Flickering Fancies

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do you think they might make something like this, ever?

Time Snap -- :UM::UM:
Instant (U)

Exile target spell, then that spells controller may cast it without paying it's mana cost.

===xxx===

The concept is that it can "rework" the stack.
For instance, if someone wipes the board:

You can cast something with flash and the stack looks like this

Critter
Boardwipe

Then you cast this spell, and it forces the boardwipe to resolve first now...

This
Critter
Boardwipe

BUT when it resolves it resolves like this

This
Boardwipe
Critter

so the creature sticks...

As written this also happens to hose X spells (I think. Am I right?)

Should I simply have it be a forced cast... or should I leave it as a may ability?

Oh and other thoughts critiques the whole shebang!
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
In addition to hosing X spells, it forces the player to repay additional costs.

I kind of don't like this effect in blue.  Yeah, blue gets to mess with the stack a lot, but I feel like it's white or red, tbh.
I kind of don't like this effect in blue.  Yeah, blue gets to mess with the stack a lot, but I feel like it's white or red, tbh.

Well, I think it fits blue if it keeps the "may". If it forced a cast, then it would be red. But even then, if the spell has additional costs, the controller wouldn't have to cast the spell...I think...If you don't have to pay 2 life for a "forced attack" with a Norn's Annex on the battlefield, you shouldn't have to sacrifice a creature for a forced cast (which would leave the spell in exile).

Rules Advisor from 8-26-09 to 1-31-14, reinstated (reactivated?) on 9-24-14 (been seeing more FNM, prerelease, and release events as of late)
Joined the crowd and got an Avatar from zammm's Avatar Workshop on 5-6-2012

Khans of Tarkir Clan Quiz
After three iterations of taking the quiz, it says each time that I'm Temur, the clan. Which is funny because the dual-color tests still yield the same two results as before.

That "Dual Colors" personality test thing
IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20806.jpg)

I am Black/Green

Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!

Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.

Oh, but wait, there were multiple answers that fit my thoughts to some questions. What colors did they say I was?

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20801.jpg)

I am Blue/Green

I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.

i think this is niche enough to cantrip and maybe cost 1
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.
i think this is niche enough to cantrip and maybe cost 1

I can agree with the cantrip, but I think the ability to exile X spells, and additional cost spells is too much for a one drop.
I would feel comfortable dropping it to :UM: though.

Time Snap -- :UM:
Instant (U)

Exile target spell, then that spells controller may cast it without paying it's mana cost.
Draw a card.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Semi-Unrelated, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this card.
I know Sylvan Scrying and Expedition Map touches on this effect... but we have yet to see something so close to Murder for green. How's this?

Awaken the Horizon -- :GM::GM:
Sorcery (C)

Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

"Whenever I scan the horizon, it makes me dream of the adventure ahead. In the end, I don't know which was real; the dreams, or the journey..."
-Munassa, Elvish Farguide-

===xxx===

As much as I want it to be simply :GM::GM:, I don't feel I could pull it off at common. Do you think this too could be a spell they might print someday? I mean black finally got Murder. I feel it's time (well, come 'Sinker' at least) green got the tell all land fetcher...
Also, having it be 3 cmc discomforts me, would making it an instant be too much of a power-level push?

In short, :GM::GM: is to small for common. But I feel :GM::GM: is too much for what it does (slightly). Could I make it an instant and keep it :GM::GM:?

Also, better name?
I feel Farseek would work great with this...
Dreamly Horizons
Dream the Horizon
Distant Dreams
Going the Distance
Awaken the Horizon (OOH, I like that!)
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
You know, is between and .
I think he wants to keep the 1CC cost from Murder, though.
Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see.

I was thinking about that... but I feel it might still be too good. I dunno.
Searching for basic lands is :GM: at sorcery speed.
Searching for any land is :GM: if you sacrifice a land.
Searching for any land is if you have an artifact (but it goes into your hand.)

I know cmc 3 (for common at least) is right, but I feel :GM: gives it too much flexibility.
I think maybe :GM::GM: could work like this?

Awaken the Horizon -- :GM::GM:
Sorcery (C)

Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
You gain 1 life for each land that entered the battlefield this turn.

"Whenever I scan the horizon, it makes me dream of the adventure ahead. In the end, I don't know which was real; the dreams, or the journey..."
-Monassa, Elvish Farguide-
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:

I know cmc 3 (for common at least) is right, but I feel :GM: gives it too much flexibility.

Sorcery (C)

this is moving pretty far away from the Murder comparison though
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

Sorcery (C)

this is moving pretty far away from the Murder comparison though

You're right, and that, overall, was the heart of this card.

