Heroic Tier Gladiator Campaign

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was just browsing through the old 2e Complete Gladiator's Handbook the other day and was wondering if anyone has tried running a gladiatorial campaign recently. It seems like a relatively good "starting point" for a new Dark Sun group, especially if they are just familiarizing themselves with the 4e combat rules for the first time. It also clearly breaks up into distinct encounters so that those with time constraints don't end up with the neverending session.

Obviously this sort of thing would get a bit repetitive after a while, but it could be used as a springboard to a larger campaign (especially if the PCs attempt to win their way out of slavery / escape in the night). Does anyone have interesting arena encounters or ideas to share?  
I definitely had a plan to run a 4e Gladiator campaign. I was going to run it more or less like the Spartacus TV show. Where each player had 2 characters, one that was a slave of some sort, either a gladiator or a house slave and one that was a freeman and was involved with the house, either a trainer, guard, member of the house, etc.

Never got off the ground, but it's still a possibility one of these days. 
Hmmm... hadn't thought of the two-level type game. That does sound intriguing.

My initial thought was to have the PCs as part of a gladiator stable. They get bought out by a merchant house when their owner goes bankrupt, and thus get dragged all across the Tablelands to fight in various tournaments. I figure they capstone adventure for finishing the heroic tier would be their escape from slavery. 
Very good idea Raddu ! They are so many great things we all would like to do !

@Kerapalli : the escape is a good idea for the conclusion of the heroic tier, but I think you should add a great change in the city too (linked to the player's actions).

My campaigns :

Dark Sun : La Décade des Héros (4E)

Al-Qadim / Golden Voyages (Next) Planescape (Next)

And excuse my baaadly and ruuusty english...

I was just browsing through the old 2e Complete Gladiator's Handbook the other day and was wondering if anyone has tried running a gladiatorial campaign recently. It seems like a relatively good "starting point" for a new Dark Sun group, especially if they are just familiarizing themselves with the 4e combat rules for the first time. It also clearly breaks up into distinct encounters so that those with time constraints don't end up with the neverending session.

Obviously this sort of thing would get a bit repetitive after a while, but it could be used as a springboard to a larger campaign (especially if the PCs attempt to win their way out of slavery / escape in the night). Does anyone have interesting arena encounters or ideas to share?  

I started my current game with the PCs in the arena.  Each character had been "arrested" for different reasons, which have to do with the background of the PC, and the overall path I have planned for the game.  

But some of the encounters.  I set up the arena with multi-leveled platforms, flooded the "ground" with a poison that did ongoing damage/slowed them, etc.. encouraging them to fight on the platforms.. lots of pushing and shoving.   Also ran some arena fights with creatures, or where the opponents were already placed and ready to get some OAs on the group as they emerged from the gates.

I set up a pyramid and did a King of the Hill style game, where the goal was to be in charge of the hill for so many rounds.

I had a sliding scale for audience favor.. the group could perform for the crowd to move the slider to their side.. and the further they got it to their side, they would get bonuses of +1 to attack, or +1 to damage, etc..

Eventually, a member of the Veiled Alliance approached the group, offering to help arrange an escape if they would help to assassinate Kalak.  And, a Templar of Kalak approached the group, offering them freedom if they performed a task for the King.  They took Kalak's offer.  hehehe 
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Sign In to post comments