Trostani's life gain ability with Collective Blessing

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I had a arguement about this rule this week, and haven't been able to get a consistant ruling...

I have Trostani in play with Collective Blessing. I cast Call of the Conclave to put the 3/3 Centaur token in play.

Would I gain 3 life, because it enters as a 3/3, of would I gain 6 life since the Centaur becomes a 6/6 once the spell resolves?

I say 6, because Call of the Conclave has to resolve for Trostani's ability to trigger. Am I wrong? 
Please autocard.
[C]Trostani, Selesnya's Voice[/C] ⇒ [C]Trostani, Selesnya's Voice[/C]
[C]Collective Blessing[/C]
[C]Call of the Conclave[/C]
Collective Blessing
Trostani, Selesnya's Voice
Call of the Conclave

the centaur token is a 6/6 at any time it is on the battlefield
it doesn't enter as 3/3 and grow to 6/6, it enters as 6/6, so you get 6 life

and even if it would enter as 3/3 and grow to 6/6 as long as that growing is finished when Trostani's trigger resolves you get 6 life as well.
for example you could use Giant Growth to get an extra 3 life
proud member of the 2011 community team
6. There is never a time where the centaur is anything but a 6/6. It's 6/6 when the triggered ability triggers (which is irrelevant), and it's 6/6 when the triggered ability eventually resolves (giving you 6 life).
Collective Blessing
Call of the Conclave

If you cast the Centaur, wouldn't Trostani's ability resolve before you could cast the Giant Growth?

I am Blue/White
If you cast the Centaur, wouldn't Trostani's ability resolve before you could cast the Giant Growth?

No, trostani's ability can be responded to. If you cast giant growth in response, Giant growth resolves first, and trostani's ability resolves after.

Okay so let's say I had [C]Garruk's Packleader[/C] And I cast an [C]Elite Vanguard[/C] could I cast [C]Giant Growth[/C] then and be able to draw a card?
I am Blue/White
Collective Blessing
Call of the Conclave

it will trigger before you can cast Giant Growth
but you can respond to it like normal
Okay so let's say I had [C]Garruk's Packleader[/C] And I cast an [C]Elite Vanguard[/C] could I cast [C]Giant Growth[/C] then and be able to draw a card?

no, since Garruk's Packleader will not trigger unless the creature enters with power 3 or more

it had to be worded similar to this: "whenever a creature enters the battlefield draw a card if it has power 3 or more"
but it has to be worded carefully to not become an "intervening if clause" ;)
oh I see the difference. Thank you!
I am Blue/White
Sign In to post comments