Chase Commons and uncommons

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
So ive been asked by my local game store to sort the boxes of commons and uncommons that they sell to the public... now there are probably around a quarter of a million cards needing to be sorted and im thinking to myself there are probably some really nice cards that are going to be hidden inside these boxes that noone has found yet or that just recently jumped up in price.

What are some cards that i should be looking out for that are worth a few bucks and might be able to snag and make some money off of?

I could always just go look it up online somewhere but i figure that would take way too much time considering all the magic set in existence and the fact that my LGS has cards dating back to revised and unlimited(all the alpha and beta stuff has been picked out apparently).

For example i found a playset of [c]Inquisition of Kozilek[c/] and they are worth about 4 bucks each  
So ive been asked by my local game store to sort the boxes of commons and uncommons that they sell to the public... now there are probably around a quarter of a million cards needing to be sorted and im thinking to myself there are probably some really nice cards that are going to be hidden inside these boxes that noone has found yet or that just recently jumped up in price.

What are some cards that i should be looking out for that are worth a few bucks and might be able to snag and make some money off of?

I could always just go look it up online somewhere but i figure that would take way too much time considering all the magic set in existence and the fact that my LGS has cards dating back to revised and unlimited(all the alpha and beta stuff has been picked out apparently).

For example i found a playset of [c]Inquisition of Kozilek[c/] and they are worth about 4 bucks each  

Gatherer -> Advanced -> Standard, Include Commons, Uncommons, and Standard -> Community Rating -> Last page
just few that comes to mind (all modern format)

Uncommon
Spell Snare
Path to Exile
Spectral Procession
Hedron Crab (I think)
Bloodbraid Elf
Mind Funeral
Cursecatcher

Common (not chase but I'm sure you'll find buyers)
Terminate
Manamorphose
Lightning Bolt
Ponder
Preordain

You should probably check it yourself on a seller's website like cardkingdom or star city games.

Also, don't neglect non-standard format, like the above poster is doing.
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
I would suggest not bothering with standard commons and uncommons if you're looking for 'chase' uncommons. Standard commons rarely get above 25¢ (even the much vaunted Delver can be had for 50¢ or less in quite a few places) and uncommons will only rarely get as high as $2. The store can likely handle those itself, especially since pretty much any common or uncommon in standard that isn't obvious limited chaff will have at least some buyers.

Far more important are sifting through all the nonstandard cards that are now effectively valueless. The only players (in my experience) who need to buy individual commons and uncommons are new players and they're most likely building decks based on cool cards they saw or remember seeing, which means stuff from the past two years.

Of course, there's a handful that are still worth having. Flametongue Kavu and Fact or Fiction are examples of solid uncommons that you'll likely find somebody who is willing to buy them. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
I started checking sites like that but I couldn't figure out how to search every set since the cards I'm sorting through are unlimited through m13 and even new ravnica stuff I figured asking for people to throw out cards would be a better solution
That is a large range.  There are a lot of cards that could be worth money.  The two biggest are wasteland and force of will.  Though hopefully for your game store they have already seperated those two out.
It kind of depends on the goal. There are only a very small number that are worth $1+, but if they have plenty of display room or want to keep a 10¢ (or whatever) box there are a large number of cards that new players would probably go for. Cards such as Orcish Lumberjack and Wee Dragonauts have very little monetary value, but the store could very well benefit from having those sorts of cards on hand for adventurous new players looking to build odd casual decks.

As for a list: There are enough cards worth $1+ that going through a massive chunk of cards searching for every one on the list will take you approximately forever. 
Immature College Student (Also a Rules Advisor)
Just did a search on a channel fireball, filtering by u and c, price between 2 and 10000, non-foil finish, english text, and sort by cost decending.  About 19 pages of things.  I am curious the way you are wording this.  Are you sorting them and pulling them out so the store can price them accordingly, or is your plan to get paid by the store to sort them and then grab the ones that are priced too low and buy them for yourself so you can get paid twice?

What? Nobody's mentioned Sinkhole?

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
aether vial, and the tri lands from shards of alara jungle shrine haven't been mentioned yet.

For me personally here are the cards that I could always use more of (versitile, constructed worthy or close and can go into many decklists)

terramorphic expanse and evolving wilds are cards that I use in virtually every casual deck I make. I think these will be good to have on hand.

sylvan ranger, wood elves, sakura-tribe elder, borderland ranger, llanowar elves (and other 1 CMC accelerants) and elvish visionary - these have an enter the battlefield ability or other which help to smooth out your draws early in the game. Most help with mana fixing or accelerating. Most are borderline constructed playable and a couple are playable given the right format/decklist.

rancor, overrun, watchwolf, woolly thoctar, sprouting thrinax, bloodbraid elf, loam lion, kird ape, wild nacatl, spectral procession, leatherback baloth - there are others like this whose power/toughness far outclasses others of the same CMC, some of these are more narrow but they are irreplacable in the decklists that desire them.

It would be tough to give a comprehensive list but be on the lookout for versatility such as keening apparition or harmonic sliver. Being able to put your naturalize on a creature makes for great synergy with thalia, guardian of thraben or restoration angel or reanimation or whatever. Some of these types of cards are even worthy of legacy decklists like qasali pridemage.

I'm probably going a bit overboard and including too many cards on your watch list but I've been the customer digging through singles before and these are the types of cards that I'm generally looking for. The key is they have to be constructed playable even if it's only for casual games. No one wants shock, elvish warrior or havenwood wurm for their collections.
Don't be too smart to have fun
Well I'm trying to make a little money on the side haha thanks to everyone who posted cards I should look for I appriciate it... and also at the very least I should take them out for the store so its good 2 know regardless but we have a chase box for things people are looking for like that because there is like a quarter of a million cards in the store
Elvish Warrior wasn't mentioned because its twin is somewhat better. Granted, you'll need an anthem or some such to make trample matter, but still...
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I did end up finding a spell snare and an ather vial! (:

I still have 6 more drawers full of cards to go which is about 50000 so well see how my finding goes
Most uncommons from the Mirrodin block. Aether Vial, Skullclamp, Isochron Scepter especially.
57170298 wrote:
Borrowing the East Wind (P3) - Haha, it's like Hurricane but for horsemanship? That makes hilariously little sense. "Oh man, the wind is so much worse up on this horse."
57044478 wrote:
Jon Finkel can win a Magic tournament with a ham sandwich. That doesn't mean ham sandwiches are now the metagame breaker.
97820278 wrote:
Koth: I'm the first viable red planeswalker. Who are you? Tibalt: I'm a two-mana red planeswalker. Koth: I'm the last viable red planeswalker.
Sign In to post comments