Standard on a super tight budget

11 posts / 0 new
Last post

So people locally are about to start playing Standard and I figured that I might give it a go if I can put together something on the cheap that'll actually win a round or two every now and then. So here's my first draft:

I know next to nothing about Standard or even this kind of archetype, so I wouldn't mind some pointers. I'm not including goodies like Stromkirk Noble because, well, it exceeds my central-european-student budget. This is largely why I'm posting it here and not in Standard deck help.

Also sideboard suggestions. I'm expecting a token deck or two, so I'd probably be siding in Electrickery against that and I don't know what else. Any idea what to side in for Waifs for when I'll be on the draw?

L1 Judge

Looks good, but I might make room for Gore-House Chainwalker. I'd also substitute Lightning Mauler with Reckless Brute I think, since it deals more damage.

If the deck gets more creature heavy then a couple Cryptborn Horror might be good.

You could experiment with adding Krenko's Command and Dynacharge. It could be a way to obtain quicker victories.

I'd rather not get rid of Lightning Mauler, as third turn Mauler + Cackler or fourth turn Mauler + Flunkies is pretty strong. Gore-House Chainwalker is probably better than Flunkies in most scenarios though, so I'll try that. Reckless Brute doesn't seem so great. If there's any common three-drop I'd consider, it's Fervent Cathar as it helps push damage past blockers on top of the haste.

L1 Judge

I completely forgot to consider the fact that you could play two guys in one turn to make Mauler really good.
It seems pretty weak against other creature decks (loxodon smiter for example dodges all the deck's removal and has more toughness than any of the creatures power) so I would make sure to include a sideboard with cards like mark of mutiny or crossway vampire to push damage through their creatures.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Oooh, good point.

Also, I was tempted into picking up a Hellrider. Do you guys think I can run two in this deck without raising the number of lands?

L1 Judge

with goblin arsonist I'd really like to see goblin grenade.  There's probably not enough other goblins for it to work, though.
Also it won't be legal together with Rakdos Cackler and friends.

L1 Judge

For a stronger AND budget friendly deck I would strongly consider monogreen aggro (MGA) instead of the red deck wins (RDW) approach. Stronger drops and help spells to deal with tough opponents critters. Cheap costs to dodge counters, recursive dudes, etc.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

For a stronger AND budget friendly deck I would strongly consider monogreen aggro (MGA) instead of the red deck wins (RDW) approach. Stronger drops and help spells to deal with tough opponents critters. Cheap costs to dodge counters, recursive dudes, etc.

But does it have any reach? Without reach it might have problems with Zombies and stuff just grinding at it.
Reach is gleaned via getting unblocked dudes thru via pumped champion of lambholt protected by ranger's guile. Also rancor grants predator ooze a scary amount of power. Also going wild beastmaster -->revenge of the hunted=GG 9/10 times if you are holding guile to stop the inevitable abrupt decay. It's not perfect but this is budget. snare the skies or plummet is flying hate. The thing the deck misses most is gladecover scout :/ you have no idea how many times I've gone T1 scout into a turn 2-4 revenge. It's always GG. Green also has good ol naturalize to screw DSphere. Cheap costs hose stuff like DTide or cyclonic rift. terminus is always a hate card of course, and unfortunately we lost tezzeret's gambit to refill the grip/proliferate from blessings of nature, but u just need to basically hold back a strangleroot Geist in the control matchup, or a predator ooze (I've found it fantastic vs...everything)

Yeah I think it's worth going that route. My MGA deck I built for a friend on a budget can a beat non rotation delver on a decent and and can go toe to toe with new Jund zombies. Def lose more than win, but it's close.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/12.jpg)

Sign In to post comments