Custom Warbands

151 posts / 0 new
Last post
With three Dungeon Command factions out there and a fourth coming in November, I know some people are already looking at making their own custom warbands. Share your custom warband lists and order decks here so we can compare and talk shop

Trevor Kidd Community Manager

I've been continuously updating my band that consists of only Dex creatures and
order cards. Almost any creature can use any card at any time so it doesn't
require the right draw or situation to pull things off.

Creatures:

Umber Hulk x2
Drow Wizard x2
Elf Archer x2
Half-Orc Thug x3
Wolf x3

Order Cards:

Quick Shot x4
Feint x 4
Piercing Strike x4
Spring Attack x3
Nimble Strike x3
Near Miss x2
Riposte x2
Grovel x2
Quick Jab x3
Uncanny Dodge x3

Can't wait to build a Int based deck once Curse of Undeath comes out though.

Commander: Snig the Axe

Creature cards (12)
3x Goblin Archer
4x Goblin Cutter
2x Hobgoblin Sorcerer
1x Goblin Champion
2x Goblin Wolf Rider

Order cards (30)

(Engine)
3x Reinforcements
3x Arcane Ritual

(Aggro)
4x Goblin War Cry
4x Quick Jab
3x Shattered Weapon
3x Feint

(Mobility)
3x Nimble Strike
3x Forward the Horde

(Defense)
4x Shield
I had a slightly different take on the goblin warband; this build from three ToG sets:

Commander: Snig the Axe

Creatures:
3 Goblin Archer
4 Goblin Cutter
2 Hobgoblin Sorcerer
2 Goblin Champion
1 Horned Devil

Order Cards:
(Any)
3 Shattered Weapon 
4 Grovel
2 Reinforcements

(Cha)
2 Rally
4 Goblin War Cry
4 Forward the Horde
4 Death Sentence
2 Strength in Numbers

(Dex)
1 Leap Away
1 Narrow Escape
3 Nimble Strike 

It really does want the Arcane Rituals in it for extra card draw, though.

Cheers,
Merric 

How are the Grovels treating you? Using Shield makes me a bit more reliant on the Sorcerer I guess, but since over 50% of the time I'm using it to protect my Sorcerer because everything else on my list is expendable, I didn't find that a problem. Your version is much less reliant on Reinforcements too since you have a huge guy at the top end to tide you by if you start running out of cards. Death Sentence of course makes sense with the Devil. Not sure that Rally does enough work in your warband to justify the inclusion.

I like these. I made mine for fighting 2 on 2 and 1 on 1. My older brother has all three and I bought doubles of each set. I made mine for Dex and Int. 15 Creatures and 50 Order.

Creatures are:
Drow Wizard x4
War Wizard x2
Elf Archer x4
Copper Dragon x2
Umber Hulk x2
Drow Priestess x1

I only put the Priestess in here for doubles and drawlying extra order to protect my ally or myself from the Dex defenses. I like to play ranged, speed, and defensive wise.

Order cards:
Acrobatics x4
Loping Stride x4
Quick Shot x4
Quick Jab x2
Close Call x4
Stealth x2
Vial of Poison x2
Stalk x4
Spring Attack x2
Web x4
Mirror Image x2
Shield x2
Open Portal x2
Arcane Ritual x2
Faerie Fire x4
Fireball x2
Scheme x2
Lolth's Blessing x2

Since most of these I can use on other creatures I thought that these would be good. With the little bit of Wis, I figured that the number of Order cards I could draw would be good in this set up.  Using the champion with a high starting Order hand size would help this out perfectly.
I bought each of the first three faction packs.  I brought them to a friend's house and we each alternated in choosing one character from my set of 38 miniatures.  Then we did the same thing with the order cards.   My strategy was to take from the most powerful creatures with the most physical abilities and since this was my first time playing with the goblin faction, I disproportionately choose from the set I hadn't yet played with.  I also choose a lot of constitution, strength, dexterity, and charisma based order cards.  I specifically choose order cards that were for high level creatures.  My friend almost exclusively choose ranged based creatures.  And the order cards he choose were almost all dexterity based. 

The result was that I got enhililated.  My "friend" would shoot me and then back away.  It only took a few turn for my moral to be completely gone.  Meanwhile, his moral might have actually increased.  My conclusions are that, if you play this way: generally lower level creatures  are more effective (because of most order cards being designed for lower level creatures), that dexterity is the best ability to base your deck around (since dexterity based order cards and creatures and the most plentiful), that decks work best when tailored narrowly to one ability (because then you can use all of the order cards in your hand), and that making ranged attacks is extreamely valuable (because you can get in more hits with ranged attacks).   

When the curse of undeath faction pack comes out on November 20th, intelligence, charisma, and constitution based warbands will become much more formidable than they are right now.  But right now the only seemingly viable alternative to dexterity is strength.  

A house rule that I plan on trying is to require that a player's order cards cannot be more than half focused on any one of the six abiltiy statistics (dexterity, strength, constitution, intellience, wisdom, or charisma).   The purpose of the requirement is that it would cause a lot of unusual builds to be more viable.  Also I don't like the idea of warbands with four of the same creature.   Instead, I would recommend a house rule that requires that either one or two of any creature can be in a warband.   This has the benifit of forcing players think harder about how their characters fit together. 
Following normal rules I would want try out the following warband with four of the following creature and order cards:

Drow Priestess 
Giant Spider 
Demonweb Spider

Acrobatics, Loping Stride, Fire Trap, Parry, Scheme, Lolth's Blessing, Spring Attack, healing potion, Near Miss

Commander:  Aliszandra Malistros (she provides the spiders and drow with two extra movement)

The strategy of this warband would be to stay out of the fight long enough to draw a lot of order cards.  The serious weakness of this set it that it only offers one order card that adds damage (fire trap).  And since there are no level 1 immediate action cards, the Demonweb Spiders would be totally vulnerable to any attacks.   The remidy to this problem would be to not play the level one spiders until the end.

