So its that time of the week again and I am that type of DM.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I took brief notes last week about what happend and thats the amount of preparation that went into this session.

Sort of.

I'm not sure if I am skewed in my DMing style but I prepare by watching shows, reading books and playing video games. I look at stuff I see and say HEY I THINK THIS WOULD BE COOL IF IT WAS MORE FANTASYER.

This week, I recently started Ghost in the Shell 2 days ago and am enjoying it, I saw the Iran/Isreal thing on the news and I was like Wow that would be an awesome villian.

Result.
Gnome Enchanter meets Laughing Man meets fed up with THE MAN.

I don't have stat blocks or graph maps.
I don't have name lists and story charts.

I take notes when I say things to retain continuity and I decide stats and rules based on what I think feels right for an encounter. If I think up an ability that would make the encounter cool while its happening, I drop it in.

I run serious campaigns, jokes are fine and welcomed but it wouldn't be out of tone to see a villaged razed with families hung in trees.

What I want to know is what type of GM/DM are you?
If your a player what type of GM/DM do you prefer?

PS. I use a d6 and a d20 and thats pretty much it.
I'm the DM who'll craft an initial adventure (you know, something to draw/bind a party together to start with) and then make things up as I go as needed - based upon what the players do.

That's not to say I don't plan anything past the initial chapter.  No, generally I see what's already going on and try & predict the 3 most likely things the players will do in the coming week(s) & attempt to be lightly prepped for that.  I do this the night before any game.
Works about 1/2 the time.  The other 1/2?  I'm making stuff up on the fly.

I'm also one of the DMs that got no qualms about killing a character or allowing a TPK to happen. 
If the dice say you die?  Then you die.
If you insist upon doing something really stupid?  Then your character will likely die without the dice being rolled..... (had this last one happen a just few weeks ago)

I'm also a DM whose in no way beholden to company produced cannon (though I'll steal ideas from everyone). 
Or even rules at times.  Afterall, I'm the DM, not some author miles & years away....

As a player?
I want a game with action in it.
I want a game where the DM realizes that the story being told is at least as much the Players as it is theirs'.
Nothing irks me more than when a DM has everything all planned out & it really doesn't matter at all what mix of characters are present.  

I took brief notes last week about what happend and thats the amount of preparation that went into this session.

Sort of.

I'm not sure if I am skewed in my DMing style but I prepare by watching shows, reading books and playing video games. I look at stuff I see and say HEY I THINK THIS WOULD BE COOL IF IT WAS MORE FANTASYER.

This week, I recently started Ghost in the Shell 2 days ago and am enjoying it, I saw the Iran/Isreal thing on the news and I was like Wow that would be an awesome villian.

Result.
Gnome Enchanter meets Laughing Man meets fed up with THE MAN.

I don't have stat blocks or graph maps.
I don't have name lists and story charts.

I take notes when I say things to retain continuity and I decide stats and rules based on what I think feels right for an encounter. If I think up an ability that would make the encounter cool while its happening, I drop it in.

I run serious campaigns, jokes are fine and welcomed but it wouldn't be out of tone to see a villaged razed with families hung in trees.

What I want to know is what type of GM/DM are you?
If your a player what type of GM/DM do you prefer?

PS. I use a d6 and a d20 and thats pretty much it.

I have the same DM style as you described except I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive when it comes to my notes. My main campaign is serious, and most of my players like it that way. The age group of my players is 14 to 40 so some of the players are not always quite at the same level of maturity.

When I first started playing a lot of my adventures consisted of a dungeon in which you picked locks and bypassed traps in order to make it into the next monster-filled tavern. Logic didn't play into it. Getting past those dang traps and fighting the 'bad guys' is what mattered, and getting treasure and experience. Fun. Dumb... but fun.

As DM, I try to have a combination of lots of action and excitement combined with an overall sense of purpose. I try to DM so that the players actually care what happens to their characters and makes decisions as if the character actually existed in the world we are imagining. And make the decisions they make have consequences.

If they slap around some street urchin today, in a month or two they may have to pay the piper if the kid's big brother, Rusty the Knife comes back from Skull Hill where he's been making a living as an extortionist. The players may not remember... but Rusty the Knife remembers (and he'll leave them something to remind them so it don't happen again).
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
Sign In to post comments