Forging The Realms: A Dark and Stormy Knight

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Forging The Realms 
A Dark and Stormy Knight

By Ed Greenwood

In my Realms campaign, "Dark and Stormy Knight" is the appellation of a particular mysterious dark-armored figure seen from time to time on horseback on a hilltop in the distance, or atop a nearby battlement, or in the high window of a mansion behind walls with locked gates, watching.

Talk about this column here.

Ends Are Sometimes Better Left Loose

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I love the idea of including an unsolvable mystery as part of the fabric of a D&D campaign.

Gary Gygax apparently did something similar in the original Greyhawk megadungeon. There was a great stone face and nobody ever solved the mystery of it and Gary himself refused to divulge the truth before he died.

Hmmm, I wonder what I can use in Neverwinter...? 
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
DEAN KOONTZ SPOILER FOR LIGHTNING

The premise reminds me of the Dean R Koontz book Lightning. In the book, the main character is saved by a man in a trench coat a few times throughout her life....same man, same age. He is actually a time traveler who fell in love with her when she was wheelchair bound from birth and he travels back to her birthday and prevents the doctor (who was drunk and high) from delivering her, thus she is born healthy and non-handicap. A few times while growing up, she put herself into situations where she died. The man in the trenchcoat discovers this each time and travels back to the moment of her death to save her so they can fall in love when she grows up.

Other crazy stuff happens as well...and there are Nazis. I've ruined enough already.

Anyway, I loved that book (which I read in the desert of Saudi Arabia in early 1991) and if my memory is still keen, I see similarities in Ed Greenwood's short story. I love it!
This short story really speaks to me.

My humble opinion. This. This is what captivated my imagination and enthralled me to the fr train with so many fond memories.

Great kingdoms and colossal dungeons, they are very important in dnd game but I already had those in greyhawk. Realms gave me something else though. Storytelling about places, history and more importantly personalities mysterious or not.

How they think? What they do? What are their dreams and goals? Do they achieve them or they fail spectacularly?
Beggars and kings, elminsters and nobodies, they are all important in the realms tapestry. They live and breathe and move and change the realms in their own way everyday. They dont wait in a dungeon room, or throne room trying to hear the adventurers opening the door.

I loved the npc lists we had. Ready to play, with a small picture, goals and motivations, regions they could be found and some had vague statistics like fighter 8 or wizard 15 etc. You know "adventurers" ready to aid or confront your characters just around the corner.

So many details, so many different and interesting characters dwell in the realms. Details are stunning, but the most important thing to keep in mind is delve into fr at your own peril. As time, money and love for this shared setting permits. You are not less or more fr fan if you just read the campaign setting than being a know it all candlekeep scholar. You are not doing it wrong. Its there and its great, use it as much as you like.

Less is more is not my cup of tea. When I dont have heroes and villains, elminsters and manshoons, azouns and szaz tams, harpers and zhentarim then that is not the realms for me. A map showing cormyr and sembia doesnt speak realms to me. Take the characters, organisations, histories and achievements and throw it to the greyhawk map. I would easily recognise greyhawk as realms and go witth it. Mountains and valleys with some familiar names wont quite cut it for me.