Divine Domains and the Essentials Warpriest

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just recently me and my crew decided to give the Essentials line a go after looking over the way the classes are built and used and seeing some good things that perked our interests.

However when it came to the Warpriest (or Cleric), I couldn't help but notice the emphasis on and lack of cleric domains. After doing a little scouting I came across a whole plethora domains available in the Divine Power source book, however the Warpriest relies heavily on domain progression, which these domains lacked. They all possessed starting powers and benefits right on par with the two 'example' domains in Heroes of the Fallen Lands, but didn't have any power or benefit progression necessary to accomodate the Warpriest Cleric build.

Is there a more 'Essentials' compatible domain list or am I stuck trying to cook up a fair and balanced power and benefit progression for these domains on my own?

Thanks,
Nominrath 
No list exist to convert the Divine Domains as Warpriest's Domain.
No; there are only a certain fixed set of domains for the Warpriest - around 8 I believe, and not likely to be more now.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Even 8 is better than 2... Where can I find these 8?
A couple in Dragon (Domination, Earth), one in Heroes of Shadow (Death Domain), four in Neverwinter Campaign Setting (Oghma, Torm, Corellon, Selune), to name the ones I can think of offhand.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There's at least two in Dragon mag (earth is in D392, domination is in D409), one (death) in Heroes of Shadow, several (Oghma, Torm, Corellon, Selune) in Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

Yes, Gods-as-domains is weird, but that's hardly the first random inconsistency in 4e. You could easily re-name them (in order) Knowledge, War, Magic, and Moon, if you wanted to stick to domain names instead of dieties.

All of them are acceptably functional choices, but the general favorites are the Sun, Earth, Oghma, and Domination builds. 
Nirafelos's list is correct.  I am not sure why they decided to do gods as domains, but you can refluff Oghma as Knowledge, Corellon as wilderness, Sune as Moon, and Torm as Justice or something similar.  I think the neverwinter book even suggests you do this.  Domination could be tyranny since there isn't a domination domain listed anywhere but that article.

Most of the warpriests work at least ok, but Correllon and Death have some major issues as far as power choices goes.  There is a guide to warpriests in my signature.

The templar doesn't get the domain benefits of the warpriest as it progresses, but makes up for that with usually having slightly better starting features and a lot more flexibility in power choices.
after re-reading the OP, it looks to me like you're misreading the domain stuff in Divine Power.

None of that is free, for anyone. Any divine character who has access to that domain can take the "power of..." feats, or feats which give them more channel divinity choices (but not more CD uses...).

The templar cleric (and all non-cleric divine classes) get no mechanical benefit or features from their diety or domain choice other than qualifying for these feats.

The 9 warpriest builds are the only domain/diety reliant class features in the game, though several gods do have their own paragon paths or epic destinies.

As per why domain choice is less of a thing for 4e clerics, it's intentional. Almost all thematic options are intentionally separated from mechanics, so that, say, Pelor doesnt have to be specifically balanced against Selune, or Moradin against the Raven Queen. The Warpriest was added in part to provide that thematic choice for people who missed it, and it was power-choice-locked to both keep the results thematic and to make the aforementioned balancing manageable.  
All I wanted was some more domain options for the Warpriest in Essentials' Heroes of the Fallen Lands.

Perhaps I was misreading the domains and how to 'get' them from Divine Power, but it's a moot point anyway, because I wasn't looking to apply them to anything else. I just saw that the domains had the correct starting powers, benefits for use with a Warpriest but it didn't have anything available for when the Warpriest levels up... which, pardon the pun, seemed essential to how the Warpriest build levels and its use of domains.

Thank you to everyone who pointed out where I could find others that WERE usable for the Warpriest build... this is exactly what I wanted to know. I still wish they would make more, though.

As for the whole 'domains as gods' things, I don't think that was their intent behind the domains. The domains represent spheres of influence of the gods... not gods themselves. I think the intent was that the Warpriest chooses a deity and has a domain associated with this deity... i.e. Amaunator is the god of life and the sun, so his domain would be Sun and hence his priests would have powers associated with the Sun, his domain.

And if any of you make up any more or stumble across others, please let me know!

Thanks again, y'all!

Nominrath

"Been playing 20 years and still learning things." 
I really mean no offense, but parts of your post make no sense at all. Could you clarify them? 

I just saw that the domains had the correct starting powers, benefits for use with a Warpriest but it didn't have anything available for when the Warpriest levels up

I have no idea what you're referring to here. There's lots of domain-related content in Divine Power, but none of it was written for the Warpriest (which was released at least a year after DP), and none of it can be easily misunderstood to be a starting power of benefit to a warpriest, particularly since the warpriests don't get to choose their at-wills and as such don't benefit from the Power Of X feats. Every single piece of Domain content in DP is either a Feat  or an Epic Destiny. There are precisely two new cleric at-wills in DP, and neither is particularly tied thematically to any specific domain. What were you looking at?

As for the whole 'domains as gods' things, I don't think that was their intent behind the domains. The domains represent spheres of influence of the gods... not gods themselves. I think the intent was that the Warpriest chooses a deity and has a domain associated with this deity... i.e. Amaunator is the god of life and the sun, so his domain would be Sun and hence his priests would have powers associated with the Sun, his domain.

