Contestants vs. Judges - A Detektor Contest

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Inspired by razorborne's antics.

• You can sign up to be a contestant or a judge.

• Each round, each surviving contestant will create a card. Each surviving judge will then critique a card of their choice that has not already been judged.

• If there are more surviving judges than contestants, cards may be reviewed twice. If there are more surviving contestants than judges, judges may do an additional review.

• Both contestants and judges will have criteria to follow.

• After each round there will be a public vote, and the worst player will be eliminated.

• Once no judges remain the contestants win, and vice versa.

• This means that contestants have an incentive to make cards that will be difficult for the judges to fit into their criteria, and judges have an incentive to be as harsh as possible.

Contestant Sign-Up List:

1. Sebanovich

2. AzureShade

3. ConfusedAsUsual

4. Jessica_Morgan

5. Fenix

6. Purple_Shrimp

7. Kingreaper

8. Morgothra

9. Dudibus

Judge Sign-Up List:

1. Cisnero

2. Mown

3. Zokorad

4. magicpablo666

5. Fistarnius

6. chinkeeyong

7. Dr_Demento

8. theatog

If you sign up to be a contestant, create a card that involves the top card or bottom card of a library.

If you sign up to be a judge, your first critique must have something (anything) to do with a book of your choice.
Judge!

I am the law! 
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
By the way, I feel I must ask, Detektor... why Two-Face?  :P
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sometimes I imagine what Cisnero's life must be like. I imagine cargo pants - every pocket stuffed with coins. I imagine him (I almost said "him or her" but then I decided his gender with through the randomization of a small metal disk) - I imagine him, shopping, purchasing food, choosing which spot to park in, all through this meticulous flipping process. I imagine him asking a girl out, taking her to have a drink or whatever and then asking if she wants to play this fun game. When she responds "Sure." he removes a single quarter from one of his jingling pockets. Then proceeds to flip it repeatedly while she calls it - until she is able to make up an excuse to leave. Will he respond to this post? Only if the Chaotic Gods of Copper and Nickel deem it so. Someday many years from now, in the Dystopian future world, I'll ride my Billy Idol Unicycle past a bedraggled slumbub - He'll be clad in armor made all of the (now worthless) coins of yesterdecade. He'll grin a shiny grin at me as he flips another coin - and I'll know who it was. How could I not?
sign-up for contestant.

Hypothesiculus
Creature - Homunculus
, : Name a card, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card is the named card, you draw a card.
0/2
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
I call contestant!

Mad Chronomagus 
Creature - Human Wizard
At the beginning of your upkeep, reveal the bottom card of your library.  If it is an instant or sorcery card, exile it with two time counters on it.  If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend. (At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from that card. When the last is removed, cast it without paying its mana cost.)
“We’re going back.....to the future!”
2/2

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

If you sign up to be a judge, your first critique must have something (anything) to do with a book of your choice.

What?
Shall I make snarky comments about Twilight while grading, or write it like chapters from the Bible?
"Your card breaks traditional fiction, as seen in [name]"?

I don't get this.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Contestant.

Bottom of the Barrel -
Sorcery
Choose a card type and shuffle your library. Then, reveal the bottom card of your library. If the revealed card is of the chosen card type, cast it without paying its mana cost.
"It is at least worth a try, isn't it?"
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.

What?
Shall I make snarky comments about Twilight while grading, or write it like chapters from the Bible?
"Your card breaks traditional fiction, as seen in [name]"?

I don't get this.

You can fulfill the criteria any way you want, if you think that the community will appreciate it enough not to vote against you. The more creative the better, really.
Well, I doubt you're going to get enough judges, so I'll join that.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

judge

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Contestant

Prophet's Gambit
Instant
Reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a card type with a permanent or spell an opponent controls, play it without paying its mana cost.
The future is an uncertain weapon.
Contestant

Temporary Exile
Enchantment
If a creature would die, put it on the bottom of its owners library instead.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
By the way, I feel I must ask, Detektor... why Two-Face?  :P

That's a long story, but it has a little to do with the season 4 finale of Breaking Bad.
You seem to be missing me on the Contestant list.....

@mikemearls The office is basically empty this week, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for low shenanigans

@mikemearls In essence, all those arguments I lost are being unlost. Won, if you will. We're doing it MY way, baby.

@biotech66 aren't you the boss anyway? isn't "DO IT OR I FIRE YOU!" still an option?

@mikemearls I think Perkins would throat punch me if I ever tried that. And I'd give him a glowing quarterly review for it.

You seem to be missing me on the Contestant list.....

Fixed.
Looks like you need more judges.

I will rain down a torrent of judgement so pure and musky that you'll wish you'd never created an account. I will judge contestants, judges, contests. This contest has faulty logic! Your contestants are odd! You judges only judge others to feel better about your own pathetic existences! Y'all vote like Americans. Two-face has psychological issues. I'm starting to believe that AzureShade doesn't actually have a "record in the pits." Sandslash only looks cool!