We've been doing monthly tournaments at my store, so I've got some reasonably refined lists and have accumulated a fair number of figures to make Standard lists.  (We use the Canadian-style prize structure where everyone drafts figures out of boxes each tournament, and we've had 3 or 4 so far.)  Anyway, I've got 3 current decks.  Our next tourney is Sunday the 25th and I haven't decided which one to run yet, they alll seem pretty good to me.

Snig Toolbox

This deck's basic idea is to build up cards and leadership with the Hobgoblin Sorcerer (Arcane Ritual/Strength in Numbers) and then use that along with the flexibility of Snig to bury the opponent in cards/dudes.  The large goblin cicle tile has tons of annoying terrain, which makes it hard for them to rush you before you can get going, and Snig rules.  With a 5 creature hand you'll draw the whole deck quite quickly, so you can bust out the Shadow Mastiff, Umber Hulk, and Horned Devil right at the perfect time (hence Toolbox).  The Shadow Mastiff is especially awesome with Snig since it pops up at the start of your turn to kill a straggler or break up the enemy's advance.  The order deck also has some low-copy cards that are sometimes huge blowouts because with 4x Arcane Ritual you're going to draw most of the deck most games.  Early on you focus on grabbing treasure and setting up; unless your opponent has a similar engine you don't need to get super aggressive.

Snig the Axe
3x Hobgoblin Sorcerer
3x Goblin Archer
3x Goblin Champion
1x Umber Hulk
1x Shadow Mastiff
1x Horned Devil

4x Grovel - Just one defense card in the deck since Snig makes losses way less important; I like Grovel because everyone can use it
4x Death Sentence
4x Strength in Numbers
4x Arcane Ritual
3x Quick Jab
3x Nimble Strike - It's important that this works on Goblin Archers and boosts their ranged attack
4x Piercing Strike - The Goblin set made this slightly worse but it's still one of the best attack cards in the game IMO
2x Goblin War Cry - Not everyone's a goblin and I hate drawing tons of these early, but sometimes you need to swarm something to end the game
1x Shadowy Ambush
1x Fireball

Tiles: 1x Large Goblin Arcane Circle, 1x Large Cormyr Arcane Circle, small pieces mostly irrelevant

Bugbear Bowling

This is probably my favorite of the decks to play.  The whole plan is to create an uber-Bugbear Berserker (usually involving Undaunted Surge) and use it to to murder huge numbers of guys in one or two glorious turns of bloodshead.  Because the Bugbear gets a full untap every time he kills someone, you can use Stalk, Shaowy Ambush, etc between attacks to get the next target into range.  Support is Wisdom dudes for card draw and so that the Bugbear can get patched up by a Dwarf Cleric in a pinch, plus some small spiders to grab treasures, mess with line of sight, and sometimes sneak in a Piercing Strike like a jerk.  It's possible the card draw isn't necessary but I like it for insurance.  An arcane card draw variant is probably also possible, but I prefer the Wisdom one because needing to stand in Arcane Circles leaves you vulnerable sometimes and the Bugbear doesn't want to have to play defense.  Also, the Drow Priestess can use a bunch of the good Dex cards to get a hit in out of nowhere, and the Dwarf Cleric can scheme and use Str/Con cards.

Tarkon Draal - I think Rhynsera would also be fine here but 8 Ld can let you start Bugbear/Wis dude/Spider and cowering is appealing against a Bugbear
4x Bugbear Berserker
3x Demonweb Spider - Against ranged attackers, spawning one of these guys in an inconvenient spot is better than Grovel, it's sweet
3x Priestess of Lolth
2x Dwarf Cleric

3x Lolth's Blessing
2x Forceful Strike - Mostly lets the Dwarf Cleric knock people into Bugbear range, or if you just want to hit for 80, but can also set up Priestess finishes 
1x Spring Attack - I don't love this card since it has no damage bonus, but sometimes you just want your Bugbear to move super fast
3x Undaunted Surge - Remember this card increases all melee attack damage, even fixed amounts like Shadowy Amubush or Seize the Opportunity!
2x Shadowy Ambush
3x Scheme
4x Seize the Opportunity - This card is unreal.  It gets boosted by Undaunted Surge, and if it kills the attacker, the attack fails and the Bugbear untaps
2x Piercing Strike
2x Tough as Nails - Don't be afraid to use this card on a Bugbear on their turn even if you know you're going to replace it with Undaunted Surge on yours
4x Quick Jab  - Remember not to kill guys with this card before using your standard since you'll miss untaps and are less likely to draw out immediates
2x Uncanny Dodge
2x Stalk - I normally hate minors that move you and do nothing else since they cost a card, but sometimes you just need to get your Bugbear around

Tiles: Not super important, but I use the tightest spaces/most cover I can find, since it lets the Drow Priestess hide and in general the bugbear doesn't like getting shot.  Suggest avoiding anything with an Arcane Circle though, or lots of rough terrain; mostly you want a bunch of walls to hide behind to mess with ranged fire but not Bugbear movement.  Since none of your guys use Arcane Circles there's no reason to let War Wizards pop up in annoying places.

