Worldspine Wurm and Undying

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
If I were to have both Worldspine Wurm and Mikaeus, the Unhallowed out on field would I be correct in thinking that the fact the Wurm has to hit GY for it to return undying would be interrupted and ignored and instead the Wurm is shuffled back to library?
you control both triggers, so you can decide if he returns to the battlefield or is shuffled into the library
proud member of the 2011 community team
Very interesting. My undying flayer/fling deck is going to get a lot more interesting....
do note that if you decide to bring it back with Undying the library will not be shuffled
If it was a replacement effect rather than a triggered ability (e.g. [C]Progenitus[/C]), the answer would be different. It would get shuffled in because Undying never triggers, because it never goes to the graveyard.

I know. I don't want him for the shuffle. It's more the undying and fling I want. People will most likely try to exile him, so in response fling him, comes back with undying. I get all the lovely tokens. He dies a second time and yet more tokens. I'm considering jarad's orders, searching him and something cheap, keeping the cheap and throwing the Wurm in the GY, unburial with a flayer on field. I also run gisela. It's a fun deck
Unburial Rites will not work on him because it is a sorcery
What do you mean?
Worldspine Wurm will not stay in the graveyard long enough for you to cast Unburial Rites (unless you are able to cast it in response to its triggers, with Leyline of Anticipation for example)
Oh no you misunderstand my order of play. If he goes to the graveyard in a more permanent fashion after second death after undying for example then ill pull him out yet again using unburial. The idea is for him to hit the graveyard and be unburial-ed. never hard cast. It's far too expensive for that. But getting two uses out of him by giving him undying.
The Wurm will be shuffled into the library when he is put into the graveyard from anywhere, not just from the battlefield. In order to reanimate him, your reanimation spell has to be an instant. A sorcery will be too late as the Wurm's trigger has to resolve before you can cast it.

(And in case you're speculating on Unburial Rites' flashback, it only lets you cast the spell from the yard, but it doesn't change that it is a sorcery and thus can only be cast when it's your turn, the stack is empty, and you have priority)
Wait no ignore me I'm an idiot
Oh no you misunderstand my order of play. If he goes to the graveyard in a more permanent fashion after second death after undying for example then ill pull him out yet again using unburial. The idea is for him to hit the graveyard and be unburial-ed. never hard cast. It's far too expensive for that. But getting two uses out of him by giving him undying.

as I said, that does not work
he will not stay in the graveyard "in a more permanent fashion", unless you do something about its trigger, Stifle for example
Yeah you ninjad me rezzahan I just realised its a from anywhere. Damn, that puts a kink in my plans. My deck is an undying self mill. I throw the majority of my deck into the GY then pull out a couple of flayers, gisela, and some random high power low toughness creatures for lots of direct damage. The from anywhere does spoil my idea slightly....
that's the point of the ability, to make it harder to reanimate
So I'd have to throw a hypersonic dragon into the mix for instant speed sorceries but building that combo I think may take far too long. I guess I'll put him in my elf mana ramp deck where I actually have a chance to play him from hand haha
So I'd have to throw a hypersonic dragon into the mix for instant speed sorceries but building that combo I think may take far too long. I guess I'll put him in my elf mana ramp deck where I actually have a chance to play him from hand haha

If your deck is not standard, you could use Makeshift Mannequin. The sacrifice part may be bad but it'll negate any exile effect your opponnents would throw at him.

Rules Advisor

The Basic rulebook, read it! A lot of basic questions are answered there!

How to autocard :
Type [c]Black Lotus[/c] to get Black Lotus.
Type [c=Black Lotus]The Overpowered One[/c] to get The Overpowered One.