Olivia Voldaren question

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I take control of an opponent's creature with Olivia Voldaren's second ability, and the next turn I attack with both Olivia and my opponents creature.

My opponent kills Olivia after I declare attackers. Her ability states that I will lose control of the creature once I lose control of Olivia. Even though it was already declared an attacker, I lose contol of the opponents creature before combat damage right? So my opponent wouldn't take any damage?

Just a clarification question really. I feel that I have the answer, but just want to clarify it. Thanks!!
As you lose control of it, it's also removed from combat. It will neither deal nor receive any damage. Your opponent could even use the returned creature to block any remaining attacker.

506.4. A permanent is removed from combat if it leaves the battlefield, if its controller changes, if it phases out, if an effect specifically removes it from combat, if it’s a planeswalker that’s being attacked and stops being a planeswalker, or if it’s an attacking or blocking creature that regenerates (see rule 701.12) or stops being a creature. A creature that’s removed from combat stops being an attacking, blocking, blocked, and/or unblocked creature. A planeswalker that’s removed from combat stops being attacked.

Your opponent could even use the returned creature to block any remaining attacker.

it's most likely tapped from attacking

proud member of the 2011 community team
You'll lose control of the creature as soon as Olivia leaves the battlefield. And when you lose control of it, it'll leave combat. There are several opportunities for that to happen before the combat damage step.
Great, thanks all!
I would like to clarify something for myslef......If he attacked with Olivia and the other creature, and they only blocked olivia, and she died from the damage, would the controlled creature have dealt it's damage before control was lost?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Barring first strike or double strike, all combat damage is dealt at once. Olivia and the stolen creature deal their combat damage at the same time. If Olivia takes lethal damage, she dies the next time SBAs are checked, which occurs shortly after, but after, combat damage happened, and the creature is returned to its previous controller.
thank you
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Sign In to post comments