Regenerating

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
My opponent has an Asceticism, 2 questions, lethal vapors is in play, can he regenerate the creatures when they are destroyed? and grave peril, it doesn't say "target" so will it still get his creature as they enter the field?/can he regenerate them as well?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Well this may not be entirely accurate but I don't believe Asceticism is a hard counter to Lethal Vapors because the vapors don't target anything. This means Asceticism makes no difference as far as the initial destruction of creatures goes. However, I do believe you would still be able to regenerate the creatures by putting the regeneration ability on the stack above the destruction.
Sleeky is correct.  Lethal Vapors does not target with its triggered ability (as evidenced by the lack of the word "target"), so Asceticism doesn't stop it from trying to destroy creatures.  Also, as stated, you can still activate a creature's regeneration ability in response to the Vapors' triggered ability, and will be able to successfully regenerate those creature(s).
okay, thats what i thought. and from how most of the questions on here are asnwered, i was under the assumption that if the card doesn't use the word "target" it doesnt actually target it so hexproof and "cannot be the target of spells or abilities" wont stop it, BUT my assuptions are very far from the actual rules so....ya
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
okie doke, thank you both
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
i was under the assumption that if the card doesn't use the word "target" it doesnt actually target it so hexproof and "cannot be the target of spells or abilities" wont stop it, BUT my assuptions are very far from the actual rules so....ya

That assumption isn't far from this rule:
114.9a Just because an object or player is being affected by a spell or ability doesn't make that object or player a target of that spell or ability. Unless that object or player is identified by the word "target" in the text of that spell or ability, or the rule for that keyword ability, it's not a target.

No, I am not a judge. That's why I like to quote sources such as the rules that trump judges.

ooh, cool...thank you
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
As a teacher, I have learned never to believe someone telling me «OK, I understand»...

Proof-testing often shows otherwise. 

Wizards of the Coast: NOT ANYMORE outsourced to Elbonia

okay, thats what i thought. and from how most of the questions on here are asnwered, i was under the assumption that if the card doesn't use the word "target" it doesnt actually target it so hexproof and "cannot be the target of spells or abilities" wont stop it, BUT my assuptions are very far from the actual rules so....ya

I believe auras still target without specifically saying target. For example if an echant creature comes into play on a creature it initially targets that creature to enchant it.

I always feel like I'm wrong when posting on here even if I originally believed to 99.9% certainty that I'm correct :D

I believe auras still target without specifically saying target. For example if an echant creature comes into play on a creature it initially targets that creature to enchant it.

I always feel like I'm wrong when posting on here even if I originally believed to 99.9% certainty that I'm correct :D

You are correct.  Aura spells do target.

_Magic: The Gathering_ Comprehensive Rules

These rules are effective as of October 1, 2012.

114.1b Aura spells are always targeted. These are the only permanent spells with targets. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability (see rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target(s) are chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)

Sign In to post comments