B/R Undying Help

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello Everyone,

I have been working on a B/R undying deck and was hoping for some suggestions on improvements (especially with Return to Ravnica just around the corner). Thanks!!

This is hard to say man, but it just isn'tgood. 
you have no dual lands
you use super-jank creatures like warlord, stalker, vengeful vamp. The list goes on and on.

plus, the whole deck pretty much scoops to Pillar of flame

Also,doomblade rotates tomorrow. 
It looks like your deck is trying to be half undying/graveyard interactions and half tribal vampire. I would remove the vampires but keep Bloodthrone Vampire as it can be used as a decent sac engine.

Personally I find green better for undying cards with Young Wolf, Strangleroot Geist and Vorapede.

In Black I would highly recommend Geralf's Messenger, despite it entering the tapped it forces your opponent to lose life.

I would add an incentive to sac your creatures. Blood Artist can be really helpful as you can sacrifice your own creatures to gain life and deal damage to your opponent. 

To take full advantage of your undying and graveyard interactions I would add a few different sacrifice engines in like Altar's Reap, Bloodthrone Vampire, Bone Splinters and Fling.

Hellhole Flailer can be really aggressive and can help push through damage via its self sacrifice ability, if you use Undying Evil to bring it back it should enter the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters if you choose to unleash it making it a more formidable beater and allowing you to sacrifice it again.

Mana-wise I would suggest adding some dual lands like Blood Crypt, Dragonskull Summit, and Rakdos Guildgate. Rakdos Keyrune can provide a decent body and help with your mana base.

Mikaeus, the Unhallowed gives all of your creatures a boost and undying (providing they're not human). If you do add Mikaeus I'd suggest only 1 or 2 copies.

I'm a fan of Deviant Glee as it's a decent pump and can grant Trample.
if you use Undying Evil to bring it back it should enter the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters if you choose to unleash it making it a more formidable beater and allowing you to sacrifice it again.

Couple things to remember,
first: undying only works if flailer didnt have +1/+1 counter to begin with, so you cant unleash it  on the first go if  you want to use undying evil on it. 

Second, if flailer has +1/+1 counter from anywhere, it can't block because of unleash. The +1/+1 counter doesn't have to be from unleash, any +1/+1 counter will make it unable to  block (like that of undying). 

It does enter the  battlefield with both +1/+1 counters in the (somewhat impropable) case of someone using undying evil on a non-unleashed flailer. 

I  agree with suggestions of young  wolf  and strangleroot geist, although I doubt its a good idea to use both vorapede and geralf's messenger in the same deck. Thats stretching the manabase too much.
"Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Proud member of the Rakdos guild

Couple things to remember,
first: undying only works if flailer didnt have +1/+1 counter to begin with, so you cant unleash it  on the first go if  you want to use undying evil on it. 

That's very true, I overlooked that point. It's still possible to make it return with Undying Evil but like you said it's unlikely unless you choose not to unleash it for some reason.

I  agree with suggestions of young  wolf  and strangleroot geist, although I doubt its a good idea to use both vorapede and geralf's messenger in the same deck. Thats stretching the manabase too much.

Agreed, when I ran both in the same deck it was a Birthing Pod deck that used Birds of Paradise  for mana fixing and acceleration, both of which unfortunately rotate tomorrow. For this deck if the OP is sticking with I would suggest Geralf's Messenger, however if going for I would suggest Vorapede and base a deck around graveyard interactions. 

Also if the deck is Corpsejack Menace would work really well with Undying creatures.

Sticking with green I've found Rancor handy in undying decks as it makes your creatures bigger and returns each time it goes to the graveyard from the battlefield allowing you to keep reusing it.
Thanks so far for the suggestions everyone. Dualy noted on the dual lands but I am not sure if I want to go unless it was just a splash (i am kinda partial to Flayer of the Hatebound + sac engine). Geralf's Messenger and Blood Artist I think would be a good fit as well. I am not sure if it would fit but I was also thinking of adding Blood Reckoning to make my opponent think twice before they attack.

I would consider adding more Flayer of the Hatebound and trying to get him out even faster, since his six mana cost is a bit of a drawback.
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

What do I see you ask? I see dead people, all of them burned to a crisp... I was bored.
Also a good idea, with the help of Infernal Plunge that should be possible.
Ok, here is my attempt to improve the deck:

Creatures

Other Spells

[Deck]
2 Bone Splinters
3 Infernal Plunge
2 Blood Reckoning
2 Altar's Reap
3 Undying Evil
2 Traveler's Amulet
2 Disentomb
[/Deck]