Staff of Nin + Cunning Lethemancer

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright.

[C]Cunning Lethemancer[/C] and [C]Staff of Nin[/C]
Staff lets me draw at beginning of my Upkeep, Lethemancer makes all players discard at beginning of my Upkeep.
Since they are all my triggers, I chose the order they activate, right?
So if I had 0 cards in hand, I'd activate Staff of Nin, than Lethemancer. I discard a card, than draw one.
Also, [C]Mindstorm Crown[/C]
Lets say I also have this one out. I have 1 card in hand.
I activate [C]Staff of Nin[/C], [C]Mindstorm Crown[/C], than the [C]Cunning Lethemancer[/C].

Which ability of Mindstorm Crown activates? When I activated it, I had one card in hand, but when it resolves I have zero. Do I draw, or take the damage?
I'm going to assume I would take the damage, as I had a card in hand at the beginning of my turn.

Thanks for the help

[C]Cunning Lethemancer[/C] and [C]Staff of Nin[/C]
Staff lets me draw at beginning of my Upkeep, Lethemancer makes all players discard at beginning of my Upkeep.
Since they are all my triggers, I chose the order they activate, right?
So if I had 0 cards in hand, I'd activate Staff of Nin, than Lethemancer. I discard a card, than draw one.

Yes, that works.
You will draw but won't discard, because you had no card in Hand.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Yes, you choose the order they go on the stack. Activating specifically means using an activated ability, so when you say activate the staff of nim, I think "tap it to deal 1 damage."

Both the lethemancer and the staff trigger at the same time, and you'll put the triggers on the stack in the order of your choice. Then they'll resolve one at a time.

Mindstorm Crown only cares about your hand size as the turn began, not what your current hand size is. See the oracle text in the autocard link you posted.
All Generalizations are Bad
Also, [C]Mindstorm Crown[/C]
Lets say I also have this one out. I have 1 card in hand.

Crown will damage you, whatever you do.

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

Take note that those are «triggered» abilities, not «activated» abilities.
You don't get to activate them; they trigger automatiquely.
You do get to place them on the Stack, in whichever order you please, since they all trigger simultaneously.  

Thanks to all! (and I'll watch for trigger/activate in the future
Thanks to all! (and I'll watch for trigger/activate in the future

Triggered ability: "At", "Whenever", etc...
Activated ability: "Cost: effect"

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

Sign In to post comments