Deathtouch question

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just started playing Magic about a month ago and I have a question.  Sorry if it's a bad one as well, lol.  If I were to somehow give deathtouch to Izzet Staticaster, would that count toward the damage done by it's tap ability as well?  Also, if it's not too much trouble could I get a link explaining that situation as well.   Thanks in advance!
I just started playing Magic about a month ago and I have a question.  Sorry if it's a bad one as well, lol.  If I were to somehow give deathtouch to Izzet Staticaster, would that count toward the damage done by it's tap ability as well?  Also, if it's not too much trouble could I get a link explaining that situation as well.   Thanks in advance!

Yes. The damage resulted from Izzet Staticaster tap ability would have deathtouch as well.
Any time a source with Deathtouch deals damage to a creature, that creature is destroyed (barring things like regeneration and indestructibility). It doesn't matter whether it's combat damage or not - any time that creature is the source of the damage, including Izzet Staticaster's ability, Deathtouch works.

The relevant rule is as follows, note the lack of any mention of combat damage:

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that’s been dealt damage by a source with
deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based
action. See rule 704.

(The rule immediately before this one does specifically mention combat damage, but that's because it's dealing with the definition of "lethal damage" for the purposes of Trample, something that only matters with combat damage.)
Jeff Heikkinen DCI Rules Advisor since Dec 25, 2011
Yes it does. Deathtouch works off of any damage the creature would deal, not just combat damage. So using the Staticaster's ability would cause each creature damaged by that ability to be destroyed.

702.2c A creature with toughness greater than 0 that's been dealt damage by a source with deathtouch since the last time state-based actions were checked is destroyed as a state-based action. See rule 704.

Wizards.Com Boards Net Rep

DCI Level 2 Judge

Questions don't have to make sense, but answers do.

Cool, thanks a lot everyone.