scry, so it's useful even in the event that you don't find the Unicorn you're looking for.  Still, it could probably be cleaned up a bit.

Oh, and if you're going to be looking at an arbitrary number of cards when you wish, I think Three would feel more flavorful. 'Cause three is a magic number.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Your version of this ability was already printed for many different creature types, I really believe that revealing an early unicorn card would create tension because one of the last cards might be a much prettier unicorn.. Also, that's why the previous version used the number seven, what other numbers would you suggest if we should encourage gambling? (Which the number three doesn't..)

Edit: Actually, pseudo-scry wasn't my intention, it's just another random bonus that's a product of not using the common wording!
Every unicorn is equally pretty.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Nobody commented on the better than alpha dual lands?
Oh hey they do enter tapped. Can't even see that hiding in the middle there.
Hiding in the middle is the best way to hide yourself, because nobody expects that..
THe lands should really tap for mana themselves. The way it is is just weird.

Edit- Sorry, missed the land subtypes. Guess that fixes that.

It's still weird that soulbond doesn't actually add an ability to these lands that they don't have by default. It almost seems like enough of a departure that it should be a new but very similar mechanic.
Maybe the lands could just tap for and need the soulbond to produce colored mana? You would have to throw in a few cost creatures to make that viable in the format though.
That was my problem, why should multi-colored decks that require mana-fixing play lands that don't produce colorless mana unless you managed to cast your first creature? I wanted to make and would like to make the version that you suggested, but I didn't come up with a solution for this problem..
If the first card is a unicorn card, why should I reveal it five more times? What about this: "Up to five times, reveal the card on top of your library and you may put this card on the bottom of it. If the last card revealed this way is a unicorn card, put it into your hand." By the way, I like your suggestion of wishing for a unicorn rather than a unicorn card, I'll change that immediately!

My version doesn't change the function of the ability. If you say up to five times, then you chooses the number before revealing.

My teacher told me that the magic numbers are 3, 4, 7, 12 and 13. Where 13 is magical unlucky. So I will suggest scrying 4 times instead of five. 
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Huh, does the wording force players to choose a number before revealing something? When I'm reading the wording, and I'm not really thinking of the number five because you're allowed to repeat it five times, I'm thinking of the number six because you reveal six cards..