Deck types help

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I'm just starting out and I continuously hear these terms at FNM and elsewhere.  Can someone plese help me understand what they are?  They all refer to deck types for play.

Type 1
Type 1.5
Type 2
Extended

Sorry, I'm a noob.  LOL  But thanks for the help in advance.
Type1 and Type2 are old terms for Vintage and Standard respectively
Type 1.5 is an old term for Legacy, which is Vintage with some cards banned

Extended is basically "double standard", where twice as many recent sets are legal
it's also not very popular
proud member of the 2011 community team
I see.  So which "type" encompases the new, or current set?  I guess what I'm asking is what card editions belong to which particular "type"?  I guess that better asks what i'm really not understanding.
Vintage: almost all cards ever released
the only cards banned are Uncards (from the 2 parody sets), ante-cards (that cause you to permanently lose cards to your opponent), dextery-cards (cards that require complicated physical actions) and Sharazaad
too powerful (one might say "broken") cards are not banned, but merely restricted to 1 card per deck

Legacy: also has almost all cards ever released
the same cards that are banned in Vintage are banned here as well, plus some more (mostly the Vintage-restricted ones)

Standard: the last 2 blocks plus their coresets
currently that is Innistrad Block with M13 and Return to Ravnica Block (doesn't have a coreset yet)
this is the format offered at FNM (others can be offered as well, depending on the shop)

Extended: the last 4 blocks plus their coresets
not really popular, especially not since Modern is a thing

Modern: all cards since 8th Edition
extensive banlist to keep the powerlevel in check

www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resources.aspx...
To be clear a block in magic is the collection of three sets that are tied together thematically, they are always referenced by the first set of the block i.e Innistrad Block includes the sets Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored while Return to Ravnica Block will include Return to Ravnica, Gatecrash, and the yet unnamed third set codenamed "sinker".
I see.  Thanks guys.  That's a huge help!  I appreciate it a lot.
Standard: the last 2 blocks plus their coresets
currently that is Innistrad Block with M13 and Return to Ravnica Block (doesn't have a coreset yet)
this is the format offered at FNM (others can be offered as well, depending on the shop)

So, for clarity:

As of RTR, Standard will be:

Innistrad Block
M13
Return to Ravnica, etc.
M14?? (When released, obviously)

So once the block after RTR's coreset is introduced, Innistrad (and M13?) will be rotated out? I swear, this is the most confusing thing for me.

correct
as of today Standard is

Innistrad
Dark Ascension
Avacyn Restored
M13
Return to Ravnica

in February Gatecrash will be added
in May "Sinker" will be added
in July M14 will be added

in October "Friends" will be added and the 3 Innistrad sets and M13 will be removed