DLCR: Thragtusk

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Last card for the day...

Thragtusk

Show

5.0: First pick no matter what pack.
4.5: First pick pack 1.
4.0: I will strongly consider playing this as the only card of its color.
3.5: I feel a strong pull into this card’s color.
3.0: This card makes me want to play this color.
2.5: Several cards of this power level start to pull me to this color.
2.0: Should generally make the deck if in this color.
1.5: Decent filler.
1.0: 23rd card if you have to.
0.5: This card will sometimes be sideboarded in.
0.0: I will never put this card into my deck (main deck or after sideboarding).

What can I say.  This card is amazing.  It's easily splashable and is just such great card advantage it's unreal.

Easy 5

Discuss! 
Yeah, I think a 5.0 is fair. It's a little less powerful than some of the CC mythics in the set, but it makes up for it with splashablity.
This is a 5.0 that I feel extremely comfortable with.
This is an extremely good value player but it is not game-breaking. I am gonna go controversial and say 4.5.
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Short of a Foil mytic/rare there is nothing I would take over this card reguardless of current Pack.  Also, it's got money value.  4.5 - 5
Tolkein was a jerk. Seriously, what DM sends 9 Wraith Lords at a Lvl 2 party of Halflings. The only 'correct' way to play D&D is by whatever method is making the group you have at that session, have the most fun.

This is an extremely good value player but it is not game-breaking. I am gonna go controversial and say 4.5.

The great thing is that it absolutely destroys in every situation a typical bomb could fail.

Does it stop you from losing the game?
A surprising number of bombs don't actually stop you from losing the game. You could be behind and top deck a Grave Titan only to be dead to a flier, where the less exciting Frost Titan would save you. Thragtusk straight up gives you life, so unless your opponent is milling you it protects you from all angles.

Can it win you the game by itself?
This is probably where the card fails the most, but I'd say it does a pretty good job of it. Serra Angel is usually an uncontested flier, so she accels here. Thragtusk can get blocked, but your opponent has to lose a midrange creature to do so and still usually takes a couple points of damage, better yet, you're left with another body.

Does it die to removal?
A lot of the best bombs actually fail here. The Titans didn't, but the Commanders this time around do. I feel pretty happy when my opponent uses a prime (nonpacifism) removal spell on my creature and I'm left with a 3/3 and 5 life.

Does it get you advantage over time?
If you attack with it or block with it, it does.

Is it splashable?
Very.

Never been so fortunate to crack this.

#value
Value town but usully not a game changer.  4.5
As much as I like green, I hesitate to give this a 5. It's great card advantage, but it also doesn't win a game by itself. Still easily a 4.5, and there aren't too many cards I'd draft above it in later packs.