how many legendaries in a deck?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
how many copies of a legendary creature should I run in a deck. I don't want to get flooded but want a good chance to draw it? currently I'm running two of but thinking of uping to three. this is assuming a 60 card deck.
Depends on the creature - how early you want it, how easily it dies, how important it is to your strategy.
isamaru, hound of konda - you probably want 3 or 4, depending on what other 1 drops you have

kozilek, butcher of truth - its pretty hefty in cost, you probably only want 1

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

3 is a good number of Thalia
2-3 is a good number for Sigarda
1-2 is good for Niv Mizzet
1-4 is a number for Grizelbrand, depending on what deck you are running (reanimator decks will want 3-4, control decks 1-2) 
2 or so Olivia is good
Talrand, Trostani, and Yeva you want 2 or 3

But it all boils down to your exact deck. Control decks want diversified threats, reanimator decks want cards that will be able to bring them back from the major behind they are at, and so on.

I know there's a formula for the chances of seeing a card based on the number of said card you run, but for a rule of thumb:
4 copies - you want this card in your opening hand, and want to see multiples every game
3 copies - you want to see this card in most games, but don't want it in your opening hand
2 copies - you want to sometimes see this card, or not see it until late in the game
1 copy    - you want to rarely see this card, or your deck is very finely tuned 

(at)MrEnglish22

1-4 is a number for Grizelbrand, depending on what deck you are running (reanimator decks will want 3-4, control decks 1-2) 
2 or so Olivia is good

But it all boils down to your exact deck. Control decks want diversified threats, reanimator decks want cards that will be able to bring them back from the major behind they are at, and so on.

I know there's a formula for the chances of seeing a card based on the number of said card you run, but for a rule of thumb:
4 copies - you want this card in your opening hand, and want to see multiples every game
3 copies - you want to see this card in most games, but don't want it in your opening hand
2 copies - you want to sometimes see this card, or not see it until late in the game

Another theory I've come across about 3-ofs is that they can be things that would be 4-ofs, but are bad (redundant) in multiples.
2 or so Olivia is good

Another theory I've come across about 3-ofs is that they can be things that would be 4-ofs, but are bad (redundant) in multiples.

Also a good way to look at it. There's a million different ways to look at stuff like this without going into the actual math, but I was trying to be short as possible to avoid confusion.

(at)MrEnglish22