Flashback spells

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello, when a card has flashback such as Roar of the Wurm Can the flashback cost be payed as an instant? Or must the card say it is an instant?
Flashback just changes where you can cast it from, not when
if it is a sorcery with Flashback it will follow sorcery timing
proud member of the 2011 community team
Flashback is not an activated ability (those you can activate anytime you have priority), it's a static ability, and all it does is allowing you to cast the card from a zone you normally couldn't, for an alternate cost. It doesn't affect the timing restrictions pertaining to the card's type. You can normally only flashback Roar of the Wurm during your main phase when the stack is empty.
Magic The Gathering DCI Lvl 1 Judge Don't hesitate to post rules question in the Rules Q&A forum for me and other competent advisors to answer : http://community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/75842/134778/Rules_Q38A
Compare

You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost.

with

[cost]: Cast this card from your graveyard for free.

The former allows you to cast the card from the graveyard. The latter allows you to cast the card from your graveyard even when you couldn't cast a sorcery.

Flashback is the former.
702.32a Flashback appears on some instants and sorceries. It represents two static abilities: one that functions while the card is in a player’s graveyard and another that functions while the card is on the stack. “Flashback [cost]” means “You may cast this card from your graveyard by paying [cost] rather than paying its mana cost” and “If the flashback cost was paid, exile this card instead of putting it anywhere else any time it would leave the stack.” Casting a spell using its flashback ability follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e–g.

(The later wording has a number of problems: It doesn't allow X to be set, it bypasses additional costs, and it effectively turns sorceries into instants.)

The latter allows you to cast the card from your graveyard any time you could activate the ability.

no, it allows you to cast the card from your graveyard during the resolution of the ability.
You still couldn't cast it when you could activate the ability.
Inversely, you couldn't activate the ability when you could cast the card.

(I suppose in a less technical, more general sense what you are saying is loosely accurate)

edit: proper templating dictates you replace for free with without paying its mana cost
also there should be an if able if you're not including a may
ideally, it should be
 You cast

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

fixed.
Sign In to post comments