Fighters Defender Aura

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi ,

Just a little help here please.I keep getting conflicting answers about a Fighter (Knight)'s Defender Aura.Firstly all fighters mark so is the aura classified as a mark.It has the same effect as a mark, -2 and opp att.

I had wizards tell me that if a monster in the defenders aura   ignores this mark then they are subject to an opp att.Please clarify this for me please.

Thankyou 
Having the same effect as a mark is not the same thing as being a mark.

Defender Aura is not a mark.

Non-Knight fighters, that actually have a mark, have an Immediate Interrupt MBA against something that violates it.  Knights have an Opportunity Action MBA against something that violates their aura.  They're not the same, they don't function the same, and really no parallels should be drawn from them other than they have similar triggers.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Hi ,

Just a little help here please.I keep getting conflicting answers about a Fighter (Knight)'s Defender Aura.Firstly all fighters mark so is the aura classified as a mark.It has the same effect as a mark, -2 and opp att.

I had wizards tell me that if a monster in the defenders aura   ignores this mark then they are subject to an opp att.Please clarify this for me please.

Thankyou 

Mand12 is right: the knight's aura is not a type of mark, even though they have similar effects.  That means that things that affect marks do not affect the defender aura, and vice versa.

Also, it might be worth pointing out that the knight's punishment for violating the aura (shifting or attacking someone else while subject to the aura) is an opportunity action, not an opportunity attack.  That means that the knight's punishment is not affected by things that affect opportunity attacks, for example many fighter feats.
Conversely, though, it also means that things which avoid opportunity attacks (any number of Lurker powers, a Beholder's automatic eye rays), are still affected by the opportunity action pushment.  Beholders are probably the most hilarious casualty of aura defenders.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
If you really find the power confusing (it's a really long, very specific power that tells you everything it does and explains how it interacts with other things), I feel like saying "it's not a mark!" may confuse you even more.

If it's easier for you to understand, the defender aura is, functionally and thematically, a mark.  It doesn't benefit from any features, feats, or powers that interact with marks, but by itself it does the same things a mark does, yes.
Beholders are probably the most hilarious casualty of aura defenders.

I had that happen once.  It was pretty awful.
My Berserker (I know, I know) has been waiting for one for ages, as has my knight.  They don't come D:
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Hey, I like berserkers!
My three favorite characters have been my hunter, eldritch knight, and berserker, so I kind of feel like we're twins, TSI.
Mm, I do seem to have something of a penchant for opping the low-op classes.  I enjoy the opping process, but don't really enjoy playing very high-op mod-killer builds, so my current four active LFR characters are a Knight (the Blinker, fiddled for practical play, now at epic with a hammer build), my former Hunter, now debuff-oriented archer ranger (because the Hunter just isn't good enough past about 16th), my Berserker (resist ALL THE THINGS whilst wearing only trousers, going Dreadnought at 11), and my frostcheese Blackguard.  For the most part, I do like interesting variations on bruisers, tough, high-defence, reasonable but not exceptional damage, drawing heat.

I've never fully understood the CO mad-on against Berserkers.  Built properly, they defend basically the same as Knights, and no-one seems to hate them so much, and built as strikers they're... well, they're chargers with a bit of additional support, so not wildly fantastic, but more than able to hit the benchmarks, and still tough.
Yeah I'm not really sure either. Arid Desert can get stellar AC for the cost of one feat while wielding a massive weapon. Barbarian power selection is mediocre at best for defending purposes, but is better than power strike by leaps and bounds, and it's not like you're not going to MC fighter and power swap for a few goodies.

Especially with flailOp, it has a pretty easy time denying movement and negating attacks with its punishment, or you can go the hammer route every bit as effectively as the knight (but with a mordenkrad!). 
Especially with flailOp, it has a pretty easy time denying movement and negating attacks with its punishment, or you can go the hammer route every bit as effectively as the knight (but with a mordenkrad!). 

A hammer berserker's ability score assignments are more stretched than a knight's, to qualify for hammer feats (constitution) while also still giving AC bonuses (dexterity), right?

A hammer berserker's ability score assignments are more stretched than a knight's, to qualify for hammer feats (constitution) while also still giving AC bonuses (dexterity), right?

That's true, and a big part of why I prefer flails on berserkers.  In all probability, the low opinion of them is probably due to how hard it is to justify not dumping con on them, so they end up with high-end-striker surge numbers.

Fighters are pretty stretched with ability scores too, though - or at least pulled in multiple directions, with excellent WIS, CON, and DEX based features and feats. Knights can't benefit from most of those, so yeah, are much more STR+CON. 

That's true, and a big part of why I prefer flails on berserkers.  In all probability, the low opinion of them is probably due to how hard it is to justify not dumping con on them, so they end up with high-end-striker surge numbers.

Fighters are pretty stretched with ability scores too, though - or at least pulled in multiple directions, with excellent WIS, CON, and DEX based features and feats. Knights can't benefit from most of those, so yeah, are much more STR+CON. 

Yeah, mine is str/dex/wis, which makes picking utils awkward.  I intend to obviate the low surge number with lots and lots of resist all.
Mine did so with a belt of mountain's endurance and 3/encounter surge value in THP without spending a surge.