decking an opponent

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
not sure if that was the proper term but making someone lose by running out of cards.

Is this a viable strategy, I noticed in the RTR block there are quite a few cards that could possible stack this effect and I am kindof tempted to try doing it with primarilly an Izzet deck. 
The more common colloquial term is "milling".  It's a viable strategy, but you got to support it right.
When the next set comes out I'll bet there will be more Mill, maybe.

Mill isn't something you splash into a deck, your deck needs to be very focused for it to work.  To be honest though, most of the Mill decks I play against lose.  They tend to run out of steam before reaching the finish line.  Mill changes how your opponents play against you.  

It's also a good idea to have cards that exile graveyards.  With Elixir of Immortality in the card pool.  Something like Tormod's Crypt.

Most mill decks tend to be , by the way.  These are just my opinions however.
STEP 1: Find your cousin STEP 2: Get your cousin in the cannon STEP: 3 Find another cousin

The term Magic players usually use is mill, I think after Millstone.

RTR was absolutely horrible for Mill. Doorkeeper is a win condition for defender decks, but not a mill engine on its own really. Crosstown Courier is awful in terms of mill. And the only thing Chronic Flooding is good for is milling yourself (it's actually pretty good at that though). I guess there was Psychic Spiral though, which could work well in a deck that milled you and your opponent at the same time. Pretty mediocre for mill overall though.

The recent Innistrad and Dark Ascension sets had more decent mill cards. Stuff like Curse of the Bloody Tome, Dream Twist, Chill of Foreboding, Thought Scour, and Increasing Confusion. As well as stuff to feed your graveyard like Forbidden Alchemy, Armored Skaab, and Mulch.

I'm sure the next set Gatecrash will have a decent amount of solid mill. It does have the Dimir guild after all, which is known for Glimpse the Unthinkable.

Oh, I forgot to mention that both Jace, Memory Adept and Sands of Delirium were printed in M13, both decent mill engines just on their own. You also have Mind Sculpt, which really isn't that great, but it does mill. Archaeomancer and Augur of Bolas from that set can get you mill cards out of your graveyard and library respectively.
The more common colloquial term is "milling".

Well, "milling" is the most common way to "deck" an opponent. My preferred method is Palinchron+High Tide to generate infinite mana and hit my opponent with an arbitrarily large Stroke of Genius or Braingeyser.

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

Mill was possibly at its strongest during Zendikar-Scars; thanks to this guy, -12 is the unluckiest of integers. But Innistrad gave you a few options, with lots of cards to use the graveyard. (And Increasing Confusion to boot!)

Anyway, the basics. You usually won't mill an opponent out. (I think the last tier-1 deck for that was Turbo-Stasis. Planeswalkers make that kind of impossible to play even in Legacy now.) You'll usually use mill for something. Options there:

Reanimator. Basically mill something big out and bring it back. The downside is, these cards tend to be at least four mana. Legacy reanimator is insane, but Modern reanimator isn't so broken. (Especially since most things you'd want to reanimate go back in your library.)

Milling as a trigger. Not as possible in Standard. Bloodchief Ascension fills the role perfectly. You can throw on Mindcrank, Archive Trap, Sword of Body and Mind. Naturally, none of these cards are Standard-legal.

Self-mill. Laboratory Maniac as wincon. Can also be used to get cards in your graveyard that you want in your graveyard.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Well, "milling" is the most common way to "deck" an opponent. My preferred method is Palinchron+High Tide to generate infinite mana and hit my opponent with an arbitrarily large Stroke of Genius or Braingeyser.

Prior to onslaught block correct? I mean i've heard of this awesome mill card called brain freeze and only way to counter storm is through stifle or some other card with a similar effect 
Mill was possibly at its strongest during Zendikar-Scars; thanks to this guy, -12 is the unluckiest of integers. But Innistrad gave you a few options, with lots of cards to use the graveyard. (And Increasing Confusion to boot!)

