Help me make this: Defiant Overload

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last night I began disassembling my Wild Defiance infect deck when I realized something. Wild Defiance combos well with Izzet's overload mechanic.
I'm envisioning a RUG deck that uses overloads all of it's creatures with a pump spell the turn after Defiance comes out with maybe a splash of saboteur effects. Alternatively I could play the slow game and build up a token army so overload hits more creatures but I doubt I could pull it off without splashing white.
My biggest concern is the mana base. Too many colors will do more than just slow down the tempo. The best color fixing/ramp in Ravnica is all based around defenders and I want to attack with these guys eventually.
Finding my Wild Derfiance and keeping the board stocked are also concerns.

Basically I need help making this crazy idea of mine work.
Any suggestions?
Last night I began disassembling my Wild Defiance infect deck when I realized something. Wild Defiance combos well with Izzet's overload mechanic.
I'm envisioning a RUG deck that uses overloads all of it's creatures with a pump spell the turn after Defiance comes out with maybe a splash of saboteur effects. Alternatively I could play the slow game and build up a token army so overload hits more creatures but I doubt I could pull it off without splashing white.
My biggest concern is the mana base. Too many colors will do more than just slow down the tempo. The best color fixing/ramp in Ravnica is all based around defenders and I want to attack with these guys eventually.
Finding my Wild Derfiance and keeping the board stocked are also concerns.

Basically I need help making this crazy idea of mine work.
Any suggestions?

Take note that overload does not combo with Wild Defiance.

_Magic: The Gathering_ Comprehensive Rules

These rules are effective as of October 1, 2012.

702.94a Overload is a keyword that represents two static abilities: one that functions from any zone in which the spell with overload can be cast and another that functions while the card is on the stack. Overload [cost] means "You may choose to pay [cost] rather than pay this spell's mana cost" and "If you chose to pay this spell's overload cost, change its text by replacing all instances of the word 'target' with the word 'each.'" Using the overload ability follows the rules for paying alternative costs in rules 601.2b and 601.2e-g.

If you overload Dynacharge then it no longer says "Target creature you control gets +2/+0 until end of turn." but "Each creature you control gets +2/+0 until end of turn."

An overloaded Dynacharge does not target anything.  Wild Defiance does not trigger.

You probably want something like Radiate, Ink-Treader Nephilim, Precursor Golem or the Radiance mechanic.

Gatherer search for Radiance

Oh dang.
Well at least I (really you) caught my mistake early before I showed up at an FNM or something.

Here I was figuring mizzium skin would've given all my tokens +3/+4 and hexproof for a measly :U:.
For real fun, Precursor Golem and (since we're now in Modern-land) Aggressive Urge: At least an Ancestral Recall plus Titanic Growth (since you're already playing Wild Defiance) on all your golems. Throw the Urge on an Isochron Scepter to do it over and over.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Sign In to post comments