PV's article - Beginner Tips

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
www.channelfireball.com/articles/pvs-pla...

You should really check out this article. PV makes some great points that can be applied to DOTP especially the part on 'punisher cards'.
Hey, I was just reading that! PV writes some good articles, and this was a really good one. I suggest checking it out as well.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Godless atheism told me pros play their cards on their second main phase a while back and that was great advice! Likewise, playing instants and sorceries on an enemies end step is usually better.
Hmm...Not sure Browbeat is the best example to use as a do-not-use Punisher card. Breaking Point sure, because most of the time you're going to want only A or only B and your opponent will generally benefit more from one than the other. Browbeat is pretty much win/win unless you're top-decking and your opponent has life to spare.
Godless atheism told me pros play their cards on their second main phase a while back and that was great advice! Likewise, playing instants and sorceries on an enemies end step is usually better.

Sorceries at end step are pro indeed.
I think the first point was the most insightful.  It doesn't pay to be too scared of combat tricks.  Just draw the combat trick out and you'll have one less card to worry about going forward
It's good of him to write a beginner article like that and I can see it being helpful to new players. I don't really agree with his view on 'punisher' cards though, he wrote them off as bad cards but I think they're decent cards. I realise he's a pro-tour player but that doesn't make his opinion gospel
I think the life total is more important than some people give it credit for. This is getting into the concept of the clock as well. Taking 2-3 damage early when you still have 20 life, no big deal. But say my opponent has 4 1/1 tokens, and I have 10 life left and the option of attacking with my 1 or 2 creatures. Given the current state, I would probably hold my creatures back to block, because if I didn't, I'd go down to 6 on my opponent's next turn, and then you have to factor in what else your opponent could play next. When I get down to 10-12 life, I start to play a little differently, because when you get down to 1-4 life, suddenly you're in a situation where you MUST block everything your opponent has. What you have to ask yourself is "how quickly can my opponent kill me at this rate?" and you have to try and factor in what they might play in main phase 2 that could cause you more problems and seal the game.

Cards that serve no other purpose than to gain life are really bad in general, but using creatures with lifelink, etc, can help you to pad your life total so you don't get into that situation with 10-12 life, when you have to worry about your opponent being able to kill you over the course of 2 or 3 attacks.     

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Sorceries at end step are pro indeed.

LOL I just caught that.....instants....on an enemies end step....sorceries on your own unless they benefit you in some way before hand...
I think the life total is more important than some people give it credit for. This is getting into the concept of the clock as well. Taking 2-3 damage early when you still have 20 life, no big deal. But say my opponent has 4 1/1 tokens, and I have 10 life left and the option of attacking with my 1 or 2 creatures. Given the current state, I would probably hold my creatures back to block, because if I didn't, I'd go down to 6 on my opponent's next turn, and then you have to factor in what else your opponent could play next. When I get down to 10-12 life, I start to play a little differently, because when you get down to 1-4 life, suddenly you're in a situation where you MUST block everything your opponent has. What you have to ask yourself is "how quickly can my opponent kill me at this rate?" and you have to try and factor in what they might play in main phase 2 that could cause you more problems and seal the game.

Cards that serve no other purpose than to gain life are really bad in general, but using creatures with lifelink, etc, can help you to pad your life total so you don't get into that situation with 10-12 life, when you have to worry about your opponent being able to kill you over the course of 2 or 3 attacks.     

I build some 1v1 decks knowing most of the time I will lose ca. 10 life to start the game. Doesn't bother me. My OD build can work like that. Its a bit slow and I am prepared to take some early hits....
Right, you can take some early hits, but there's a point where, depending on the board state and your life total, that you will start to play differently, and you'll play more defensive to your life total, and for me that's usually not at 1-4 life, it's more around the 10 life mark. Life gain, good life gain cards, will start to matter, bringing your life total back up to a comfortable amount.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Unless you're at 0, you pretty much are at infinte life and can play with it.

I will consistently Sign in Blood for 2 cards while I'm at 2, it's always bad beats though. I can never get that out