Ranged Adventurers

This deck is about using Str and Int to push people around and then shoot them, hopefully all at once either with Fireball or the Half-Orc Thug's Explosive Bolts power.  There's not a lot of defense of any sort, but the idea is to lure them into traps where you can use Behind Enemy Lines and the various pushes to get them out of position and deal a bunch of damage to all their dudes.  Also featuring card draw.  (I do sometimes not have card draw in my decks, I promise!  I had a Str/Con build I liked a lot without it but I took it apart to tinker.  It's possible I have a card advantage addiction problem...)

Rhynsera the Alarphon I don't have my cards on me so likely misspelled this.  Tarkon Draal would likely also be fine but I like digging for Ritual
4x Half-Orc Thug
3x Drow Wizard
3x War Wizard
2x Dragon Knight - You almost always want to wait to deploy this guy with Behind Enemy Lines

2x Faerie Fire - Only a 2-of because it can clog your hand, but important if they drop a Dragon or something dumb like that
1x Blast of Force - For when some jerk tries to tie down a wizard in melee
4x Forceful Strike - This card is unreal good all the time, but especially when you're trying to knock guys into fireballs
1x Tough as Nails - Only the Dragon Knight can use it hence just 1, but you generally want it on him.  I could see going to two with Rhynsera
3x Behind Enemy Lines - The flavor text is 100% lies, I don't think I've ever tried to use this to gain morale, just surprise attack the rear all day
1x Shattered Weapon 
4x Arcane Ritual
4x Heroic Surge
4x Quick Shot
4x Shield
2x Fireball 

Tiles: Use at least one Cormyr arcane circle large tile since it has good sight lines.  A second of those is fine, but the Goblin arcane circle is also defensible since the cover/difficult terrain can help you channel attackers into a small area where you can more easily rock them with Explosive Bolts and Fireballs.

Those are my current decks.  I might try to do a tournament report about Sunday's event, or even get some video if I can find a camera. 
Undead warband first draft, from 2x boxes of Curse of Undeath (and my trusty 3x Arcane Ritual).

Commander: Delthrin Everet

4x Zombie
3x Skeleton Warrior
2x Disciple of Kyuss
2x Lich Necromancer
1x Dracolich

Order cards

3x Arcane Ritual
2x Call to Battle
4x Strength in Numbers
2x Unending Horde
3x Gout of Fire
4x Death Grip
4x Careful Attack
4x Reckless Attack
4x Patch Up

This is my attempt at a pure engine/control warband with long game inevitability. You play the Undead tile with an arcane circle 2x (small tiles are usually not very important, but they should not have arcane circles... don't make it easy for War Mage to screw you). Your ideal deployment is one of any of your INT/CHA characters with whatever bodyguards you can afford, hoping to have one of your 9 engine cards in hand, sitting away from combat for as many turns as possible filling up your hand with Arcane Ritual, getting Leadership advantage with Strength in Numbers and/or gaining Morale with Call to Battle. Be opportunistic if you can kill something and get extra Leadership, but your game plan is to build yourself up for multiple turns. You might need to intervene so as not to just concede all the treasures on the map without contest, but they're very low priority.

Your favorite deployment of course is Lich Necromancer, so that you can setup base anywhere on the map where you have a good concentration of treasure (ideally 3, but 2 is sufficient if you need to keep your important INT/CHA leader from danger). Otherwise you have to stick to the room nearest to your start position. Of course, a Dracolich start against Goblins or any weenie warband is probably a win for you, and Disciple of Kyuss is also going to be an issue for any warband that depends on melee attacks.

Investing cards on your INT/CHA guys will make them a priority target, so you can bring the battle to you. Set yourself up in a defensible position (sitting on a door for instance gives you the possibility of range attacks while having cover) and force them to overextend. With Leadership you gain from kills, set yourself up with a huge unbeatable army.

This is the theory anyway. I'll see if it works in practice this Sunday.

Important probabilities:

Odds of starting with an INT/CHA guy in hand: 85%.
Odds of an all INT/CHA hand: 4.5%
Odds of being utterly screwed and not getting any low level guy in your first 4 creature cards: 1%
Odds of having only one low-level guy and two INT/CHA: 36%

Tricky opening hands:

Dracolich + 2 small guys: Deploy Dracolich if you have engine cards in your starting 3, because you need to start the engine ASAP. Otherwise deploy your Zombies or Skeletons to try to draw into a better leader. Hopefully you have a Strength in Numbers (to quickly deploy extra guys) or Zombie + Call to Battle to start building up Morale ASAP.

Lich Necromancer + 2x Skeleton Warriors: You're fine. You can deploy your Skeleton Warrior at the end of your first turn without losing out, because you can deploy adjacent to the Lich.

Disciple + 2x Lich: Unless your opponent is playing a lot of Goblin Cutters or something, or you just have absolutely no engine cards in hand, go with Lich. Hope you roll right on the 78% chance of getting a Zombie or Skeleton to deploy next, or you might not last long this game.

2x Disciple + Lich: With Strength in Numbers in hand, I would deploy Disciple and the second one at the end of the first turn with any melee warband.

Dracolich + 2x Lich:
This is hard. I think you want Dracolich unless you have Strength in Numbers (hopefully 2 of them), because if you draw a Disciple next you're going to lose with Lich. Short range and mostly a glass cannon is not good if you can't deploy bodyguards. Dracolich is so impressive, you might be able to cower a bit, shoot lightning all over the map and drag out the game long enough to come back into it.

I have finally made a warband with the faction sets that I have and I have used order cards and creatures from each box. 

Commander
Delthrin Everet
His ability: Gain 1 leadership for each enemy creature destroyed during your turn.

