Karn Liberated, Initial Draw and Replacement Effects

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Karn Liberated
Thought Reflection 

assuming I have Thought Reflection on the field as I restart the game

as I draw my initial hand of seven do I draw 14?

do I mulligan down to 12?

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013  - If you have any concerns with my conduct as a judge, feel free to submit feedback here.
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

No, you'll draw 7 and mulligan as normal. This is covered by rule 714.4:

714.4. The effect that restarts the game finishes resolving just before the first turn’s untap step. If the spell or ability that generated that effect has additional instructions, those instructions are followed at this time. No player has priority, and any triggered abilities that trigger as a result will go on the stack the next time a player receives priority, usually during the first turn’s upkeep step.

Thought Reflection will still be exiled while you are handling mulligans.
What if that thought reflection had been under an oblivion ring? Wouldn't it be in play at the beginnign of the started game?
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
In that case, Oblivion Ring's leaves-the-battlefield trigger will never occur, since the game ended with it on the battlefield. You'd pick up the exiled card and shuffle it into your library.
What if that thought reflection had been under an oblivion ring? Wouldn't it be in play at the beginnign of the started game?

No. Cards exiled by means other than Karn's first ability are shuffled in too. It's not around to take effect if it wasn't exiled by Karn.

And if it was exiled by Karn, it's not around to take effect for the reason Bowshewicz gave.
Sign In to post comments