So, um, I wanna judge I guess.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Rather than judging a card, can I just judge that guy's judgment?
Show
144902215 wrote:

Didn't we both do contests like that?
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Orcish Curator
Creature - Orc (C)
When Orcish Curator enters the battlefield, look at the top three cards of your library. (Put them back in the same order.)
Sacrifice Orcish Curator: Shuffle your library.
1/1
192884403 wrote:
firstrike
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
56965458 wrote:
97820278 wrote:
Ceci n'est pas une pipe.
This definitely doesn't mean what you think it means.
I was referring to the painting The Treachery of Images.
I know.

I know one of the many contests I did, followed shortly by me going inactive, once had players create cards, then judge others... with my own judging supposed to be based on the after-judging argumentation over the cards...

I'm pretty sure for the sake of the forum, it was best that I went inactive before I incited riots. 
Show
144902215 wrote:

I know one of the many contests I did, followed shortly by me going inactive, once had players create cards, then judge others... with my own judging supposed to be based on the after-judging argumentation over the cards...

I'm pretty sure for the sake of the forum, it was best that I went inactive before I incited riots. 

I created a contest similar to that right after you did, and we were supposed to compete against each other in a three round competition. but you disappeared and I have stalked you ever since.
Real men hold shift. If everyone has their fingers in the pie, then someone is eating fingers.
Have you considered a new hobby?  Maybe collecting stamps?
Show
144902215 wrote:
Have you considered a new hobby?  Maybe collecting stamps?

not as fun
Miniature golf using hand grenades?
Show
144902215 wrote:
Miniature golf using hand grenades?

possibly
Are sign-ups still going on? I would like to judge.
IMAGE(http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/1374/linkaraemrakul.png)

I will be a judge.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Sure I'll judge, although themed critiques sounds like an awful, awful idea.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Are sign-ups still going on? I would like to judge.

I'll let everyone know when the sign-ups/first entries close. You can start working on your critique though, if you already have a particular submission in mind.
Entering as a contestant

Living Growth
Sorcery
Reveal the top card of your library. If it is a land card or a creature card, draw three cards. Otherwise, draw a card.
Contestant:

Mixaround :R:
Instant

Put the bottom card of your library into your hand, the top card of your graveyard on top of your library and a card in your hand into your graveyard.

"What did we do that for?"
"I dunno. Let's do it again!" 
Ego
144902215 wrote:
Morgothra has the Syntax and Grammar of a God.
56754738 wrote:
I love this card.
56771968 wrote:
I can't compete with this.
57461258 wrote:
@Morgothra: Beautifully said, sir. Beautifully said.
Contest Winners
CKY, magicpablo666 and Dinobeer combined ingenuity and silliness to win a Summer fUn contest each! vlord beat the rest to become the architect of a better tomorrow in Build it and they will come! CityofAs pranced masterfully to victory in Skipping Merrily! ConfusedAsUsual conquered both tropes and opponents to ascend in Metafiction! FirstTurnKill condensed Success into Art form in Summing it Up!
I'm going to leave this open until tonight. It would be great if we could start with equal numbers of judges and contestants, though.
fine i will judge. But for as long I have been around the forum, i have been advertising the fact that i'm illiterate. So i have no idea what to do with the first judge criteria.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
sign-up for contestant.

Hypothesiculus
Creature - Homunculus
, : Name a card, then reveal the top card of your library. If that card is the named card, you draw a card.
0/2

I'm not grading this one. Sebs, this looks vaguely M'Noolian. Maybe more than vaguely. I like it. I would probably have named it something similar even.

I'm not grading it because I want to judge something harshly the first time around. . .

I call Fenix. I'll grade you soon Fenix. I think we both know what is wrong with your card1. . .

1. Why in Heaven's name doesn't it Mill!!!?

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
sign-up for contestant.

Hypothesiculus
Creature - Homunculus
0/2

I'm not grading this one. Sebs, this looks vaguely M'Noolian. Maybe more than vaguely. I like it. I would probably have named it something similar even.

I'm not grading it because I want to judge something harshly the first time around. . .

I call Fenix. I'll grade you soon Fenix. I think we both know what is wrong with your card1. . .

I'm sorry if you actually made a card similar to this. I swear it is pure coincidence
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Aw, no I didn't. Not really. Didn't mean to imply that. More of an observational compliment.

139359831 wrote:

It does, it just does it in a very subtle way.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
We have to call out who to judge now!?

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

[spoiler MLP]Congratulations, you've found My Lie Policy: Only when i'm prompted, i might lie. (policy still in the refinement process.) [/spoiler] [spoiler I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.]I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green

[/spoiler]
Theatog:

I'll let everyone know when the sign-ups/first entries close. You can start working on your critique though, if you already have a particular submission in mind.

Fenix:
We'll see about that!

139359831 wrote:
Judges can start now.
Contestant

Prophet's Gambit
Instant
Reveal the top card of your library. If it shares a card type with a permanent or spell an opponent controls, play it without paying its mana cost.
The future is an uncertain weapon.

Dibs on this one.  Judgment being written now.
Show
144902215 wrote:
Sign In to post comments