KOR - theScion's Kingdoms of Rabiah - ICD 2: Scion's FAVORITE CARD EVER: Library of the Apocalypse

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kingdoms of Rabiah (KOR)
One ambitious planeswalker's desire to rule over the thousand Rabian nights goes head-to-head with an aging planeswalker's last chance at redemption, all under the shadow of a looming apocalypse. Can Vima Szet wrest control of the Rabian worlds before Uru Bhey shepherds the plane to its inevitable apocalypse, or will Gundeh lead the people of Rabiah towards revolution?

ICD 2: Library of the Apocalypse

We all have a favorite thing to do in Magic. Every player, from casual to competitive, gets a big rush when doing this one thing in Magic. "Winning" you might say, "people like winning, Scion". That's true, but how to get from your opening seven to victory involves a thousand decisions, from what to put into your deck, to what lines of play to take, to the sweet one-liner you're about to spout out when you drop a Grafdigger's Cage on an unsuspecting Frites player. Each of those decisions is colored by this one thing in Magic you love to do.

For me, it's drawing cards. More than even my Gatherer-Terrible cube or finding novel uses for my Homarid Spawning Beds, it is drawing cards. I love drawing cards more than winning. Goodness, I don't even have to draw good cards. I just like drawing cards. In fact, the more cards I draw, the more I can bury you under a litany of Alchemist's Apprentices, Ember Shots and Carrier Pigeons.

I love to draw cards. And in Rabiah, the mother of all card draw permanents is found: the ONE card that I love above all others: Library of Alexandria.

If you haven't gotten to play one, proxy one up, or at least sling with Magus of the Library, you don't know how SWEET it is to be on the draw, drop a library, say "go", and tap to draw on your opponent's upkeep. It's like you're running the cheats on him!

So when I bit the bactrian and decided to go back to Rabiah, I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I would revisit the fabled Library. And here, for you, I will share this gem of a card. I was going to save this post for when I do a 'flavor' entry, or perhaps a potpourri retrospective on the Time Spiral-esque shout outs to cards of yore...but I just couldn't wait! I'm literally steaming in my clouds to share this with you!

Ladies and gents, I present to you what is probably my greatest single ICD I've ever created. This is my favorite fantasy card; bar none. I jam it into every one of my set designs, but in NO OTHER SET does it fit as well as it does here, in Kingdoms of Rabiah.

Without further ado, the Library of the Apocalypse:

[spoiler Squeeee!]
IMAGE(https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2176590/KOR/Library%20of%20the%20Apocalypse.jpg)
[/spoiler] 

Comments appreciated!

About KOR

This is the first custom set I post here but far from the first I've made. All the art comes from some obscenely talented people on DeviantArt, many of whose names I do not recall because I use the illustration field to make notes like a goof. 

As more cards are revealed, I'll update the Card Image Gallery & Post Index.

I'd love your feedback, especially for these two topics:

1. Design: How excited are you about the card? What does it make you feel?

2. Development: How's the power level? Where do you see the limited environment for the set going? What holes are missing?

While the set is more or less done with its first pass, I'll be taking feedback into account, and even opening up holes where you guys can jump in and make some sweet cards.

My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
I know right? Too awesome for words.
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
its ok
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
I admit, drawing cards is fun.

The One With Nothing reference is a bit cheesy.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

It's basically the opposite of Library Of Alexandria + Magus Of The Library, but maybe we should compare it with Bazaar Of Baghdad instead?
Yeah, flavour T could be improved upon methinks. People don't usually associate schools with spiritual transcendence. That's more of like a temple/monastery-type deal.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I like it. Slightly ridiculous in dredge, but ok.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

I admit, drawing cards is fun.

The One With Nothing reference is a bit cheesy.

One person's eyeroll is another person's rapture.
Yeah, flavour T could be improved upon methinks. People don't usually associate schools with spiritual transcendence. That's more of like a temple/monastery-type deal.

That's the point. Uru Bhey the demon and his religious zealots, the Shanes, took over the library and turned it into a place of brainwashing.

The flavor is actually purrfect.
I like it. Slightly ridiculous in dredge, but ok.

Yea, you're probably right on that one. I have actually not gotten a chance to play this card. I'm hoping my random sealed printouts eventually yield a library. i'll jam it into any deck; I don't care.
Now that you guys know the flavor. Reread that quote, look at the image, and imagine.

*shudders* 
I work at a "place of brainwashing" - it's kinda cool.

Also, I still don't see the flavour, but I'll trust you, because you're usually very skilled at such things.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
I work at a "place of brainwashing" - it's kinda cool.

Also, I still don't see the flavour, but I'll trust you, because you're usually very skilled at such things.

The flavor is that you 'learn' by being unmade. Think the Cosmic Cube in the Avengers and what it did to Hawkeye. [/overgeek]
Cute. Slightly OP in dredge and madness (and possibly with Argothian Elder), but it'll do. Plus, it creates tension.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Suitably mythic. I do worry about the dredge interaction though. Maye exiling could fix that, I don't know. Man Drudge closes up so many acvenues of design. Worst mechanic ever.
I...kinda don't like it.
It's actually not too difficult to solve the dredge interaction with this card. I'd add mana activation cost to it. it slows them down one whole turn which is significant but otherwise not too devastating a nerf.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
I...kinda don't like it.

Cry but...but it's my favorite...
It's a nice Johnny card. You usually see those just at rare. Sometimes uncommon. But mostly rare.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt