U/R Flashback, Burn & Guttersnipe

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to build a deck built around direct damage that's increased by the usage of guttersnipe and flashbacks and I was wondering if I could be given some criticism and pointers. I'm editing the deck a lot right now trying to find a good balance of control and burn before I start making my sideboard. I made some changes right after playing a Rakdos deck so keep that in mind as well.

The control and cheap creatures allow me to buy enough time to get more mana to start hitting hard with combos like Devil's Play and Increasing Vengeance, plus the added benefit from Guttersnipe. I feel that Jace is a good pick to expedite my flashbacks and just getting more cards to my hand in general, mostly just using his +1 (also he costs less than Tamiyo :D).

Anyway I'd appreciate some advice on my deck. Thanks!

Creatures:
2x Snapcaster Mage
4x Delver of Secrets
2x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner

Instants:
2x Increasing Vengeance
4x Izzet Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars
2x Rewind

Sorceries:
4x Devil's Play 
3x Pillar of Flame

Artifacts:
2x Elixir of Immortality

Planeswalkers:
2x Jace, Memory Adept

Land:
4x Sulfur Falls
4x Steam Vents
4x Izzet Guildgate
6x Mountain
6x Island

Hi everyone!
I'm trying to build a deck built around direct damage that's increased by the usage of guttersnipe and flashbacks and I was wondering if I could be given some criticism and pointers. I'm editing the deck a lot right now trying to find a good balance of control and burn before I start making my sideboard. I made some changes right after playing a Rakdos deck so keep that in mind as well.

The control and cheap creatures allow me to buy enough time to get more mana to start hitting hard with combos like Devil's Play and Increasing Vengeance, plus the added benefit from Guttersnipe. I feel that Jace is a good pick to expedite my flashbacks and just getting more cards to my hand in general, mostly just using his +1 (also he costs less than Tamiyo :D).

Anyway I'd appreciate some advice on my deck. Thanks!

Creatures:
2x Snapcaster Mage
4x Delver of Secrets
2x Goblin Electromancer
4x Guttersnipe
2x Talrand, Sky Summoner

Instants:
2x Increasing Vengeance
4x Izzet Charm
3x Mizzium Mortars
2x Rewind

Sorceries:
4x Devil's Play 
3x Pillar of Flame

Artifacts:
2x Elixir of Immortality

Planeswalkers:
2x Jace, Memory Adept

Land:
4x Sulfur Falls
4x Steam Vents
4x Izzet Guildgate
6x Mountain
6x Island

Linked all the cards... its harder to evaluate a deck if you don't know what they all are

I would stray away from the izzet guildgate sure its a duel land but it always comes in tapped which is anouying, I would just replace them with islands or mountains. I would take out the elixir of immortalitys, unless your fighting a mill deck that 5 life isn't going to mean all that much, perhaps a sideboard option; this type of deck should rely on creatures like talrand, sky summoner and abusing his powers, I would get rid of the Goblin Electromancer, while there nice when your casting big spells, a deck like this will more likely rely on cheap spells like unsummon, izzet charm and pillar of flame, using talrand, sky summoner and guttersnipe's abilities to their full potiential. I would look at some of the delver varients that came out when M13 came out, they tried to abuse talrand's ability with a bunch of cheap spells, it could be a good basis to start or improve a deck like this.

Linked all the cards... its harder to evaluate a deck if you don't know what they all are

I would stray away from the izzet guildgate sure its a duel land but it always comes in tapped which is anouying, I would just replace them with islands or mountains. I would take out the elixir of immortalitys, unless your fighting a mill deck that 5 life isn't going to mean all that much, perhaps a sideboard option; this type of deck should rely on creatures like talrand, sky summoner and abusing his powers, I would get rid of the Goblin Electromancer, while there nice when your casting big spells, a deck like this will more likely rely on cheap spells like unsummon, izzet charm and pillar of flame, using talrand, sky summoner and guttersnipe's abilities to their full potiential. I would look at some of the delver varients that came out when M13 came out, they tried to abuse talrand's ability with a bunch of cheap spells, it could be a good basis to start or improve a deck like this.

Thanks for responding and linking, you've given me a lot to work with. 

These are my changes thus far:

4x snapcaster mage
4x delver of secrets
4x guttersnipe
3x Talrand, Sky Summoner

2x increasing vengeance
4x izzet charm
3x pillar of flame
3x Mizzium Mortar
3x devil's play
2x rewind

2x Jace, Memory Adept

4x sulfur falls
4x steam vents
8x mountain
8x island

I added in another two snapcaster mages, another Talrand, Sky Summoner. And I took out a devil's play, the Izzet Guildgates, and the Goblin Electromancers.

I like the idea of basing the deck off of those delver/talrand M13 variants. Only problem is that they use M12 stuff like Gitaxian Probe and Bonfire of the Damned, which is just prohibitively expensive. Otherwise I think it's a great idea.

My deck right now is missing 2 cards. I was thinking of putting in either UnsummonPeel from Reality(for use with snapcaster mage), or fleeting distraction, and probably taking out a direct damage spell entirely to make room for 4 of it. Most likely devil's play.

Finally, the more I use Increasing Vengeance, the more I like it. It's really cheap and using it activates Guttersnipe a total of three or four times. I think it may be worth bumping up to 3 or 4.

Thoughts?

Sadly, copy effects like Increasing Vengeance don't trigger "when you cast" abilities like on Guttersnipe. They are put onto the stack, not cast. Effects will specifically state when a copy of a spell is cast, like on isochron scepter.
Sadly, copy effects like Increasing Vengeance don't trigger "when you cast" abilities like on Guttersnipe. They are put onto the stack, not cast. Effects will specifically state when a copy of a spell is cast, like on isochron scepter.

Ah man. I didn't realize that. I guess I'll keep Increasing Vengeance at 2 then. Thanks.