Goblin Electromancer and X Spells

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can the effect of a Goblin Electromancer (Instant and Sorcery spells you cast cost [1] less to cast) reduce the cost of the X in a spell?

For example, if you have a Goblin Electromancer in play, and cast Blaze, could you pay the [R], and then use the electromancer's effect to 'pay' 1 mana for the X cost, without actually spending any mana?

Also, if the answer is yes, then what about a spell like Consume Spirit, where X must be played with black mana? Can that still benefit from Goblin Electromancer's reduction?
Next time, please ask your questions in Rules Q&A. The FAQs and Reference forum is for, well, FAQ and Reference documents.
Can the effect of a Goblin Electromancer (Instant and Sorcery spells you cast cost [1] less to cast) reduce the cost of the X in a spell?

Yes.
For example, if you have a Goblin Electromancer in play, and cast Blaze, could you pay the [R], and then use the electromancer's effect to 'pay' 1 mana for the X cost, without actually spending any mana?

Yes, you can pick 1 for the value of x, and then calculate the spell's total cost to be .
Also, if the answer is yes, then what about a spell like Consume Spirit, where X must be played with black mana? Can that still benefit from Goblin Electromancer's reduction?

Yes, consume spirit can benefit.
All rules questions belong in Rules Q&A. There is even a stickied announcement saying only authorized threads belong in the FAQ forum.

Moving to Rules Q&A.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead. On Strike

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Thanks for your reply.

I apologise; I thought I had posted it in the Rules Q&A thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Dear "Rules Advisor" do you remember a card named Heartstone? has the rule changed? 
Dear "Rules Advisor" do you remember a card named Heartstone? has the rule changed? 

don't bump old threats

not sure what Heartstone has to do with anything
if you have a rules question, make a new thread
proud member of the 2011 community team

Yes, we remember Heartstone. It still works the way it used to, and Goblin Electromancer works as Cyphern says it does. We'll be glad to answer any questions you may have on this subject, or anything else about Magic. Just ask!

BTW, Cyphern IS a Rules Advisor, certified and all. The "" you used are not justified and, in fact, leaning on the verge of insulting. But perhaps you did not mean it that way?

Wizards of the Coast: outsourced to Elbonia

i have former experience with the rules advisors not following the english language. as for heartstone/goblin electromancer comparison, my thought is basically what's good for the goose is good for the gander. my inquiry is not a rules question, but an inquiry into the interpretation of the rules that differ
i have former experience with the rules advisors not following the english language. as for heartstone/goblin electromancer comparison, my thought is basically what's good for the goose is good for the gander. my inquiry is not a rules question, but an inquiry into the interpretation of the rules that differ

Interpretations of rules don't differ. If two people disagree on a rule, it means at least one of them is wrong, not that the rules are unclear. Magic's rules are strict and there is always a "correct answer" for rules questions.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

I still don't know what Heartstone has to do with anything
that is for activated abilities, not for spells
Hi,

So how does Goblin electromancer interact with spells like Streetspasm where there are three seperate X's if you do the overload. Do you get a bonus 1 colorless per X, just 1 coloress period or how does that work? Just wondering about interactions with spells with multiple X's. Thanks in advance. 
Street Spasm
you first choose X, then calculate the cost

let's say you use X=3 and choose to overload
so the alternative cost is =
you substract the Goblin Electromancer
- =
When determining what and how much to pay, you first calculate the mana cost (or alternative cost), add all additional costs, add all cost increasers, then subtract all cost decreasers. Goblin Electomancer gives you a cost decreasing effect, so you apply it last after all other calculations are done. Your spell will cost less, no matter how many X you had in the calculation.
Hi,

So how does Goblin electromancer interact with spells like Streetspasm where there are three seperate X's if you do the overload. Do you get a bonus 1 colorless per X, just 1 coloress period or how does that work? Just wondering about interactions with spells with multiple X's. Thanks in advance. 

Goblin Electromancer says your spells costs less to pay, it doesn't change the value of X, it offers a discount towards the whole cost you'll have to pay.

So to cast Street Spasm, you first choose if you're going to use the normal cost or the Overload cost, then you choose a value for X, then you calculate the total cost.
If you want a overloaded Street Spasm dealing 4 damage and you have one Goblin Electromancer out, you calculate the total cost as :Xm::Xm::R::R: - = ++:R::R: - = :R::R: and it will deal 4 damage to each creature.

[<o>]
Wait so overload costs aren't in addition to they are instead of? I understood it to be an additional cost. Thanks for the answer on electromancer though.
Overload is an alternative cost
Yes, overload is an alternative cost, you pay it instead of the mana cost.
Sign In to post comments