Jhoira

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
If my opponnent has two suspended spells with their last counter being removed on the same upkeep, say from Jhoira of the Ghitu, do both spells go on the stack at the same time if they decide to cast them?

Can I counter both spells with double negative?

Thanks
No, they don't. You can't. Both suspend triggers go on the stack on the stack on the same time. Then you resolve the first one, removing the last counter and triggering the ability that lets you cast it. When that trigger resolves, you'll cast the suspended card. After that card resolves, you'll finally get to removing the last counter on the other card and casting it.
All Generalizations are Bad
Can I counter both spells with double negative?

No.

(I guess I should play a couple of Suspended cards to get the feel...)

Tax evasion is nothing but legitimate self-defense against the theft that is tax collection.

No, they will not be on the stack at the same time.

Suspend is a keyword that represents three abilities. The first is a static one that lets the player 'suspend' (put it from hand to exile) for a cost. The second is a trigger that removes a time counter each upkeep. The third is another trigger that lets the player cast the card for free when the last counter is removed.

So, at the beginning of the player's upkeep, each suspended card's 'remove a counter' ability triggers. They go to the stack in any other the player chooses.

When Spell A's remove-a-counter trigger resolves, A's cast-for-free part triggers immediately and goes to the stack. When this one resolves (as the topmost object on the stack), Spell A is cast for free. Finally, Spell A will resolve (unless you counter it).

Only later Spell B's remove-a-counter trigger will resolve, triggering Spell B's cast-for-free trigger, and so on. 

So, in short: one spell will always be cast and resolve before the other one can even have its last time counter removed. Double Negative can't counter both.

[<o>]
Bummer. Thanks
Bummer. Thanks

There are a couple spells/ability that would allow you to remove the last time counter on the other spell in reaction of the first spell being cast. It's unlikely you build a deck like this though. :P

Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir totally stops suspend though.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.

What is a situation where [C]Double Negative[/C] would be useful? If spells are cast one at a time then resolve wouldn't this happen in the same fashion, so if someone cast a [C]Fireball[/C] then cast a creature, would the double negative be able to counter it?
I am Blue/White

What is a situation where [C]Double Negative[/C] would be useful?

Most of times, Double Negative is really just a gold Cancel.

As an Alara card, it was created to counter cascade spells. Cascade triggers when the spell is cast, so both spells (Bloodbraid Elf cascating into Blightning, for example) are on the stack at the same time so you can counter both with Double Negative.

It's also good against copying spells. Opponent casts Vacuumelt replicated, you can counter two of the copies (or a copy and the original), while Cancel could counter just one (countering just the original spell doesn't counter the copies).
Storm is similar to Replicate here, but frankly countering just two storm copies won't save you must of times anyway...

If spells are cast one at a time then resolve wouldn't this happen in the same fashion, so if someone cast a [C]Fireball[/C] then cast a creature, would the double negative be able to counter it?

Most likely not. Opponent must wait until Fireball resolves before he can play a creature without flash.

[<o>]
Sign In to post comments