Comet Storm vs. Rolling Thunder

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
As per thread title.
Comet Storm
Rolling Thunder

Storm is instant, easier to split and requires less mana to throw a lot of damage around.
Thunder is better for throwing the remaining damage at an opponent's face with.
Thoughts?
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
Comet Storm is how Fireball wanted to be written.

If you're going for killing a lot of small creatures, Thunder would do it.  If you need to kill just a few not-so-small creatures, Comet Storm.  I would say more often than not it's the second option, even if it wasn't instant vs sorcery.
Comet Storm is as effecient or more effecient than Rolling Thunder in any situation I can think of.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Rolling Thunder can be better for killing multiple creatures of different sizes.  Say you need to kill one thing with 5 toughness and three things with 1 toughness, that's 10 mana from Thunder but 11 mana from Comet Storm (both those are unreasonable, but you get the point).  But that kind of situation comes up rarely enough that I would still take the instant.
Rolling Thunder can be better for killing multiple creatures of different sizes.  Say you need to kill one thing with 5 toughness and three things with 1 toughness, that's 10 mana from Thunder but 11 mana from Comet Storm (both those are unreasonable, but you get the point).  But that kind of situation comes up rarely enough that I would still take the instant.

Comet Storm is strictly better barring interactions with Dispel which is actually kinda relevant and that spell that nobody cares about.

To deal with every creature that you want to deal with using Comet Storm you have to pay x + y - 1 where x is the greatest toughness of a creature you want to deal damage to and y is the number of creatures or players you'd like to deal damage to. For Rolling Thunder that equation is x + x2 + x3... where all variables must be at least 1. With Comet Storm the most you'd ever have to pay is x + 1 + 1..., so at worst it is equal.

Nope, it is both 10 (you don't need to pay extra for the first target).
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Comet Storm is as effecient or more effecient than Rolling Thunder in any situation I can think of.

This.

As much as I like Rolling Thunder, Comet Storm is hands down better.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Storm, by far. Basically Storm is as mentioned how Fireball should be written. (Its current form is mechanically inelegant. I have never split a Fireball.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I've split Fireballs before.  I prefer Comet Storm for this.

That said, as I rarely buy online or trade outside of my smallish, low resource group, Rolling Thunder is the best for me.

Given playsets of each card, however, I would probably run 3 and 3 or 4 CS and 2 RT - I acknowledge that CS is better in most situations I face (FFA, kind of slow meta).

Cheers!
A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
It's weird. I haven't split one, and haven't seen one split. Go figure. I know what they're trying to do, but they go about it in the least elegant way possible.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments