help getting started

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
hello, a friend and I have recently decided to start playing magic, and we're currently trying to build two decks.
right now, we don't care about banlists, blocks, or any such things. all we want is to build two functional(not necessarily tournament-level) decks so we can duel and start learning the basics.

i would like some help in building our decks. my friend wants a deck of red or green (but mono color) werewolves, and i would like a black vampire deck so we can be all cliche'. i'd like to build the decks as cheap as possible, the decks dont have to be good, just functional.

if anyone could show me a list or skeleton for one or both of those deck types, i'd greatly appreciate it. i've seen some pre-built decks on ebay going for $20-$30, but i don't know if they're worth the price or not, and i'd like to keep the decks as even as possible, even if that means refraining from using better cards. if one deck is better than the other by too much, it would not be fun.

thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Play around with gatherer.wizards.com

That lets you search by color, creature type, etc.

~ Tim   
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)
One thing you might want to consider is buying preconstructed decks (I think they call them event decks now). Each set has a couple of precons, and stores usually sell individual ones separately (like the Duel Decks). For considerably less money than it would take to build a deck yourself, you get a deck that already has a theme and a way to win.

There are a number of fansites that also have huge databases of decklists. Try googling for some of those.

Rules Advisor

Please autocard: [c]Shard Phoenix[/c] = Shard Phoenix.

Event Decks generally cost about the same as the singles in them would cost
Duel Decks have powerful cards in them that can be more expensive than the whole deck, because they are reprints of old cards, if the store doesn't price it up ;)

Intro Decks are badly build with bad cards, but at least you got a theme

if you start with a friend Duel Decks are the way to go
they are great fun to play against each other

if you want to build it yourself try asking in Casual Decks below, you reach more skilled deck builders that way
proud member of the 2011 community team
I love the duel decks. They are generally fun and balanced against each other so great for playing against friends. In addition the power level is really good if you're not planning to go to any tournaments. I just did a search in the casual forums and found this mono black vampires deck. Honestly, I think it could get quite a bit better but it's a pretty decent shell. Some upgrades could include vampire nocturnus. I would remove the non-vampire creatures from the deck and if you've got the cash maybe include sorin markov or some other planeswalker. guul draz vampire is another possibility or bloodghast or vampire hexmage.

I haven't done a good search but it will be difficult to balance a werewolves deck against a strong vampire decklist as werewolves aren't prevalent throughtout MtG. So you would have a decision to either make your deck less powerful to match his decklist or choose a different tribe. Still there may be something out there if he searches around. Maybe he would be ok playing a couple of werewolves (like huntmaster of the fells).
Don't be too smart to have fun
Sign In to post comments