I'll keep it as this:

Sorcery (C)

So now we have a cycle (kinda)!

White = Angel's Mercy
Blue = Boomerang
Black = Murder
Red = Fiery Rage
Green = Awaken the Horizon

We're missing red... so here it is!

Fiery Rage -- :RM::RM:
Sorcery (C)

Fiery Rage deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

===xxx===

Now we have a cycle of cards that do simple effects with a mana cost that includes double color, at common. If I had to rate them, I'd say strongest to weakest would be...

Murder
Fiery Rage
Boomerang
Awaken the Horizon
Angel's Mercy

What do you guys think?
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I don't think you should step on Lava Axe's toes...  That guy's angry enough as is...

Maybe just letting it hit creatures puts it as a nice parallel to murder or Flame Slash.

I just searched "deals 5 damage to target creature" on the gatherer.   The simplest thing without additional costs, bells, or whistles was Explosive Impact, surprisingly.  So I suppose if you kept it in line with impact, it could be as low as , but that would still make lava axe sad.  In the end, this just shows how tricky burn design space is.

Also,  wood elves is able to put any forest onto the battlefield untapped.  I don't know what this could mean for awaken the horizon, but it's an interesting thought.

Even when the last tree falls, there will be fire.

I don't think you should step on Lava Axe's toes...  That guy's angry enough as is...

Maybe just letting it hit creatures puts it as a nice parallel to murder or Flame Slash.

I just searched "deals 5 damage to target creature" on the gatherer.   The simplest thing without additional costs, bells, or whistles was Explosive Impact, surprisingly.  So I suppose if you kept it in line with impact, it could be as low as , but that would still make lava axe sad.  In the end, this just shows how tricky burn design space is.

Also,  wood elves is able to put any forest onto the battlefield untapped.  I don't know what this could mean for awaken the horizon, but it's an interesting thought.

I don't think it's that out of whack I was comparing it to Brimstone Volley. That is an instant, and is 3 or 5 depending. I don't want it to be just creatures, or just players. I'm thinking :RM::RM: should be okay.

And any forest is hardly comprable to any land.
Gatherer search Forest, in a typeline and you get 13 results.
Gatherer search Land in a typeline and you get 465 results.

Forests is good, Land is better.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
Now, I just noticed, that each of those printed cards are at instant speed.
Now that I notice that, I wish to make my additions to it instant speed as well.
Fiery Rage I'm not all too worried about, but is instant any land searching too good for common? Keep in mind that the requirements are as simple as possible, and as powerful as possible. For example:
Murder is simple as in it destroys a creature. It's powerful as in it destroys any creature. Compare to Doom Blade, Go For the Throat, dare I say, Terror.
Outdated:

Instant (C)

FLAVOR...

Another notice, tapped goes against my simple rule. Tapped has to go (it's a word the text box could do without). Now I feel comfortable making it :GM::GM: as an instant like this:

Instant (C)

Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

===xxx===

Now I think I'm done (again)...
The Cycle:

Angel's Mercy

<strong>Angel's Mercy</strong> -- :WM::WM:
Instant (C)

You gain 7 life.

Flavor.

Boomerang

<strong>Boomerang</strong> -- :UM::UM:
Instant (C)

Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Flavor.

Murder

<strong>Murder</strong> -- :BM::BM:
Instant (C)

Destroy target creature.

Flavor.

Fiery Rage

Fiery Rage -- :RM::RM:
Instant (C)

Fiery Rage deals 5 damage to target creature or player.

Flavor.

Awaken the Horizon

Instant (C)

Search your library for a land card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.

I'll work on my own flavor text for each.

Now, what do you think?
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
What about taking TYPE-cycling to a whole new level?

Rapid Deployment -- :RM:
Instant (C)

Creatures you control gain haste until end of turn.
Hastecycling - :RM::RM: (:RM::RM:, Discard this card: Search your library for a creature card with haste, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
What a great idea, but I don't think your utilizing it to its full potential.

Built for Two

Instant
Draw a card.
Cyclecycling -

Then once we print that:

Within the Limit
Instant
Discard a card, and then draw 2 cards.
Cyclecyclingcycling -

Hooray!

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
What a great idea, but I don't think your utilizing it to its full potential.

Built for Two

Instant
Draw a card.
Cyclecycling -

Then once we print that:

Within the Limit
Instant
Discard a card, and then draw 2 cards.
Cyclecyclingcycling -

Hooray!

I was thinking more along the lines of, Evergreen cycling... not not evergreen cycling.
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote: