2 Selesnya Charm
1 Supreme Verdict

SB: 3 Negate
SB: 3 Rest in Peace
SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
SB: 3 Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 3 Essence Scatter
SB: 2 Centaur Healer

This deck is the strongest deck we've come across in this meta. It deals easily with all the currently popular decks, including any variants of zombies, GW goodstuff, and bad delver decks. 

Thed deck is basically Jace + Thragtusk + Angel + Revelation. Everything else either buys time, makes mana, or cantrips. You play some of the most powerful spells in the format that's pretty much impossible to get around.

The power of new Jace can't be exaggrated. I haven't seen a planeswalker dominate a board all by himself so completely and utterly. He's very hard to kill and it digs so deep into business.

Enjoy. 

The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
8 feels like too many sweepers. Would cut a couple for some Tamiyo.

Otherwise, this is pretty much what I expected the metagame would devolve onto.
8 feels like too many sweepers. Would cut a couple for some Tamiyo. Otherwise, this is pretty much what I expected the metagame would devolve onto.

And you didn't care to share your ideas with me because?

I could cut one of each and add at least a Tamiyo, and something else. Probably another land, in all honesty.  
The mage formerly known as kedi. Team GFG - Goons From Ghana - Playing sweet decks since 2010 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: I'm actually playing B/r zombies 1:31 AM Battle7: nice 1:31 AM Nighthavk_: yeah it's pretty sweet really 1:31 AM Battle7: playing esper tokens 1:32 AM Nighthavk_: I like that deck 1:32 AM Battle7: it's sweet
Felt or feared is probably a better word than thought - my expectations were that Control would only be competitive by jamming the biggest spells in multiple colours together around Thragtusks, with no finesse, just brute strength, like every other midrange deck making up the format. Too depressing to make an actual list.
Agreed. I reached a quick conclusion today that if you're not mouth breathing on people you need to be running 6+ sweepers and some planeswalkers. Around thragtusk. Going to go make it with black cards in a few minutes now.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Felt or feared is probably a better word than thought - my expectations were that Control would only be competitive by jamming the biggest spells in multiple colours together around Thragtusks, with no finesse, just brute strength, like every other midrange deck making up the format. Too depressing to make an actual list.

Finesse will come later on, with negates, syncopates, armada wurms (lol), ghost quarter/caverns mini games, etc.

But as I was testing this deck against GW Goodstuff, the board wa like 2 Angels on my side, a Thragtusk paired with Wolfir on the other, and I was just casting a revalations for 6. The power creep and the numbers are pretty frightening. 
wurm, bro

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

wurm, bro

You don't even need it. I've tested it and it's not really game breaking. 
wurm, bro

you don't want to run a miser elixir of immortality like reid duke?  win by not losing?

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

Photobucket

wurm, bro

you don't want to run a miser elixir of immortality like reid duke?  win by not losing?

eh, it's a do nothing card. I don't like do nothing cards. I've got enough balls to win with 8 creatures and pws.

Still testing, still the best deck I've played in this format. Cut a supreme verdict for a tamiyo and she's a dirty little bitch. 
lol, then run elixir in the board

d00d, you never lose the game!  

Photobucket

This deck is more and more shaping up to be format breaking in testing.

Also, we've put entreat the angels in here, and are calling it farseek control....

Any game that you cast sphinx's revelation at EOT on their turn, you win. Point blank.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
This deck is more and more shaping up to be format breaking in testing.

Also, we've put entreat the angels in here, and are calling it farseek control....

Any game that you cast sphinx's revelation at EOT on their turn, you win. Point blank.

Selesnya Charm is pretty real, both as an izzet charm like removal and  is a nice removal for opposing angels. Anything in between is dud but that's what the rest of your deck is for.

This is the new list:

4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Plains
4 Island

4 Terminus
2 Detention Sphere
4 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Thragtusk
4 Farseek
3 Angel of Serenity
3 Azorius Charm
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
2 Think Twice
1 Oblivion Ring
2 Selesnya Charm
1 Supreme Verdict

SB: 1 Supreme Verdict
SB: 2 Centaur Healer

It is totally depressing to go 10-0 in games with this deck.

