alan2here set

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
My first attempt at a set, best to play alone, without other sets.

77 cards. Some parts of the design may need more cards, feedback would be great.

Edit: Updated several times from feedback.

This set uses White, Blue and Green.

Land

There is reason to play multiple colors and the land makes this easier but offers choices about how to go about it.
A green land also protects you.

Show
Of Mud and Rain
Land
This land enters play with X depletion counters, X is 2 times the number of opponents.
Opponents may untap this land at the beginning of their upkeep.
: Add one or mana to your mana pool.
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool, remove a depletion counter. Only opponents may use this ability.

Of Forest and Rain
Land
This land enters play with X depletion counters, X is 2 times the number of opponents.
: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool, remove a depletion counter. Only opponents may use this ability.

Of Wet Leaves
Land

Safe Forest
Land
: Add to your mana pool.
Prevent the next 2 damege that would be delt to you this turn.

Forest
Plains
Island

Exotic Orchard
Vesuva

Coastal Tower
Elfhame Palace

There are several tribes, the tribes work well with themselves and can be mixed, although this is more difficult, some are too small to play alone.

Show
Vanilla

The Vanilla tribe, with Vanilla creatures and artifacts to buff them, the artifacts are only useful with Vanilla creatures.

Show
Great Cone

Artifact
Add a power counter at the beginning of your upkeep.
Your creatures without abilities have +X/+X where X is the number of power counters.

Great Cylinder

Artifact
Your creatures without abilities have +3/+3.

Great Wedge

Artifact
Your creatures without abilities have +3/+3.

Great Star

Artifact
Your creatures without abilities, not counting haste, flying, first strike, double strike or trample have +6/+6.

Grizzly Bears

Plated Slagwurm
Water Wurm
Scaled Wurm
Vastwood Gorger

Azure Drake

Slivers

All cost more than 2 involving no more than 1 mana color.
In contrast to the Vanilla tribe Slivers have great synergy.

Humans

The human tribe often involves the moving of tokens and has cheap creatures.

Angels

Perhaps not as powerful as might be expected.

Show
Serra Angel

Angel of Life

Creature - Angel
Lifelink
Flying
3/3

Grounded Angel

Creature - Angel
Vigilance
3/4
"She wont fly, it is self imposed acknowledgment of her shame."

Serpentine Drakes

Cannot be countered and some cast shroud over other perminents.

Show
Weak Serpentine Drake - Drake

Uncounterable
t: Exchange power and defence.
2/4

Elder Serpentine Drake - Drake Merfolk Wizard Cleric

Uncounterable
t: Exchange power and defence.
t: Permanents you control now have shroud as long as Serpentine Drake is on the battlefield, Serpentine Drake gains a -1/-1 counter and you lose 4 life.
2/4
"Older, wiser and trusted by many."

Other New Mechanics

Some are also in more detail here.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Show
Great Blade

Artifact
Your creatures have "t: Gain a -1/-1 counter. Create a token that is copy of this creature, the copy is a 1/1.".

Great Knife

Artifact
Your creatures have "t: Gain a -1/-1 counter. Create a token that is copy of this creature, the copy is a 1/1.".

Great Thief

Artifact
Perminents also have the subtypes of Darksteel Mana Thief.
t: Remove a subtype from target permanent, adding that subtype to Darksteel Mana Thief.

Love as Order

Enchantment
Two target permanents are grouped, or groups are combined. All group members have each others abilities and types, all targets and combat effects to any group members effect all group members.

Love Beyond

Enchantment
Two target permanents are grouped, or groups are combined. All group members have each others abilities and types, all targets and combat effects to any group members effect all group members.
All grouped cards have "t: Add target permanent to the group, or groups are combined. All group members have each others abilities and types, all targets and combat effects to any group members effect all group members.".

Utility Cards

Removal is relatively weak and in white, although there is a colorless board wipe and the counter cancel.
There is good blue deck fixing, a tutor and some simple +X/+Y equipment.
Also relevent lucky charms as well as some mana producing myr and a few other cards.

I'm not sure what your set is trying to do. If one has to look too far to be inspired by looking at your cards, then perhaps something is wrong. 

For instance, I read your 'themes' and still have no idea what your set is about. I moved onto the cards and saw some ridiculously b0rken things.

'Vanilla matters' is a hard sell, even with the casual deckbulder cred of Muraganda petroglyphs. Selesnya in RtR is pretty close: token creatures often have no abilities (though they gave them some in RtR to differentiate them) so maybe go down that road? A small 'creatures matter' theme could work too. Think of Shared Discovery and the like.

As is my style, here's some ideas that hopefully will inspire you!

• Primal Mage (When a creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay . If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on it.)

This ability would go on creatures, and perhaps an enchantment. This makes vanilla guys bigger without giving them abilities, and you can have cards that can use counters for effects, ala Fertilid and Spike Feeder.

• Mirage (Put a token copy of target creature onto the battlefield under your control except its a 0/2.)

Sort of like populate but you get their stuff. 

Some other thoughts:

• White as the army color should make the most small tokens.

• Red can play in line with red humans in Avacyn Restored / Trumpet Blast draft style. Red can have tokens that ETB with Haste, then leave.

• Black can do what it does best: mop up creatures en masse. It can also use creature sacrifice to effect.

Hope these help!
My latest set is in public beta! KOR - Kingdoms of Rabiah - Check it out! Like Uncle Istvan? Like Rabiah? Like Homelands? Then check out theScion's Parade of Planeswalkers Got Flavor? Throw it at me in my Gauntlet: theScion vs YMTC thread. Can the combined powers of YMTC defeat our favorite rainbow-faced card crafter?
Which things are broken? There are a coupple that I havn't created threads for, I could perhaps tackle individual cards that way where I'm not sure.

Some of the points are interesting, I'm not keen to make anything more complicated yet given some of the mechanics. There is no red or black in this set. I've neglected token generators in white I admit, but it seems there is still a lot going on.

I've reworded my original post, it should be clearer now, sory about that.

Do you consider the vanilla tribe to be too weak?
bump
Your two-colour lands are way too powerful. Partly because they don't work the way you think they work, and partly because they're just too awesome.

Problem 1: You can tap them for any colour. And unlike your opponents, you're not limited to doing this only once.

Problem 2: Untapping every upkeep is a pretty big upside, and the downside just isn't big enough to put them down. Even with only two colours they're still pretty amazing lands. Especially as you can use them the turn they come into play (before your opponent can tap them)
Are thease problems now solved?

What tribe/tribes would you play?

How is Azure Drake vanilla?

Also, there isn't a whole lot of design space for "vanilla matters". You can't say

Hypothetical Vanila Matters Card

Enchantment

Creatures without rules text gain trample.

Because that's a one card Humility/Opalescence cluster**** since you gave them trample.

If we still had old-school (non-keyworded) reach, this would be fun.

Rule-Breaking Aura

Enchantment--Aura

Enchant creature.

Enchanted creature gets +1/+1, cannot block creatures with flying, and cannot be blocked except by creatures with flying..

But reach is keyworded, so we can't do that.

To make for more rules headaches, Copper Myr has rules text, but Grizzly Bears+Darksteel Plate doesn't. The same can be said of an Elite Vanguard enchanted with Tricks of the Trade. But Metathran Soldier does have rules text. A vanilla creatures enchanted with Spirit Link is still vanilla; not so with Lifelink.

Basically, Muraganda Petroglyphs is a huge headache.

139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I added Great Star to clean up why Azure Drake is in the vanilla guild and add a bit of variety while keeping things mostly vanilla.

I can see potential for complications in the rules, but I'm keeping it anway, within the set there are no such problems.