Creatures
Undead: Vampire Stalker, Skeletal Lancer, Hypnotic Spirit, Skeletal Tomb Guardian, Warrior Skeleton
Goblins: Horned Devil, Goblin Wolf Rider, Bugbear Berserker, Goblin Champion, Hobgoblin Soldier
Lolth: Shadow Mastiff
Cormyr: Elf Archer

Order Cards
Undead: Magic Short Sword, Defensive Advantage 2, Unbreakable 2, Call to Battle, Hypnotic Gaze, Warning Shout 2, Regenerate, and Terrifying Revelation
Goblins: Acrobatics 2, Loping Stride 2, Feral Vitality, Undaunted Surge 2, Death Sentence 2, Strength in Numbers 2, and Mortal Wound
Lolth: Piercing Strike 2, Quick Jab 2, Fire Trap, Parry 2, and Near Miss 2
Cormyr: Healing Potion, and Into the Fray

Strategy Options
Call to Battle is potentially the worst choice of the order cards since it requires a magic circle to operate optimally and none of my other order cards or creatures make any use of magic circles.  If I were to substitute the Hobgoblin Sorcerer for the Hypnotic Spirit then perhaps this could be resolved.  Otherwise perhaps Call to Battle should be replaced by Portal Stone or Saving Throw.

Inspiration
The vampire is an amazing character and I wanted to include some of each faction in my set.  

Ability Restriction on the Order Cards
Dexterity: 13
Constititution: 10
Charisma: 10
Any: 3 

Abilities of the Creatures
Dexterity: 6
Constitution:7
Charisma: 5

Weaknesses of the Order Cards
I only have seven cards out of thirty-six that give me extra mobility.  Ony one card, Into the Fray, gives one of my pieces an extra move as a minor action. Hypnotic Gaze, which I have two of, allows me to move one enemy three squares.  Acrobatics and Loping Stride are the main order cards I am counting on to increase my mobility.  Having two of each, I should be able to use them on either my bugbear or vampire who I hope will become tough, mobile killers.  

Main Plan 
I have inclueded a lot of attach cards that ought to enhance either my bugbear or my vampire.  In total I have nine; they make up 25% of my deck.  In addition to the four mobility cards I mentioned in the paragraph above I have three that will enhance my attacks and two that will help my characters survive.  The offensive cards are magic short sword, which requires creatures to absorb the melee damage they are dealt, and undaunted surge, which adds ten melee damage to the creature it is attacked to.  These work particularly well with the bugbear since whenever an adjacent creature is destroyed he is untapped.  The vampire's slightly less awesome ability is the that he gains ten health every time he does melee damage to an opponent.   The two defense oriented cards are tough as nails and regenerate.  I only have one of each though so I cannot count on gaining them during a game.   Conceptually, either the vampire or the bugbear can be come very impressive creatures as I add attach more and more order cards to them.  I have another attach card not mentioned as part of the 25% since it dosesn't work on the bugbear.  Although I did mention Call to Battle earlier.  Unfortunately Call to Battle isn't a great card to play on a creature that already has a lot of order cards attached.
My current deck that has been treating me very well (background info being that I own two of every set, no more, no less):

Commander

Delthrin Everet

Creatures (12)

Warrior Skeleton x4
Skeletal Tomb Guardian x2
Disciple of Kyuss x2
Lich Necromancer x2
Dracolich x2

Orders (32, because I can't decide which 2 to ditch):

Patch Up x3
Hulking Attack x4
Defensive Advantage x4
Reckless Attack x2
Feral Vitality x2
Warning Shout x3
Death Sentence x3
Unending Horde x2
Arcane Ritual x2
Fireball x2
Vampiric Touch x2
Gout of Fire x3

Lich Necromancer is by far the preferred card for opening hand, preferably along with a skeleton bodyguard. Failing that a Dracolich will do. Once you get a few kills in the Leadership bonus for commander kicks in and that's why this deck consists of higher average level than most decks I've played so far (if not all). I might have problems against a very defensive enemy like a turtle adventurer deck (haven't faced that with this deck yet). A couple of Strength in Numbers might help. These are wonderful if you draw them in opening hand, but completely useless further on in the game. Just about every card is more useful being drawn in the end game than Strength in Numbers so I left them out (for now, if I feel I am consistently struggling with Leadership in early game I might still add them).

As for the rest of the Order deck, it's a healthy mix of Con and Int/Cha. Half the deck consists of Con Orders that will protect my 6 skeletons or help them hit harder (with added advantages of drawing cards or gaining morale). The other half of the deck consists of Cha and Int cards that are all usable by my 6 Int/Cha ranged creatures. Basically my Int/Cha creatures lead from the back and aid the Skeletons (Unending Horde, Death Sentence, Warning Shout) while occasionaly laying down some fire themselves (Gout of Fire, Fireball). Vampiric Touch is there to make sure that my Leaders survice direct contact with enemies a bit longer, should any get to them.

Let me know what you think...
I will suppose that some of your card choices are due to being limited to 2x of them. IMO you will likely find Death Sentence to be a bit underwhelming in this warband due to the lack of heavy hitters on your frontline, so I'd cut those and add 1x copy of something else. Patch Up, Warning Shout or Gout of Fire are all excellent choices. An extra Gout of Fire would be a good idea. IIRC Death Sentence is melee, which means Gout of Fire is +30 damage but Death Sentence will at most be worth +20, even if you were to use it on a Dracolich. It's the sort of card you want to use on a Feral Troll, Bugbear or Horned Devil (maybe a Goblin Champion with Flanking active), not level 1s or 2s.
I will suppose that some of your card choices are due to being limited to 2x of them. IMO you will likely find Death Sentence to be a bit underwhelming in this warband due to the lack of heavy hitters on your frontline, so I'd cut those and add 1x copy of something else. Patch Up, Warning Shout or Gout of Fire are all excellent choices. An extra Gout of Fire would be a good idea. IIRC Death Sentence is melee, which means Gout of Fire is +30 damage but Death Sentence will at most be worth +20, even if you were to use it on a Dracolich. It's the sort of card you want to use on a Feral Troll, Bugbear or Horned Devil (maybe a Goblin Champion with Flanking active), not level 1s or 2s.