Anyway, the basics. You usually won't mill an opponent out. (I think the last tier-1 deck for that was Turbo-Stasis. Planeswalkers make that kind of impossible to play even in Legacy now.) You'll usually use mill for something. Options there:

Reanimator. Basically mill something big out and bring it back. The downside is, these cards tend to be at least four mana. Legacy reanimator is insane, but Modern reanimator isn't so broken. (Especially since most things you'd want to reanimate go back in your library.)

Milling as a trigger. Not as possible in Standard. Bloodchief Ascension fills the role perfectly. You can throw on Mindcrank, Archive Trap, Sword of Body and Mind. Naturally, none of these cards are Standard-legal.

Self-mill. Laboratory Maniac as wincon. Can also be used to get cards in your graveyard that you want in your graveyard.

How exactly was Mill at it's strongest during zend-scars? Are you meaning standard wise? Or overall?  

How exactly was Mill at it's strongest during zend-scars? Are you meaning standard wise? Or overall?  

Standard. You had a bazillion mill combos all because of one card.

If you tried to win by milling itself, though, three other cards said "no".
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt

Prior to onslaught block correct? I mean i've heard of this awesome mill card called brain freeze and only way to counter storm is through stifle or some other card with a similar effect 

My. Preferred. Method.

I despise Storm. Storm decks ignore the opponent for 3 or 4 turns, then win. It isn't even a game at that point.

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

My. Preferred. Method.

I despise Storm. Storm decks ignore the opponent for 3 or 4 turns, then win. It isn't even a game at that point.

Hey, sometimes they play a Duress or Thoughtseize!

i had a brain freeze deck back during that time that went off on turn 6 usually. Cowardice + ornithopter + lightning greaves + brain freeze or minds desire into brain freeze is what won me games. Unfortunately the meta that that time was turn 2-3 you lose due to affinity so it never got to be more than a casual deck.
Strangely enough I decked an oppoenent in a Draft Match this afternoon playing a mostly Azorius build using Psychic Spiral
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Bloodchief Ascension has never been relevant, by the way.

The only mill deck I know of that has had positive results is Turbo-Fog, around TSP-LOR, afaik. It's a deck that players a bajillion of Howling Mine effects and then obsoletes the combat step by preventing the combat damage with Fog effects. It requires a somewhat aggressive meta game though, if your opponent lands a Planeswalker you might be wrecked, unless you have prepared to interact with it. I don't think it works very well against Burn either.

That is if we ignore infinite mana engines coupled with Draw Spells, ProsBloom also won by forcing your opponent to draw from an empty library.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

That is if we ignore infinite mana engines coupled with Draw Spells, ProsBloom also won by forcing your opponent to draw from an empty library.

No, ProsBloom won by drawing a bunch of cards, pitching them for black mana, and sticking a straw in the opponent. Given how much card drawing and deck thinning a ProsBloom deck does, using Prosperity to deck the opponent would end in a draw (i.e., tie) game.

Oh, right. I kinda ignored that it used symmetrical card draw when I wrote that.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I'm not sure if Dimir on a Stick ever happned in Legacy.

The only mill deck I have had much success with came during Timespiral-Lorwyn with Drowner of Secrets. It had success at FNM events but it was pretty high risk reward, because Damnation could really wreck it. Fun times though, fun times. It also could sideboard itself into a full on Fish deck with 4*Reejerey and 4*Lord of Atlantis
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

Glimpse the Unthinkable cannot be imprinted on Isochron Scepter due to being a sorcery.

On that note, a first turn Jace's Phantasm followed by a second turn Glimpse the Unthinkable could be good.

Xweetoks = ♥Happiness

Glimpse the Unthinkable cannot be imprinted on Isochron Scepter due to being a sorcery.

On that note, a first turn Jace's Phantasm followed by a second turn Glimpse the Unthinkable could be good.

Whoops.

Also, I totally meant extended not legacy. Legacy looks at a 5 turn clock and laughs. Obviously that still doesn't work.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!

My. Preferred. Method.

Well, Storm decks pack a punch but nothing says die storm like a stifle. I hated playing against aluren too though but loved playing it, probably the best enchantment ever right there