I'm glad I ordered my playset of Chinese Jace for cheap. 
It is totally depressing to go 10-0 in games with this deck.

I'm glad I ordered my playset of Chinese Jace for cheap. 

I haven't found anything that beats this deck other than Runechanter's Pike.dec giving it headaches (who plays that?) and the mirror. Most tweaks I make are made with mirror and jund control in mind. 

4 Thragtusk
2 Angel of Serenity
1 Snapcaster Mage

4 Terminus

2 Detention Sphere
1 Oblivion Ring

2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
3 Sphinx's Revelation

4 Azorius Charm
4 Farseek
2 Selesnya Charm
1 Cyclonic Rift

4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Plains
4 Island

SB: 2 Supreme Verdict
SB: 1 Armada Wurm

Less brute, more options, some versatility. 
Started playing a version of this on mtgo, which is not due to rotate for some time yet. Obviously, there are some bits that can't be filled (no parallell to AoS, jace had to be replaced with gidion, charms with ponder, auga of bolas and vapor snag), but its been playing out ok. Only times I've been haveing problems is when I accidently auga away the win conditions, but that solves itself when rotation comes around. Landing a thragtusk generaly results in a win, especialy if I can get a BSZ off shortly afterwards.

4 Terminus
2 Detention Sphere
2 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Thragtusk
2 Angel of Serenity
4 Azorius Charm
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hinterland Harbor
2 Plains
3 Island
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
1 Oblivion Ring
1 Selesnya Charm
4 Farseek
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Azorius Keyrune

SB: 4 Negate
SB: 2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 2 Selesnya Charm
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 1 Cavern of Souls
SB: 2 Think Twice

im running a deck similar to this that seems to be quite devistating. My version is more of a blink type deck with lots of board control and temporal mastery to help get in with damage or get card advantage. I don't have the new angel but i have an armada wurm and restoration angels with some cloudshift.

to date the deck that has given me the most problems has been a blue white hexproof deck more because i didnt have as much board control as i wanted and detain targets. its another reason i am getting cyclonic rift for the late game push as it can function as a blue bonfire of the damned that bounces all nonland permenants as a replacement for temporal mastery. ill post the deck list when i have more time. azorius charm and tamiyos ultimate is just cruel.    
Looks boring to play with, boring to play against and incredibly expensive. So this is probably a really strong deck.

But what would you do against a Jund Zombie aggro that sides in some combination of Appetite for brains, Duress, Rakdos's Return and Zealous Conscripts alongside the 3 main Dreadbore?
I want to be Cultured.
Looks boring to play with, boring to play against and incredibly expensive. So this is probably a really strong deck.

But what would you do against a Jund Zombie aggro that sides in some combination of Appetite for brains, Duress, Rakdos's Return and Zealous Conscripts alongside the 3 main Dreadbore?

Conscripts aren't doing anything. 

Dreadbore is a 1v1 at best and usually not even that. You can easily get value out of all your creatures and pws the moment they hit the board. After the initial rush is stopped, anything bant topdecks is business.

Rakdos' Return is an ok card, but you need to hit 4-5 mana with it to gain value with it, and that's not easy for an aggro deck with 22-23 lands; and it gets stopped by negates. 

Discard effects of brains/duress are bad against control from aggro. 

4x Temple garden
4xHallowed Fountain
4xGlacial Fortress
4xSunpetal Grove
3x hinterland harbour
1 plain 1 forest 1 island
1x rogue's pass (delicious card!)

4x Geist of Saint Traft
1x Sigarda Host of Herons
1x Armada Wurm
1x Azorious Guildmage
1x Selesynia Guildmage
2x Loxodon Smitter
2 x Thragtusk
1x Snapcaster Mage
1x Restoration Angel

4x Farseek
4x Supreme Verdict
2x Azorious Charm
2x Selesynia Charm
3x Cyclonic Rift
1x Sphinx' Revelation
2x Detention Sphere
1x Terminus
1x Entreat the Angels

1x Garruk Relentless
1x Jace Architect
1x Tamiyo Moon Sage

Sideboard (currently)
2x Syncopate
2x Nevermore
1x Dispel
1x Sigarda Host of Herons
1x Entreat the Angels
1x Azorious Charm
1x Selesynia Charm
2x Sundering Growth
1x Witchbane orb
1x Angel of Serenity
1x Terminus

My current version of this deck, ran 10-0 with it as well... so as far as I'm concerned as long as you have some sort of mix of this deck your pretty well unstoppable right now in the format as it will just take over the game. 

Bump.
Bump for best deck in the format.

3 of us (me and 2 friends who are in a card pool) are playing versions of this, and we are wrecking the local area (2 different shops). Nothing has came close. Its sickening how boss this thing is. Have yet to lose a game when playing revelation (except when mirror matching and they respond with a bigger one). So, yeah. Hands down, best deck. Re-animator gives it a little bit of a fit pre-board, but after board this wrecks.

3 of us (me and 2 friends who are in a card pool) are playing versions of this, and we are wrecking the local area (2 different shops). Nothing has came close. Its sickening how boss this thing is. Have yet to lose a game when playing revelation (except when mirror matching and they respond with a bigger one). So, yeah. Hands down, best deck. Re-animator gives it a little bit of a fit pre-board, but after board this wrecks.

How do your numbers look like?

The main questions are counters or not. Having counters at all in the MD is kind of a value, especially in the mirror - but I can tap out for so many broken stuff that it's rare that I actually want to keep up mana instead of making big threats. I could maybe see 2 syncopates, so you have 10 2cmc cards for turn 2.

And how's your ramp? Farseek / any keyrunes? Keyrunes have been kind of bonkers for me; gives me turbo thrag/tamiyo, plays nicely with revelations that I just ramp ramp ramp in the slow matches and go big on revelations. I've been preferring UW because I don't think either creature is game breaking, but UW can potentially attack PWs, which could be relevant.

I love Angel of Serenity but I think I prefer 2 / 2 sigarda split.

Do you run full 4 revelations? 
One of the decks is running syncopate main with no keyrunes, one is only two negates in the side no keyrunes and 4 revelations and 3 angels. The third has syncopates and negates in the board with one sigarda and two revelation angels but is also running loxodon smiters main, one jace and two centaur healers. The third is gimped because of being short on cards but can midrange out. All three run four farseeks and one runs pilgrims.

you act like the decision whether to splash red for pillar or green for 'tusk around a core of 4 Terminus 4 Azorius Charm 4 Detention Sphere 4 Jace 4 Think Twice 3 Entreat 3 Tamiyo 2 Supreme Verdict 2 Snapcaster 2 Syncopate doesn't provide you with a fulfilling deckbuilding experience.
Been working on getting the cards for this deck on Mtgo.  Crazy expensive, funny how Thragtusk went up 3 tickets from Saturday.  Anyways.

Nighthavk, what's your most up to date list? The last one on page 2?

Also, thoughts on Feeling of Dread? Are the aggro decks in the format any problem at all?  I've noticed the sweepers have gone from 4 Terminus and 3-4 Verdict down to just 4 Terminus, and that kinda worries me with some of the aggro decks running around. But, as a Mtgo player I haven't really any meta experience so I'm not in a great position to say. 

Syncopates seem okay.  Like Nighthavk said, probably as a 2-of, if anything, since it seems you either want to tempo them with Azorious charm or farseek on turn 2 to get into the go-big game. Would be nice to have another 2 mana accelerant, just because Turn 3 Jace or turn 4 Thrag/Tamiyo seems bonkers.