You forget that the Skeletal Tomb Guardian has a very nice side effect when adjacent to multiple enemies (which you would first maneuver him into before using Death Sentence of course). Also, the nice thing about Death Sentence is that you can either draw out Immediates and follow up with the extra damage cards which then go through unopposed or do it the other way around (granted, without the extra damage). Gout of Fire, while being very good (there's a reason I've included 3) is one attack, which can be prevented. I'd rather have a little versatility and keep it in there.

I will admit that Death Sentence was already on the list of cards to go if I decide I need others, like Strength in Numbers if I feel I need them, or maybe Call to Battle.....or more Reckless Attack, or Tough as Nails or Faerie Fire, or Web...there are tons of cards which could be good. The difficulty with Deck Building isn't what to put in, but what to leave out ;)
An extra Gout of Fire would be a good idea.

"Gout of Fire: Level 3 INT, Standard - Requires Ranged, Make a ranged attack that deals Weapon + 20 damage"  Maybe one of us is mistaken about the effects of Gout of Fire.  But unless this order card can used in conjunction with the Dracolich's special ability, I think Gout of Fire is lacking a niche.

Why am I seeing so many decks running Delthrin Everet?  Does everyone else play in a metagame full of level 1 dudes?  You have to kill 4 enemy creatures (with only 3 starting orders!) before he has a single stat better than Kalteros, at which point the game should be almost over.  What gives?
I have only played with Delthrin Everet twice.  During the first battle I didn't destroy enough creatures to make him effective.  Although the second battle went a lot better.  Maybe you are right.  I might be over estimating him.  Probably the reason people are likely to build with him right now is because he is the only new commander that is useful to living warbands (as opposed to undead warbands). 

Why am I seeing so many decks running Delthrin Everet?  Does everyone else play in a metagame full of level 1 dudes?  You have to kill 4 enemy creatures (with only 3 starting orders!) before he has a single stat better than Kalteros, at which point the game should be almost over.  What gives?

Delthrin Everet heavily incentivizes your opponent to cower, and every time your opponent cowers instead of taking damage or just letting his creature finally die, you're winning a bit more. That's also why I hate 'cannot prevent damage' cards... cowering is damage prevention so Magic Shortsword and such does not give your opponent the rope to hang himself with.

The fact he's also stellar against what was the best warband before Curse came out (Goblin swarm) is gravy.

However, since it appears I'm the only player locally who realized the power of swarm and everyone is now packing 3 Fireballs and extra stuff just to deal with me, I'm switching over to the other Undead commander.
I mean, I guess he's good against people who haven't done the math and so are terrified of letting you get more leadership, but you start so far behind I'm confident the correct play is to ignore the trigger and play as usual.  Cowering is a fair point I guess but I'm also pretty sure if I'm playing against people who are super cower happy I'm going to win regardless so I'd rather play a leader that does something against people who know what they're doing.
It seems to me that the danger of playing Delthrin Everet is mostly that your opponent will only bring out his high level characters.  And you will be left only killing a few of them before the game ends. However, it is the low level characters that are most effective.  Perhaps the point of this commander is to incentivize higher level creatures.
It seems to me that the danger of playing Delthrin Everet is mostly that your opponent will only bring out his high level characters.  And you will be left only killing a few of them before the game ends. However, it is the low level characters that are most effective.  Perhaps the point of this commander is to incentivize higher level creatures.

I kind of disagree that lower-level creatures are more effective, though.  There are certainly advantages to running a bunch of dudes, but there are a lot of cards that scale quite well with higher levels, or that really punish swarms.  It seems pretty balanced to me at this point.

Even aside from that, though, four dudes is a whole lot to kill, and since you're not running Snig, you've got to kill four dudes and then get the extra guys into position, and even then you've just gotten to the point where you started 10 LD and otherwise have the worst stats in the game.  He just seems bad to me, even if you expect a swarm.  If you think you're going to be facing down infinite dudes, I'd rather just build a deck that's effective against that than run a commander that might be.

I kind of disagree that lower-level creatures are more effective, though.  There are certainly advantages to running a bunch of dudes, but there are a lot of cards that scale quite well with higher levels, or that really punish swarms.

Yesterday I had 4 Zombies take down a Dracolich by themselves. It was a thing of beauty. The Dracolich was able to kill one and severely bang up the remaining three (they only had 10 HP remaining each) but I consider that more than an even trade, all things considered.

Good use of cover (that Lightning Breath is sort of scary) and overconfidence on the part of my opponent.

Absolutely, and Zombies are good for that too (other than being slow, hence needing overconfidence) because they're really hard to take out for a level 1.

On the other hand, I've killed 10+ levels of level 3 or less guys on one turn with a Bugbear several times, but conversely barely pulled out a super close game with my tuned Int/Cha deck vs. the Undead starter box.  Optimization talk aside, one of the awesome things about DC is that things tend to be close enough in power that good gameplay is always important.  (And as you point out, overconfidence will almost always kill you, that's part of what happened to me vs. the Undead box.)

