Jund Aggro

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
After seeing how aggressive some of the Rakdos creatures were I wanted to fix the with some green pump spells to finish opponents off quickly. 

This is what I came up with:

The idea is to hit really hard and fast, most creatures have Haste and there's a lot of cheap pump spells. At the prerelease I found Dynacharge really useful for pushing through that extra bit of damage.

Hellhole Flailer and Hellrider provide a way to deal extra damage.

I'm not sure whether to remove some of the pump spells to add burn spells or removal. In playtesting this deck comes out really fast and can usually deal 20 damage by turn 4.

I did think about having Slitherhead instead of Young Wolf as the hybrid cost would make it easier to cast, however you don't lose a body when the Wolf dies.

I'm also thinking of putting in Vexing Devil instead of either Rakdos Cackler or Young Wolf. Is it worth it? Which is better to replace the Cackler or the Wolf?
I would make a couple different considerations, while you do have a good base, I would suggest maybe some Deathrite Shaman or a set of Huntmaster of the Fells. You dont really have a creature that if you lay down its like "oh crap" to them. 

There is also an extreme lack of removal in your deck (id take out Dynacharge) , if they keep on removing your creatures, and you can't get any of yours through, your kinda stuck.  So maybe consider trying to fit in some removal in there.  

Also you land base I would add the Dragonskull Summit in there.   
Thanks for your advice. 

I really like Deathrite Shaman for his abilities and mana cost, thinking about removing Young Wolf for him. 

Huntmaster of the Fells is a really good card, though I'm not enitrely sure what to take out for him. 

That's been the problem with the deck in the past, if the creatures attacks don't get through it's very hard to win. Was thinking of Brimstone Volley at worst this allows me to do 3 damage, but has the potential to do more. 

My fear with adding Dragonskull Summit into the mana base was that there wouldn't be too many basics to make the lands come into play untapped. Would it be worth dropping Woodland Cemetery and Rootbound Crag down to 3 each and add in 3 Dragonskull Summits?
That would work mana wise, I would probably go Mizzium Mortars over brimstone volly, imo.  I like the guaranteed 4 damage, with the utility to do more.  
That would work mana wise, I would probably go Mizzium Mortars over brimstone volly, imo.  I like the guaranteed 4 damage, with the utility to do more.  

But mortars doesn't smash face for 5 when you want or need it. Thry both serve very different purposes, and should not be considered substitutes for eachother.
Are you on a budget? If not, why aren't Shocklands a consideration for solving your mana base?
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

As good as Mizzium Mortars is I prefer Brimstone Volley as it can also hit your opponent (as well as their creatures) for a minimum of 3 damage. I included it over Searing Spear as for extra it can potentially deal 5 damage.

Are you on a budget? If not, why aren't Shocklands a consideration for solving your mana base?

I'm on a bit of a budget, although I have been trying to acquire the shocklands. Would you recommend replacing the dual lands or basic lands with the shock lands?
As good as Mizzium Mortars is I prefer Brimstone Volley as it can also hit your opponent (as well as their creatures) for a minimum of 3 damage. I included it over Searing Spear as for extra it can potentially deal 5 damage.

I'm on a bit of a budget, although I have been trying to acquire the shocklands. Would you recommend replacing the dual lands or basic lands with the shock lands?

If you're on a budget you can get away with dual lands as long as you're providing the right number of basics for them to feed off of. If you're going for shock and mix of both you usually need your main deck pretty refined in order to get the right balance.

As far as the main deck goes I think you'll find most other people will tell you to run more burn as well. Searing Spear is a pretty high pick on most lists and Brimstone Volley is a bit of an investment if most of the removal you face is from o-rings and paths. Generally I think more burn is a good idea and a few for the creatures aren't top callibur. I'm a pretty big fan of Vexing Devil in some red aggro/burn decks and I feel like it's an excellent budget card.

Personally, I don't feel like giant growth isn't very playable and if you're going red that would probably be easily replaced by some good burn.

Overall I feel like this deck has a one track mind going for it but possibly spread over too many colors over three turns. The most consistancy you're going to see there is Rakdos Cackler into Rakdos Shred-freak into Dreg Mangler into Hellrider which equates to 0+4+7+14. And that's looking at a near best case scenario where nothing is contested. I would probably try to consolidate on color a bit more as casting a double green after opening with black or red is going to be difficult most times. I think red is going to be what you want to keep, especially with the base that you have. I would suggest replacing Young Wolf with Stromkirk Noble as a start for this and Vexing Devils as well. These are pretty good teir in red aggro for the money and may give you ideas to go from there. Perhaps going more splashy and less mainstream with the color splits will yield better results.

Hope this gives you a little bit more of a direction. The almost purely creature route without removal before is very singularly pathed and vulnerable to mass removal as well as other threats. Opening up the strategy a bit wider is probably a good idea.
Thanks for your advice. 

In playtesting I've had a few cases where I can't get Strangleroots out because of the mana issues. 

I've changed the deck to be more primarily red with a bit of black and splash green.

I'm not sure whether to use both Stromkirk Noble and Vexing Devil or remove one of them for Deathrite Shaman.

After looking at the decklist it is possible to remove green completely by replacing Rancor with either more burn or Deviant Glee and replacing Dreg Mangler with another creature, potentially something like Splatter Thug.
if you're on a budget, DON"T RUN 3 COLORS

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket