Izzet Deck Wins

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alright, this is the deck I've been working on and testing for a little while. I'm pretty happy with it but i'd like to get a few more voices on it.

Essentially it's Izzet in a more red/Sligh style. The synergy here is Blistercoil Weird/Nivmagus Elemental/Guttersnipe, whenever I use removal to let my creatures through I also get rewarded with more damage.

A nice thing I've noticed about this deck as I've played it is it can swing from aggro to control quickly and effectively.

I've tacked a * onto cards that are proxied in this deck. Everything else I have copies on, so that's fun.

3 Izzet Guildgates
3 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
2 Hellion Crucible
5 Mountains
4 Islands
-------------------
21 Lands

4 Blistercoil Weird
2 Nivmagus Elemental
2 Stromkirk Noble*
3 Goblin Electromancer
3 Lightning Mauler*
3 Guttersnipe
2 Izzet Staticaster
2 Stealer of Secrets
2 Thundermaw Hellkite
------------------
22 Creatures

4 Pillar of Flame
3 Izzet Charm
3 Think Twice
3 Mizzium Mortars
1 Counterflux
2 Talrand's Invocation
------------------
16 Other Spells

Obviously the first complaint will be 1 more Steam Vent, and I know, I was lucky enough to get 3 without paying up, I'll get my 4th and replace one of the guildgates.

The specific questions I have are I should probably capitalize on bounce (Unsummon/Cyclonic Rift*), how much and what should I replace?

I've been considering Charmbreaker Devils* as a finisher instead of Thundermaw, and then I'd put the Hellkites in the sideboard against flyers/lingering souls. Are devils more main-deckable?

Then there's the question of wasted slots.

And should I run Talrand?

Moving on, I'm really bad at sideboarding. This is the weird one I have. Help with the sideboard would be amazing.

2 Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius
2 Blasphemous Act
2 Vandalblast
3 Electrickery
2 Unsummon
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Rewind
-------------------------
15 Sideboard

Thank you for your help.
I think the charmbreaker devils is a good card. Maybe run one of that one and only takeout oneof the thundermaws. I would personally if your trying to maximise the instants and sorceries take outthe staticcaster and put the electotrickery into the main deck. (They work really well overloading it with a goblin electromancer in play.) this also has the benifit of pumping or allowing you to pump your weird elementals. and lets the gutersnipe well snipe more.
I played a game recently with mercurial chemister, in a three way game. I was brought down to 5 health against the other two who both had around 27-34 health. one had a 12/12 creature.i was able to draw three cards each turn and got two annihilating fires, and a fling. I ended up casting both those spells, then casting a teleportal, and finaly casting fling on my blistercoil weird. Those spells pumped it up to a 6/5 which was enough to take out that huge creature. So his draw ability is a really good one, and if you have some high mana cost cards he can be really good at creature removal, also useful if those cards have flashback.
I am also bad at side boarding, not the ok these are good to go in for these instances, but for the ok what card should these cards replace.
sorry i will be back later after looking up how to link cards.
so its been pointed out that adding snapcaster mage to decks is something far too many people do on these forums.......

the being said, i want more snapcaster mage here. 

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

Talrand would be a really big bomb in this deck.
Photobucket

Snapcaster Mage is godly in this deck.

There's a circuit of cards and combinations you're missing. Delver of Secrets is still great. Yeah, Ponder may be gone, but we still have Index. While Index may seem lackluster alone, with Delver it's great. Even without Delver, it can dig you up a Bonfire of the Damned (plz ply moar). If you don't even want Bonfire, then you pitch it to Nivmagus. On the topic of unwanted Bonfires, they can also be pitched to Nivmagus for . If you have land/land in the Index, you can use (an also missing) Thought Scour to clear your topdecks.

Stromkirk Noble is good, but he seems like a wasted slot. Likewise with Lightning Mauler.

Izzet Staticcaster is just outright bad on the basis that it doesn't hit players.

You're honestly not running enough instants and sorceries to make either Guttersnipe or the Electromancer worthwhile. And, honestly, you probably don't need either. Guttersnipe is slow. Electromancer isn't really necessary since you have a lot of spells that don't use colorless, and the few you do don't really mind having to.

Stealer of Secrets is 3cc and isn't getting through without evasion.

1x Counterflux is worthless. So is Counterflux. Dispel, on the other hand, can hit most of what you need to, is very cheap, and can be efficiently pitched to Nivmagus in a pinch. All in all, you really don't need counterspells in the mainboard. 2xDispel if anything. Syncopate is also a waste of mana. You don't want to be having to hold mana open for counters. You want to drop what you can on your turn and beat.

Talrand's Invocation?

Where's the Runechanter's Pike?

Charmbreaker Devils is 6cc and does not inherrently or immediately win you the game. ie: Charmbreaker Devils is bad.

Getting as many Ash Zealot, Electrickery, and Dispel in your sideboard should be Plan A. In that order. If you're not playing them mainboard instead.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO

Ponder may be gone, but we still have Index.

FAIL!!!!!!!

Blue is the best color ever. How do you deal?  ------------------------------  Team GFG - "gulf, foxtrot, gulf" 

I produce Dubstep and House beats:

https://soundcloud.com/burning_forest

Best Pauper Deck in the format, not close:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/2974646#comment-49713276

Photobucket

****, no, Index is terrible. You can run Delver without playing jank cards.

Did you read why I said "Index" or just that I said "Index"? Index alone is a terrible card. I will wholeheartedly support that. However, there are a host of cards that all benefit greatly from Index. It's not the best, but Index is in the available cardpool. For relevant comparison... M10 lands are bad. They're really only half a step up from the Gates. But they aren't unplayable simply because Dual Lands exist. Both Index and the M10s are in the available cardpool, and both fulfill a need that isn't otherwise able to be satisfied.

lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:
Index is not worth a card, and costs a card. All it does is let you stack Delver to flip... One turn later.

Your comparison with the lands fails because you can run one dual without detrimenting the other dual, and because they're lands and therefore don't cost you cards or deck slots.
Index is not worth a card, and costs a card. All it does is let you stack Delver to flip... One turn later.

One turn is two damage more. Index becomes Shock to the face.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
58280978 wrote:

One turn is two damage more. Index becomes Shock to the face.

Index only works if you dont hit a bunch of land and creatures which is a serious possiblity for this deck. Ponder atleast allowed you to shuffle if you got F#%$ed and couldnt stack for the flip. That was ponders major upside, index trades that well damn i guess i am just gonna shuffle and fix this moment for i am gonna dig to deeper and pray i dont get screwed. oh and lets not even get started on all the first and second turn fliers that trade with delver...
Izzet Deck Wins looks like it wants to win on the back of a few creatures supported by lots of tempo plays. I'm going to NOT piss off Niche and actually post my version of the same concept in this thread so we can have an actually discussion. My deck would most likely benefit from increasing the curve, but I wanted to start here and see what happened.

PS - My deck is pretty bad. I considered splashing black for Tragic Slip, Bump in the Night and Deathrite Shaman, but not certain that's worth it. For now, I'll keep it Izzet, as that is the thread title. it's a damn shame we dont have lavamancer anymore.

"Curves are for Roads"

Thought Scour and Looting help me get to the gold and filter out unneeded lands. Dispel and Mizzium Skin both protect my creatures from instant speed removal, which is the biggest threat to this deck winning (outside of the terrible card choices). Dynacharge can be a mini-giant growth, or combo with an overloaded blustersquall to get in a lot of damage with the team. Flashback spells can be cast normally, then fed to the elemental later in the game if needed.

There are obvious arguments for including 2+ cmc spells like Mizzium Mortars or think twice, but I wanted to keep it all 1 cmc to maximize blistercoil/nivmagus activations. This also lets me run a criminally low 18 lands.
So I was browsing this forum and I saw this thread. Intrigued, I clicked on it and found out it was mine. I have no idea how this got bumped up.

So anywho, I'm not working on this deck anymore, but it might be fun to revist it.

Old me didn't realize I should be spending most of the creature base on instant/sorcery tech and decided instead to run cards like my favorite card in RtR Izzet Staticaster even though she's only good against that one deck at FNM that still runs mana dorks for some reason. Essentially I should pitch a bunch of creatures in favor of token generators like more Talrand's Invocation and maybe Krenko's Command, but probably not. A lot of creatures need to be cut. Look at 15-18 at the most.

I have weird x1's like Counterflux (awful card in standard sadly), and am doing silly things like only running x3 Izzet Charm. Charm is the only counterspell I'll need.

Agressive decks don't need cards so much. Think Twice is fun, but out.

Run that Delver of Secrets.

Apparently I wrote this before I got my fourth Steam Vents that needs to go in, guildgates can come out.

As many people are saying, me, Snapcaster Mage is a house in this deck. I know you don't want to afford it but the recursion and flexibility are worth it.

Runechanter's Pike is a strong late game plan. Run 2-3.

Mizzium Skin is weird also important for protecting whatever creature you have on the field. And Artful Dodge sneaks Blistercoil through and casts multiple times for more tech shenanigans.

Anyway, I took the time to write a new list, me. Pay attention, you might learn something.

4 Delver of Secrets
4 Blistercoil Weird
4 Snapcaster Mage
3 Guttersnipe
------------------------------------
17 Creatures

3 Runechanter's Pike
------------------------------------
3 Artifacts

4 Pillar of Flame
4 Izzet Charm
4 Talrand's Invocation
3 Mizzium Skin
3 Cyclonic Rift
2 Artful Dodge
-----------------------------------
20 Other Spells

4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
8 Island
4 Mountain
----------------------------------
20 Lands

Commenting on my own decks is fun.

On a serious note, that means I have about a 1/3 chance of flipping Delver each turn. Not ideal, but not bad.

Also, Index is a bad card.
@Unfortunately: You only list 15 creatures but you total them to 17. Your deck is missing 2 cards.

I'm running a similar list (filling the two missing slots with lands for the moment) and am planning to trot it out at FNM this week. I went slightly more burn heavy because I'm a red mage at heart But hopefully it'll still do well. It does fine in playtests but I don't know the meta in my area.

[C]Blistercoil Weird[/C], IMO, is an aweful card, and belongs in no deck, ever.  He can participate in neat combat tricks, but you need to kill card advantage to pump him up, which is a big part of playing blue, and all that does is give him a tiny temporary boost.  Even if you do boost him, he's still blockable.  His untap ability is also crap because he'd only really fit in an aggro deck, and his mechanics require the game to be short.  Why would you block with him?

That said, [C]Augur of Bolas[/C] seems like an obvious 4x for me, to make sure that if you were goofy enough to play the weird you'd at least have the spells to make him work.  [C]Guttersnipe[/C] doesn't fit in this deck at all.  He's too slow. [C]Cyclonic Rift[/C] is no good either.  This needs to be mostly a burn deck or you'll be finished in no time.  4x [C]Searing Spear[/C] IMO, and hope that you can finish the game out by turn 4-5. 
Sign In to post comments