I kind of disagree that lower-level creatures are more effective, though.  There are certainly advantages to running a bunch of dudes, but there are a lot of cards that scale quite well with higher levels, or that really punish swarms.

Yesterday I had 4 Zombies take down a Dracolich by themselves. It was a thing of beauty. The Dracolich was able to kill one and severely bang up the remaining three (they only had 10 HP remaining each) but I consider that more than an even trade, all things considered.

Good use of cover (that Lightning Breath is sort of scary) and overconfidence on the part of my opponent.

It's easy to get overconfident with one of the "big guys". My goblins took down a Dracolich the same way. Cutters and Archers pack a nasty (and quite massive) punch when being allowed to gang up on a single opponent.
I've adapted the ideas from Bugbear Bowling but I only own 2x Bugbear.. but I do have 3x Vampire Stalkers which can fulfill a somewhat similar role (more staying power, less outright explosive destruction).

2x Goblin Archer (best 1 drop in the game, has DEX)
2x Hypnotic Spirit (CHA, basically wins any 1 on 1 confrontation long term)
2x Goblin Champion (more CHA, DEX, flanking is decent in a melee warband)
3x Vampire Stalker (core of the band with...)
2x Bugbear (oh yeah, this can escalate quickly)
1x Horned Devil (a final CON, CHA bruiser at the high end of the curve, could be the 3rd Archer)

2x Magic Shortsword
3x Death Sentence
3x Hypnotic Gaze
4x Defensive Advantage (hey, no Scheme, Lolth's Blessing or Arcane Circle)
2x Unbreakable
2x Tough as Nails
4x Undaunted Surge
4x Quick Jab
3x Nimble Strike
3x Spring Attack

I call it Chessmaster. Other former Dreamblade players will get the reference. I am going to be playing it with either the 8 or 9 Leadership commander. I think Tarkon because I want them to wish to refrain from cowering.
That looks like a good plan to me.  I was about to recommend Parry, but then I remembered that Parry is a level 2 card and you would have to keep your archers next to a dexterity creature, if you wanted to protect the archers.  Since you are going to using Tarkon you might consider droping the Magic Short Sword.  If you are going to keep the Magic Short Swords then add Cleave.  

I can certainly see posibilities for Spring Attack and the Bugbear.  Bugbear with an Undaunted Surge could kill a creature with one hit, then you could play Spring Attack, move six spaces, kill another creature, move six more spaces, kill another creature, move seven spaces, and then attack a fourth creature for thirty damage.  Using only two order cards and your bugbear you would have split 120 damage equally between four creatures.

Hypnotic Gaze is your only card that lets you move your opponents and since it is useable by two-thirds of your creatures it is likely to help you set up the battlefield the way that you want.
I refrain from using any STR cards like Cleave because the only card being able to play them is the Bugbear, and I do have only two of them. Vampire can use all my cards, the rest of the figs can only use a subset but together they should have adequate coverage that I rarely see useless cards even if I have to play two support figs instead of one support + one core. In fact I've been thinking of cutting back on CON cards and adding more DEX but Parry is just not as good as Defensive Advantage and the only figs I 100% want to protect are Bugbear and Vampire, since they're going to get a bunch of cards invested on them.

I think 2x Magic Shortsword is good because you just will never get an opportunity to kill multiple creatures even with Tarkon as a commander unless you can force damage through. You don't want 4x because they'll just get stuck in hand, and even 3x is a bit pushing it.
Thinking of changing Tough as Nails to Regenerate and cut one Undaunted Surge to shore up one of my other 3x of cards (I'd make it Nimble Strike if I had a fourth, instead I think Hypnotic Gaze). I haven't played yet but I've tried a few test draws and unless I change Goblin Champion to Hobgoblin Soldier I think 6x cards that remove all attached cards is too much. They start to screw each other up. At least Regen and Magic Short Sword I can play in the right orderr so they don't get removed.
After one game, a change around.

Commander : Tarkon

Creatures (no change)
2x Goblin Archer
2x Hypnotic Spirit
2x Goblin Champion
3x Vampire Stalker
2x Bugbear
1x Horned Devil

2x Magic Shortsword
4x Death Sentence
4x Hypnotic Gaze
4x Defensive Advantage
2x Unbreakable
4x Undaunted Surge
4x Quick Jab
3x Nimble Strike
3x Spring Attack

I never drew Regenerate and there is not a single time I thought it would have been a great card to draw, so I cut them back and will be putting in the last Hypnotic Gaze and Death Sentence. Death Sentence isn't great with Bugbear but is stellar with a boosted up Vampire and serves as extra Quick Jab for speedy healing. Hypnotic Gaze is just really devastating and when they know you have it, it often forces your opponent to play suboptimally just so they don't get blown off by a well timed Hypnotic Gaze.

Never drew the Magic Shortsword so I'm seriously considering cutting it due to it being somewhat less than useful. I'd like the fourth of Nimble Strike and Spring Attack, though I don't actually own the Nimble Strike... Unbreakable is also a bit underwhelming at time, it could easily be a Close Call or some other level 3 DEX card to allow use by Goblin Champion.
That looks pretty solid. Although the Goblin Champion is....well...a sub-optimal creature, I get why you would want to include it on account of the Dex/Cha combo. Let us know how this warband performs in future encounters.
That looks pretty solid. Although the Goblin Champion is....well...a sub-optimal creature, I get why you would want to include it on account of the Dex/Cha combo. Let us know how this warband performs in future encounters.