Sigarda seems ridiculous in this format, way better than Giest.  There's what, three cards that deal with her? (Verdict, Blasphemous Act, and Terminus? I guess mutilate too, with enough swamps.) I've seen other lists running Armada wurm as their finisher, but I'll take Sig any day.  Sure, half the power but less cost, and way more difficult to deal with. 
"Expect to go permanently deaf." First Line Of The Tenth Thunder Artillery Handbook
Buddy of mine ran this two nights ago at our casual standard event. He ended up 3-1 with his only loss being to U/W Humans. he beat B/G Zombies, G/W/B Tokens, and someone holding on to Delver... His list had 4 Terminus and 1 Supreme Verdict MB.
 I've noticed the sweepers have gone from 4 Terminus and 3-4 Verdict down to just 4 Terminus, and that kinda worries me with some of the aggro decks running around. 

Sigarda seems ridiculous in this format, way better than Giest.  There's what, three cards that deal with her? (Verdict, Blasphemous Act, and Terminus? I guess mutilate too, with enough swamps.) I've seen other lists running Armada wurm as their finisher, but I'll take Sig any day.  Sure, half the power but less cost, and way more difficult to deal with. 

problem with verdict is that too much aggro doesn't care.  gravecrawler/messenger/aristocrat/lotleth/strangleroot.  blood artist kinda cheers. i favor 1-2 main 1-2 out of the board, but it's hard to use MD slots where other cards actually answer tier 1 aggro.

sigarda has 'attacks or blocks' disease.  geist has a niche where he comes in out of the board and wins games before certain control decks can hardcast any of the answers they have (terminus, mortars) and before they can bring out their own win cons in relevant fashion.  

Been working on getting the cards for this deck on Mtgo.  Crazy expensive, funny how Thragtusk went up 3 tickets from Saturday.  Anyways.

Nighthavk, what's your most up to date list? The last one on page 2?

4 Terminus
3 Detention Sphere
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Thragtusk
4 Azorius Charm
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Temple Garden
4 Sunpetal Grove
4 Glacial Fortress
4 Hinterland Harbor
3 Island
2 Tamiyo, the Moon Sage
4 Farseek
2 Sigarda, Host of Herons
1 Cavern of Souls
2 Forest
1 Entreat the Angels
2 Selesnya Keyrune
1 Angel of Serenity
SB: 4 Negate
SB: 1 Sigarda, Host of Herons
SB: 2 Selesnya Charm
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 1 Cavern of Souls
SB: 4 Centaur Healer
SB: 2 Supreme Verdict

Note that I'm not advocating anything over another. I'm just testing different cards, different numbers, different matchups to test the waters. 

I like 4 Negates in the side just too much, it's just very relevant in a lot of matchups.

Serenity is getting less and less good. You can't really go wrong playing it and it gets better in multiples but then your late game gets to be angel alone and sometimes she doesn't have any targets on board and you just want another finisher.

I don't really understand the hype around aggro. G1 I'm slightly favored against any zombie, and sb games isn't even remotely close. Red really has no business in being here. Not to mention, currently (outside of basic mountains - ew) there's only Steam Vents that come online t1. And if you're using it on t2, that's the same as a t2 azorius charm. I suppose between 4 pillars, 4 charm and some snapcasters, uwr has a second answer before turn 4 - but eh. It's pretty difficult to actually kill before Thragtusk hits the board, and Thragtusk buys time for more Thragtusk / pws and then you cast one revelations and the game is irreversible.

It takes careful maneuvering and tight play, but I rather have a deck that relies on that with good, impactful spells rather than **** like Pillar that's barely a card in so many matchups. And of course, post board, your centaurs come online and it's not even a game of magic anymore. 

I like Sigarda because she's a control card, that's either defensive or offensive when you call her to be. She's worse than Geist in the mirror and you can choose to run geist for control mirrors probably.

I enjoy the singleton entreat so farRevelations is close to being the best card in the deck (probably second only to Jace) and knowing how to cast it right will win a ton of games. 

I should go on to note, that the gimped deck in our card pool has started testing a red splash for huntsmasters main over centaur healer and mortars in the side. I'll get back to you after friday and let you know how it does, as well as the other two, and their lists.
One small change I've noted was the swap from Azorius Keyrune to Selesnya Keyrune. What prompted this? I'm assuming the 3 toughness being relevant vs the aggressive 2 power guys, since this deck doesn't need help closing the game (the way the 2/2 flyer helps) while it would appreciate a relevant body vs aggressive decks.

Also, I notice Selesnya Charm moved from the MD to the SB. I assumed its strength was in its utility, which is why it was MD rather than SB. What does it come in against? 

I think Draft is the best format in Magic.

I strive to be critical, rational and openminded.

One small change I've noted was the swap from Azorius Keyrune to Selesnya Keyrune. What prompted this? I'm assuming the 3 toughness being relevant vs the aggressive 2 power guys, since this deck doesn't need help closing the game (the way the 2/2 flyer helps) while it would appreciate a relevant body vs aggressive decks.

Also, I notice Selesnya Charm moved from the MD to the SB. I assumed its strength was in its utility, which is why it was MD rather than SB. What does it come in against? 

I think with the strength of PWs on their own anyway, a bird attacking a pw is going to come across less often. A turn 3 keyrune allows you to block a creature and still cast Azorius Charm even if you missed your land drop, which is pretty relevant. 

GW Charm is a fatty removal #5-6, which is relevant against decks you wouldn't want to bother having mass removal post sb games, or even against decks like GW goodstuff, when you have board under control, you want to stop casting mass removal and start taking their creatures one by one. 
I thought i had posted my Bant deck here but it seems i have not so here it is.

Everyone has far seek and i understand how it helps ramp this deck into color i just have not needed it as it buys more than enough time to get into different colors if needed.

Temporal Mastery is just beast with the planeswalkers and land usually giving me Tamiyo ult which just wins with this deck. Cyclonic Rift will be added into this deck when my set arrives and if i can find another thragtusk it will as well. I want at least two of the Angel of Serenity to help with my creatures. The deck had two Sigurada but they were usually used for nothing but block bait and didnt function well with all the flicker.

Martial Law usually is what lets me get in damage after a board wipe but is usually a dud on the turn its played unless you top deck Temporal. 

For the most part this deck is absolutely brutal as it can just gain an absurd amount of life or create a small army of 3/3s or 5/5s to end the game. 

As soon as Zombies looked to be the deck people were gonna play I went Bant and lucked out on pulling most of what i have now. SO glad i went this way as its just funny to play. 

I am not fond of Selesnya Charm in this deck thanks to Martial Law's detain and Azorius Charm being able to place a creature on top of a deck.
Have you considered trying to add Omniscience? If you can get it out it pairs really well with Tamiyo's ultimate.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
Have you considered trying to add Omniscience? If you can get it out it pairs really well with Tamiyo's ultimate.

Your troll game operates on a whole different level. +1 internets.

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Nighthavk, have you tested this against RDW? We happened upon a turn 4 kill today that we couldn't come back from against rdw (mono red), and a subsequent face smashing a few games after. Thoughts?
Nighthavk, have you tested this against RDW? We happened upon a turn 4 kill today that we couldn't come back from against rdw (mono red), and a subsequent face smashing a few games after. Thoughts?

;)
Slave of Tibalt. Currently trading for foils of my bro. PM me. Tarmogoyf on Twitter. Follow me. Team GFG Guns, Fame, Glory Those that require a sig for the ego simply haven't had enough kind words thrown his or her way. Currently looking for prerelease Plains! People who have mailed me rares:
Show
Malpheas: THANK YOU FOR THE FOIL TIBALT, YOU BEAUTIFUL GUY, YOU! Suudsu2200: Armageddon! Sèance, Dominating Licid, Words of War, Gaea's Anthem, Momentous Fall, Nyxathid PM me to make it happen. Your username will end up here, as the cards you sent me. I reserve the right to order your usernames by the cards I liked the best. Oh, and if you send me some Islands in the package, I'll sign them and mail them back.
Sign In to post comments