CRL - Questions on the rules

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have some basic understanding of the game (60%).
Need these answers below please and it would clear the issues i am uncertain about.
Excuse the english.

1. At setup
The starting tile has 2tiles in 1.....
when you start the game; does a monster spawn before the first players takes his turn or only at player-1 villian phase...

2. If a Monsters AC is 15 and has ATT +6 and damage 2
What is the ATT +6 (Is it for me to add to the dice roll??)

3. How many Monsters can spawn from one newly revealed tile?
If playing with 2 players:
If player-1 was first to reveal the new tile and spawned its monster.. then player-2 is only good for attacking it or try to reveal a new tile by being adjacent to one...
OR does another monster spawn separatly to attack player-2 (doubt this based on rules)

4. Rules state that if the same Monster 'type' is spawned on the same tile then they both get activated during the villian phase.
Define activated? Do they both take a turn in the same villian phase. Does it also mean they can both attack player-1 or player-2 etc...

5. What happens if the 2 heroes stay idle within a tile for lets say 3 rounds (Silly to do but just for the sake of understanding the game mechanics)?
I would assume they look at a total of 3 encounters or is it 6 if you playing 2 players...

6. One thing i do not understand about traps...
Traps are spawned usually due to encounters; So
Lets say;
Player 1 pulls an encounter 'trap x'
Question: Does the player roll to disable against the trap first or do the heroes take the damage from it first? Are traps disabled only after it does damage and is it considered an action?
1. At setup
The starting tile has 2tiles in 1.....
when you start the game; does a monster spawn before the first players takes his turn or only at player-1 villian phase...

There is no monster that spawns on the start tile.  The first monster will spawn when the first non-start tile is revealed.

2. If a Monsters AC is 15 and has ATT +6 and damage 2
What is the ATT +6 (Is it for me to add to the dice roll??)

Yes, the +6 is the monster's attack bonus.  When it makes an attack, roll d20 and add that bonus.  Then, if it hits, deal the damage value (in this case, 2) to the target.

3. How many Monsters can spawn from one newly revealed tile?
If playing with 2 players:
If player-1 was first to reveal the new tile and spawned its monster.. then player-2 is only good for attacking it or try to reveal a new tile by being adjacent to one...
OR does another monster spawn separatly to attack player-2 (doubt this based on rules)

One monster spawns from a newly revealed tile, no matter how many players are on the board.

4. Rules state that if the same Monster 'type' is spawned on the same tile then they both get activated during the villian phase.
Define activated? Do they both take a turn in the same villian phase. Does it also mean they can both attack player-1 or player-2 etc...

The rule is "If there is more than one Monster with the exact same name in play, activate each of those Monsters on your turn."  So, it doesn't matter where they are on the board, if you have a gargoyle in front of you, and your friend has one in front of him, then you will activate both gargoyles on your turn, and he will do the same.  Multiple monsters of the same type is bad.

As for what "activate" means, it means they go during your villain phase.  What they do and who they attack is usually defined by the tactics on the monster's card.  However, if more than 1 player is an eligible target, then whoever is activating the monster at the time determines which target it chooses to attack.  They could both attack player 1, they could both attack player 2, or, if both player 1 and 2 are valid targets according to the monster's tactics, they could spread their attacks around.

5. What happens if the 2 heroes stay idle within a tile for lets say 3 rounds (Silly to do but just for the sake of understanding the game mechanics)?
I would assume they look at a total of 3 encounters or is it 6 if you playing 2 players...

If the players stay idle, then no new monsters will spawn.  However, each player will draw an encounter card in his Exploration Phase.  So, in this case, with two player, six encounter cards would be revealed.  Keep in mind that this can be even worse than spawning new monsters.

6. One thing i do not understand about traps...
Traps are spawned usually due to encounters; So
Lets say;
Player 1 pulls an encounter 'trap x'
Question: Does the player roll to disable against the trap first or do the heroes take the damage from it first? Are traps disabled only after it does damage and is it considered an action?