Goblin Champion is slightly fragile but will almost always hit as hard as a Vampire without a +10 damage boost card. If anything, I think the Hypnotic Spectre is the creature that is subpar in general (though it is an excellent treasure hunter). Almost all the mobility in the warband is in the DEX cards.
Hypotic Spectre is an excellent card, but balanced by the fact that it only has CHA for an ability. For this reason I haven't included it in my current Undead warband (posted earlier) although I could very well see me using it in future warbands I'd like to try.
my group is doing a base set + draft system for our games.

curerntly we each started with a set and then drafted from 1 of each set. we also allow trades.

Currently I am the goblin player here it is:

2x Horned Demon
2x Vampire
2x Goblin Archer
2x Wolf
1x Bugbear
1x goblin Wolf rider
1x 4 armed skeleton
1x gravehound

(My ideal list is 3 vampires, 3 horned demons, 3 archers and 3 gravehounds.)

Order Cards:
1 Magic Sword
2 Tough As Nails
4 Undaunted Surge
4 Broken Weapon
4 Reckless Attack
4 Unbreakable
2 Hulking Strike
2 Defensive Advantage
1 Regeneration
4 Warning Shouts
4 Death Sentence
4 Gaze
2 +1 Leadership?
1 Level up
2 Patch up

(Ideal deck is):
4 magic sword
4 tough as nails
4 Reckless Attack
4 Unbreakable
4 Defensive Advantage
4 Death Sentence
4 Gaze
4 Warning Shout
4 Broken Weapon
4 Undaunted Surge

That's... actually kind of awesome. I should talk with our tournament buddies to set up something similar for a league.

That's... actually kind of awesome. I should talk with our tournament buddies to set up something similar for a league.

We all started with a base box (i was goblin, player 2 was croymyr, player 3 was drow and player 4 was undead.)

we then opened a 2nd copy of all 4 and put it in the middle of the table.

re rolled off for draft position. 1-4

then we draft in a first in first out order.
player 1 drafts 1 item
player 2 drafts 1 item
player 3 drafts 1 item
player 4 drafts 2 items.
player 3 drafts 1 item
player 2 drafts 1 item
player 1 drafts 2 items.
player 2 drafts 1 item

repeat untill you stop.

we did 24 drafts the first go round, but we think thats too many now. our ideal is to do 12 drafts then play a round robin tourney and then do another draft.

our tourney is a round robin so each palyer plays all others.
so we play 3 1v1 games.
then the lowest player and the highest player team up for a team game against the other 2.
after that we rank for the tourneyment

so If i won all 3 of my 1v1's i would team with the lowest player, lets say he only won 1 game.

we lose our team game and now im tied with 3 wins with whoever was in 2nd place.

we use the 1v1 games as a tie breaker, so since I beat the person I'm tied with in our 1v1 match I take first place.

as victory for being the overall winner of our mini tourney i get to pick the next box to open and add to the draft pile, As well as i get to take any 1 single pull before the draft begins. My team mate from the team game gets a free pick after me to give him incentive to play well during the team game even if hes last place.

then we repeat the draft with 1-4.

then play another tourney.

it's working fairly well the only issue we see is that if one player gets a deck that is too powerfull it makes it much less fun for the rest of the group. although after we do a few tourneys we plan to reset and swap starter boxes.
Soooo.....aside from more warbands, which I'm always interested in seeing, how have people done with the warbands posted here so far? Did they work like you imagined, did you edit them (how and for what reason?) I'm interested in hearing these things.

sadly I haven't been playing any Dungeon Command since I last posted my own warband, so I can't really tell you how it did (it was already updated from playtesting a previous version), but I'm hoping to get some games in during the holidays.
Soooo.....aside from more warbands, which I'm always interested in seeing, how have people done with the warbands posted here so far? Did they work like you imagined, did you edit them (how and for what reason?) I'm interested in hearing these things.

sadly I haven't been playing any Dungeon Command since I last posted my own warband, so I can't really tell you how it did (it was already updated from playtesting a previous version), but I'm hoping to get some games in during the holidays.

At this point I pretty much never lose, having about 90%+ win percentage. I am almost certain it's not my warband choice per say, but just that I have actually thought about this game a lot more than the other local players.    

After one game, a change around.

Commander : Tarkon

Creatures (no change)
2x Goblin Archer
2x Hypnotic Spirit
2x Goblin Champion
3x Vampire Stalker
2x Bugbear
1x Horned Devil

2x Magic Shortsword
4x Death Sentence
4x Hypnotic Gaze
4x Defensive Advantage
2x Unbreakable
4x Undaunted Surge
4x Quick Jab
3x Nimble Strike
3x Spring Attack

I never drew Regenerate and there is not a single time I thought it would have been a great card to draw, so I cut them back and will be putting in the last Hypnotic Gaze and Death Sentence. Death Sentence isn't great with Bugbear but is stellar with a boosted up Vampire and serves as extra Quick Jab for speedy healing. Hypnotic Gaze is just really devastating and when they know you have it, it often forces your opponent to play suboptimally just so they don't get blown off by a well timed Hypnotic Gaze.

Never drew the Magic Shortsword so I'm seriously considering cutting it due to it being somewhat less than useful. I'd like the fourth of Nimble Strike and Spring Attack, though I don't actually own the Nimble Strike... Unbreakable is also a bit underwhelming at time, it could easily be a Close Call or some other level 3 DEX card to allow use by Goblin Champion.

I have only had the chance to play to non-constructed games of this myself and I have fallen in love with the game. I just looked over your warband and it looks awesome. Even has a few creatures I wanted to mess with.