I'm not sure who you think was confused about that, but you got the 'Gods as domains" part we were talking about backwards, and then explained something really obvious. The confusing bit is that, after making 4 Domain-specific warpriest builds, who could obviously worship any diety with access to that domain, WotC then released an equal number of God-specific warpriest builds. Mechanically, of course, it makes no difference, but it's somewhat more thematically limiting.

As it would entail over a dozen new class features, two new at-wills, 10 new encounter powers, 7 new daily powers, and a new CD ability, homebrewing a full 1-30 warpriest build would be a lot of work, and not very many people are likely to do it. between the 9 we have, many bases are covered, and those that are missing (like War, Civilization, and Justice) are in lower demand anyway. And mechanically speaking, it looks like WotC is pretty much done with 4e, so i wouldn't expect more from them either.
Sure.

The Warpriest domains determine a benefit, two at-wills, a utility and an encounter... just like the domains in DP. However, the Warpriest domains determine your powers and additional benefits as you level up. The domains in DP do not.

I never said the domains in DP were written for the Warpriest, nor did I assume they were. I was merely hoping that those domains could be used as additional choices. Which I think could be, if one were to take the time and add the information for leveling up that was needed.

As for the gods as domains being backward... I'm not sure what you mean. The 4 that are available in Neverwinter, are indeed backward and I was wrong about those... I was referencing more the ideal-based domains; Sun, Storm, Earth, Domination and Death. I was confused about what some people were talking about and was trying to offer a bit of clarification. Perhaps it would have been better to keep my 2 cents to myself.

As for meaning no offense, I figured... I just feel like I was talked down to. I didn't ask for clarification on any rules or class specifics not pertaining to warpriest. My one and only question was 'Where I could find additional domains that worked for the warpriest?" I merely had all that additional info to let people know where I had looked and what I had tried. I know that questions on forums are usually better answered when additional information such as this is offered so that answers can be quickly and adequately offered. The additional information you added to the answer that was not part of the original inquiry simply adds an air of 'know-it-all' and sounds demeaning. Probably the way my 'gods-as-domains' thing sounded. LoL I appreciate the apology and I offer one in return for my own sort of 'know-it-all' attitude in regards to the 'gods-as-domains' topic.

As for expecting more, I don't... I figured they've moved on to this Next thing. You never know, though. Perhaps reader submissions to Dragon or something. Or perhaps someone out there took the time to make some and has them locked away somewhere.

Play on, brother!
Nominrath 
Sure. The Warpriest domains determine a benefit, two at-wills, a utility and an encounter... just like the domains in DP. 

The domains in DP don't do any of those things, so I'm still confused.  What are you looking at? 

Generally on this forum when people provide more information than you asked for, they're trying to be helpful, rather than demeaning.  Sorry if anything came off as know-it-all or pedantic though! 
S'cool, brotha'.

As for the DP domains, I'll use the Arcana domain.

"Power of Arcana

Prerequisite
Any divine class, must worship a deity of the arcana domain.

Benefit:
You gain a +2 feat bonus to Arcana checks.
When you use a power associated with this feat, that power is arcane as well as divine. After using the power you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with arcane powers until the end of your next turn.

Powers: divine bolts (invoker PH2), lance of faith (cleric PH), radiant vengeance (avenger PH2), virtuous strike (paladin DP)"

Now the details are a little different than I had thought (they're all at-will powers... my bad), and I know the method of obtaining the domains is a little more complex, but the format is almost identical to the warpriest domains. You could change out one of the at-wills for an encounter, change out another for a utility and then figure out the level-up progression and that could be another warpriest usable domain. That's what I was talking about.

It's a lot of work, but could be done.
The DP domains modify powers, they don't determine what powers you have.  That's the core difference between DP and Warpriest that you seem to not be getting.

At this point I'd strongly suggest you head down to the homebrew forum, as you'd get much better support for this sort of an effort there than you will here.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Yeah, I guess so... Oh well.

Ok. Sorry all for the confusion with Divine Power. And thanks again for all your help... especially in pointing me in the right direction for finding actual Warpriest domains.

Peace and remember to play on!

Nominrath 
S'cool, brotha'.

As for the DP domains, I'll use the Arcana domain.

"Power of Arcana

Prerequisite
Any divine class, must worship a deity of the arcana domain.

Benefit:
You gain a +2 feat bonus to Arcana checks.
When you use a power associated with this feat, that power is arcane as well as divine. After using the power you gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls with arcane powers until the end of your next turn.

Powers: divine bolts (invoker PH2), lance of faith (cleric PH), radiant vengeance (avenger PH2), virtuous strike (paladin DP)"

Now the details are a little different than I had thought (they're all at-will powers... my bad), and I know the method of obtaining the domains is a little more complex, but the format is almost identical to the warpriest domains. You could change out one of the at-wills for an encounter, change out another for a utility and then figure out the level-up progression and that could be another warpriest usable domain. That's what I was talking about.

It's a lot of work, but could be done.

Oh.  That's a feat. 

If you feel inspired to make a homebrew build, definitely share it with us! There's some pretty cool domains to be explored!
Sign In to post comments