I feel cheated

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I was playing an AVR sealed event last night and the opponent in the first match and first game was playing really really slow. I ended up winning the first game of the match and he ended up winning the second. Going into the third game of the match the time on my clock showed near 6 minutes while his time showed less than 3 minutes and yet I ended up losing the game due to being out of time. Can someone please explain to me how this can happen? Did I experience some sort of wierd bug or did the opponent some how cheat?

P.S. I was actually leading in life total when the game ended in time out and me losing. 
Your clock is a resource, just like you library and life total. Clock management is also am item that many players overlook when playing. It doesn't matter what the life totals are, if you run out of time before the game ends, you lose. Plain & simple. It sucks, I know, but there it is.

I do not wish to participate in this Community Site.

I understand and I was using keyboard shortcuts like F2 to play as quick as possible and make my decisions quickly so I am unsure how I suddenly lost nearly six minutes before he used up his less than 3 minutes.
I understand and I was using keyboard shortcuts like F2 to play as quick as possible and make my decisions quickly so I am unsure how I suddenly lost nearly six minutes before he used up his less than 3 minutes.

It's possible he was passing priority back to you extremely quickly. And if you take five or six seconds to pass it back that can add up. 

Guess what? Chicken butt.

Did you actually run out of time, or did the opponent appear to be the one to time out on your screen (before it told you you lost)?  There used to be a bug for those on lower quality connections, with which you'd occasionally get out of sync or something and see the opponent's clock running indefinitely on your screen when in fact to the server you were the one with clock running.  I thought this may have been fixed at some point as I haven't experienced it in a long while, but not sure.  If you simply lost track and used all of your time you are out of luck - but if you feel that it was a bug such as described above you can file for reimbursement.
I have won a game on time from a position of being behind on the clock because when it came to crunch time I started holding down F6. It's possible your opponent was doing something similar.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

There was a bug not long ago that showed priority on your opponent when it would really be on yourself. Haven't come across it in a while, but wouldn't be surprised if this were the case. File for a refund.
Did you actually run out of time, or did the opponent appear to be the one to time out on your screen (before it told you you lost)?

That's what I was wondering as well. Did you simply lose track of time, or do you believe the game incorrectly told you that you had run out before your opponent did?

If it's the latter, I'd also suggest filing a Customer Service report. At the least, they'll be able to determine what actually occurred.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

I have filed for a refund. I do believe that the game led me to believe that I had more time than I actually did.
Is the game actually recorded? That should show you pretty clearly.
I highly recommend F8.

Just because you started the 3rd game with more time than your opponent doesn't mean that they didn't realize that and play ultra quick. I'll massively sideboard in such situations because I know that all I need to do is stay above 20 life for however much time is left on my opponent's clock. I don't need to worry about doing them any damage. Cards that require just an opponent's action every upkeep are great for this (MVW block has some great ones for control Blue/White decks).

Like it or not, Wizards made the clock an alternate win condition.
I put winning or losing to time in the same bracket as mana screw.
We all hate it when we lose to it, but are secretly glad when it gives us a win in an overwise unwinnable match.
That and it is overal a good thing for the game and would cause more problems if you got rid of it.

I find good time management during the first and second games to give me more match wins than I deserve.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

While we all dislike losing to time, it's a necessary part of online play.  I can't even imagine how online tournaments could be run without a clock...

When both players are under 7 minutes going into game 3, your strategy really needs to change to account for the clock, including abandoning strategies that require a lot of clicks.  I've won at least one game to time with 0:02 seconds on my clock where my opponent and I were just passing turns back and forth as fast as possible for the last minute of the game.