I love the inclusion of Defensive Advantage. I know I've seen so much talk over the Ritual or Blessing but this card itself is a wonderful toolbox card. Any card replacing itself deserves to be looked at closely.

Now for the Magic Shortword, even though you haven't had a chance to use it, I imagine it would be a great card not only against Preventive orders, but also when they are cowering since that prevents damage, am I correct? Only running two seems like a good idea, and if sideboards were in this game, it definitely seems like it would make a great card for that.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

At this point I pretty much never lose, having about 90%+ win percentage. I am almost certain it's not my warband choice per say, but just that I have actually thought about this game a lot more than the other local players.    

I'm in the same boat, more or less.  One of our regulars (who doesn't post here) has spent about as much time with it and tends to give me a run for my money; he won our November tournament, I won the December one, and we are pretty close in actual games too.  There's one other person in our local meta who is pretty skilled, but he's got a lot fewer cards than either of us so hasn't managed to beat me yet (to his sadness) though he's gotten quite close and I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time.

I've got three new post-Curse lists plus a new version of Bugbear Bowling that was so combotastic I took it apart for being basically intolerable.  I keep meaning to post them here, but unfortunately now that I have time I realize I left them at the store, so can't do it at the moment.

I will say: I like the metagame a lot, with the exception of Bugbear Bowling.  It's not quite unbeatable in a general sense, but it is infuriatingly non-interactive and there are some decks that seem to have no chance at all against it if it's competently commanded (namely anything without 90+ HP creatures).  I don't have an exact list, but the variant that seems to work the best is roughly:

Aliszandra Malistros
3 Priestess of Lolth
3 Bugbear Berserker
4 Demonweb Spider
0-2 Elf Archer
0-2 Dwarf Cleric
(Elf Archers are the more combo build, Dwarf Clerics are if you want to have some kind of backup plan where you can stand and fight.  Malistros is important because you get super fast spiders and so pretty much always get a lot of free morale, and 4 creature hand is really important.)

3+ Scheme
3+ Blessing of Lolth
(Lurking the Drow Priestess in the back ranks and drawing a million cards is super important since the whole plan is to dump cards into the Bugbear while it munches their team.)

2+ Stealth  (My most important innovation post-Curse other than Magic Short Sword, I'm not normally a fan of Stealth but starting the degenerate run anywhere is just unreal)
4 Quick Jab
3+ Magic Short Sword  (If you still think this card is bad, build and test this deck, it's infuriatingly good in here)
3+ Undaunted Surge
3+ Shadowy Ambush
2+ Spring Attack
0-1 Secret Passage/Into the Fray/whatever
(This is the engine: pop the Bugbear out of Stealth in the least convenient location possible, then proceed to murder their whole team.  It's really difficult to stop because emerging from Stealth doesn't take your move, so the Bugbear can kill the nearest dude, untap, move 7, kill another dude, and only then has to start burning cards that allow moves like Shadowy Ambush or Spring Attack.)

The above deck core is 23 if you don't plus anything.  So you can add more copies of engine stuff, or put in a few of the other cards that are brutally good with the Bugbear; good choices include Vial of Poison (of all things), Feint, Uncanny Dodge, Daring Attack (40 unpreventable damage + untap, whee!) and Seize the Opportunity; I or my friend have had good success with all of these.  But it's really a brutal basic package.

Anyway, I don't think the game's fundamentally broken or anything, but if other people have played with/against similar decks, I'd love to hear what you think has a reasonable chance.  I have a heavy hitter deck that can theoretically get there, based in large part on being able to camp the bugbear deployment area with a Dragon Knight, but it still feels pretty uphill.  There are just so few things you can do to even interfere with a Bugbear kill run (Patch Up, local Dwarf Cleric, Cloud of Bats, and Seize the Opportunity sometimes do something) that you just get mathed out a whole lot of the time.
That does indeed look quite powerful....also quite expensive needing to have at least three of multiple faction boxes (or extra copies of order sets/single creatures). Since no one I've played so far around here owns three or four boxes of any faction I prefer to keep the playing field level and play them with just my two of each. More fun that way, for both sides. In my estimation anyway.
So I'm wondering, does Shadowy Ambush get +10 damage from Undaunted Surge?

I think a Skeleton warband would have a shot against Combo Bugbear builds. My friend was trying to beat me up with his but he's not as enamored of swarm tactics as I am so he would be playing, IMO, too many top heavy guys in his warband, so I could often combo him out with Bugbear Berserker on turn 2 or 3. Killing a full Dracolich because it's the only thing on the table and you have Shortsword, Undaunted Surge and two Quick Jab, and therefore winning on the "wipe whole team" victory condition.

Skellies are 50 HPs at level 2, you can make it really costly in Order cards to try and kill them off. Skeleton Lancer can drop another one directly in play so that sort of cancels out a combo rush and forces more cards being spent. You of course need a build that can go after Priestesses quickly so you don't drown in card disadvantage either, but in theory you can do something decent I believe.

Once you have a decent anti-combo build, then the Combo Bugbear will need to dial down the combo pieces to shore up the matchup (right now I draw WAY too many extra Magic Shortsword or Undaunted Surge I can't use, or even sometimes Lolth's Blessing or Schemes that I don't want because I'm getting into the late game and I need my Priestess' activations for that little bit of extra damage). At this point other bands will get a bit more of a fighting chance. Overall the combo build plays a bit too many cards that I find aren't quite as efficient as I like in order to be able to finish off a full army in one turn. This means after you have a really explosive turn, if you didn't finish off the opposition they can possibly regroup and use more efficient cards and creatures to gain back an edge.
Sign In to post comments