The player who draws the encounter card containing a trap is not capable of trying to disarm it immediately.  Each player's turn is done in three phases, completed in order:

Hero Phase
Exploration Phase
Villain Phase

So, since Encounter cards are drawn at the start of the Villain Phase, the player's Hero Phase (where he can actually attempt to disarm the trap with his standard action) has already passed.  Disarming a trap takes the place of a player's attack.  In fact, sometimes it's easier to move on and let a trap remain where it is.
Thank you so much.. can begin the game/playing.
For now you clreared it all up for me.
Gracias
One issue that i am unclear on if you can please aid me on;
Scenario: 2 Players
Round.1
I know that Player-1 does not need to take an encounter if he revealed a non black tile; correct.
BUT
Player-2 killed the Monster revealed by Player-1, but he did not reveal a tile within this first round of play... does he take an encounter??

The question:
Is not picking up an encounter based on each hero revealing a tile within the same round of play?

OR

If 1/2 Players within the same round revealed a tile its sufficient to avoid an encounter?

==========================================================

Also..what are those 1M-2M-3M or even the 0 Monster token used for....(i have the monster miniatures so...??)
Got the answers...
So always pull an encounter if no tiles are pulled.

The tokens are for special scenarios..
*sorry for newb questions but slowly getting an understanding and loving the game
(Bought all expansions playing CRL first to learn by)
Yeah.  You got it.  Keep the games separate for now.  Just stick with Ravenloft on its own to learn the rules.  Then, play Ashardalon to learn those new rules.  Then, play Drizzt to learn those rules.

When you've got that knowledge down, then you can start thinking of them as expansions and mix and match stuff.
Hi thewok
Really greatful for your input and helping

I dont plan to jump on the others until ready; eventhough i am much excited to.
I probably will stick with CRL for a month before moving on.

I played the first adventure with the dragonborn fighter. I had some close calls where had 4HP left.
I also realized some things were left to interpretation as did not find it in the rule book....

First question i have after a dry run is;
1. If you gain a level (which i did by luck via treasure); do you healup all damage and refresh any used daily power etc..
- It does not mention of not being able to do this or unless i missed on something...This also saved me when had only 4HP left

2. Spiders web says movement speed reduces to 2...
- I pulled a treasure card that does a +1SPD... If my understanding is correct the natural movement is reduced to 2, BUT with the +1 its 3SPD until end of hero phase. Is my interpretation incorrect?

3. Also realized that its not always easy to make it to the adjacent edge... So this means naturally it be impossible to avoid an encounter when playing with a few players. Unless everyone dashes across but even then you bound to pull an encounter as not everyone can make it to an adjacent edge...
Is my understanding of this correct??
If so its time to save those exp and pray for some merciful encounters...

For now those are my questions and ty for responding/reading
* will try the dwarven cleric tomorrow night on the same solo adventure...
Hi thewok
Really greatful for your input and helping

No problem.  Glad to help.

1. If you gain a level (which i did by luck via treasure); do you healup all damage and refresh any used daily power etc..
- It does not mention of not being able to do this or unless i missed on something...This also saved me when had only 4HP left

It doesn't say to fill up, so I don't believe you are meant to.  I believe your max HP increases, but your current HP remains the same.

That said, the way we play it is that the new hit points are added in to the current hit points.  So, if a character has 8 maximum hit points at level 1 and is currently at 4 (down 4 hit points), then, upon leveling, he'll have 10 maximum hit points, but he'll gain those extra hit points as current hit points.  So, he'll have 6 hit points (still down 4 from maximum).

Honestly, we've yet to win a game while using only 2 healing surges, so this is a way for us to extend our chances of survival a bit longer.  I think both are valid interpretations of the rule, and the one you choose is really up to you.

2. Spiders web says movement speed reduces to 2...
- I pulled a treasure card that does a +1SPD... If my understanding is correct the natural movement is reduced to 2, BUT with the +1 its 3SPD until end of hero phase. Is my interpretation incorrect?

I believe the Slowed condition overrrides any speed adjustments.  If you are slowed, your speed is 2.  So, if your normal speed is 5 (using a fighter), and you are slowed, your speed is 2.  By gaining that treasure, your normal speed goes up to 6, but your speed is still 2 until you save against the Slowed condition.

