10/4/2012 PR: "Selesnya Maverick"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Perilous Research, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I saw "Standard 4-0 Deck, Magic Online" in Pauper,
that must be a mistake
Legacy is gaining momentum on Magic Online

Really?  News to me, last I checked the legacy fans were whining that Legacy is dying on Magic Online...  which makes sense, 400 bucks for Force of Wills is a pretty big investment.

The combo doesn't even require much storm. For example, let's say you have four lands in play and your opponent is tapped out with no available blockers—"Seething Song, Empty the Warrens, Goblin Bushwhacker, good game!"

Am I missing something?  For sure that's a pretty nasty threat, but that sounds like 10 damage to me - 4 goblin tokens from Warrens, 1 Bushwhacker, 10 power incoming.  (Not bad since you'll still have 5 goblin tokens to threaten to randomly win with of course.)
I stumbled over the low storm count-"combo" too. That sounds REALLY optimistic. If he really ment 10 power plus 5 damage twice in the comming turns, then that seems unreliable. There are a pletora of 1-damage sweepers available in pauper.

Also it's weird how he just says "with 4 lands out". The deck runs 13 lands, but 8 of the them are depletion-lands which provide 2 mana instead of one. Maybe he was simplifying?

The "low storm big damage turn" with bushwacker also seems like a miscount to me. It's not a win out of nowhere unless you actually get that storm count up high.

Also, Mystical Teachings can't fetch Yamabushi's Storm.