3. Also realized that its not always easy to make it to the adjacent edge... So this means naturally it be impossible to avoid an encounter when playing with a few players. Unless everyone dashes across but even then you bound to pull an encounter as not everyone can make it to an adjacent edge...
Is my understanding of this correct??
If so its time to save those exp and pray for some merciful encounters...

Yep.  Encounters are a fact of life.  Just draw and hope you don't get boned by your shuffling.

Even with a full group, there's a balancing act you have to maintain between revealing more tiles (and thus spawning more monsters) and hanging back to fight those monsters so the group doesn't get overwhelmed.  You have to reveal tiles in order to get to the villain and complete the scenario.  But, if you spawn too many monsters, you won't be able to survive the onslaught (and the inevitable black triangle tile's Encounter draw).  And heaven forbid you spawn Strahd when you have four other monsters all hounding you.
Few questions or comment:

On your first point concerning leveling. Agreed

On your second point; when slowed it says that YOUR movement is reduced to 2... So it should not effect the item obtained which increases your movement magically by 1. I think one should not effect the other?
Also to this point::
sing boots of striding is covered in the CR pdf rulebook FAQ:
"Boots of Striding (177): A Slowed Hero with this item has a Speed of 3. An Immobilized Hero still can’t move"

On the third point; it wasnt a struggle but then again got lucky few times. Also pulled an encounter which allowed a +1 damage by heroes and monsters if rolled a 17. It helped but also hurt a bit. I agree with you its a balancing act on when to accept an encounter or dispense it with exp.

Will give a followup tonight when i try play with the Cleric solo

Thanks again
Great replies thewok, it is nice to hear that others are making the same interpretations of the "grey areas" in more or less the same way that I am.

I've found that the game is really tough when only given 2 healing surges. I believe that the rules in one of the sets suggests adding an additional healing surge to make it a bit easier or removing one to make it a bit more challenging. However, I've found that a good rule of thumb is to use one healing surge per player. In all of the games I've played, this has probably been the most enjoyable way to operate, especially when we have a full compliment of 5 players.

Wizzywiz, thanks for the great questions! It is always nice to hear these questions and work through the answers as it helps me to understand the intended rules even better!
Thank you. 'Thewok' and some others are always eager to help and explain in plain english the set of rules.
I now understand game rules very well thanks to him.
The Wok is happy you find his responses illuminating. ;)

Regarding the boots: I hadn't seen the new FAQ on the Ravenloft download.  Nice bonus for that item in play, and I'll have to keep it in mind.

Since the store I go to didn't get Encounters this season, we've been playing a lot of board games.  I took Raveloft up to the store one week, and we played the first multiplayer scenario (I think) to get the Icon of Ravenloft.  In this instance, we didn't use a single healing surge.  I don't know if we were just rolling well or what, but it was actually a pretty easy milk run of a game.  Unfortunately, we didn't have time to play a scenario with a major villain.  I would have liked to try the dracolich.

I just wish my friends and I lived closer together so we could play more often.  Luckily, a few of them are moving fairly close next month, so I might see if they want to do a board game night once a week or so.  I really want to bust out the WoW game soon, but it takes a long time to play.  It's one of those all-day affairs.
I really wish that I had room in my schedule for a weekly board game night. AND a weekly RPG night. AND a once-a-month "pick up game" night to play other games. But alas my schedule doesn't allow it.

I think I've played one scenario (in WoA) where we didn't use any surges. But that was the only one. I find that often when I play these games, I have new players and so not everyone plays "optimally". This isn't a problem; I enjoy casual gaming. But perhaps it is why I often seen an "excess" use of healing surge tokens.
Mr. Wok. 1st, ur awesome, thanx for being here. Im very new to D & D, & hve many questions but will ask one for now. In Ashardolon, the treasure cards makin me confused. Do you use them once & then discard them? Some say but others dont. And even though it says "use immediatley" , if u keep the card, when do use it again? Example: Human Cleric treasure item of shield says +2 AC, use immediately. Well u cant use until ur being attacked, so i waited until i was, used it to increase my AC, but then continued to use it ea time i was being attacked. Not sure if i was supposed too, & some of those treasure cards seem like they can interfere with ea other. Anyway i luv the game so far & appreciate your input.
Sign In to post comments