Jund Zombies

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Or as I am now coining it, JZ.

I said it in the G/B thread and I'll say it again here, I firmly believe that Jund Zombies is the zombie variant of choice going into the RtR environment. Figured it about time to show a list and maybe get a discussion going though, can't hurt can it?

4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
2 Deathrite Shaman
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Licker
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat

4 Brimstone Volley
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Dreadbore
3 Rancor

4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Blood Crypt
4 Dragonskull Summit
3 Cavern of Souls
3 Swamp

Now no deck is ever *finished* but I'm very happy with this. I think that Dynacharge has got serious potential but can't seem to find the spaces. And yes I do think that in an Aggro deck Shred is a better option than Lotleth Troll. That may be contraversial, but whatever, it's what I think. This deck can be fast enough to make the regen completely irrelevant, I make tramplers every game as it stands anyway, and I'd rather cast the creatures I'd be discarding.

One thing I do want to add though - when Stomping Ground is back, I think little old Jigga here will have enough red sources to front Ash Zealot.
I want to be Cultured.
I tried fighting going Jund for as long as I could as I really feel that G/B is better for my playstyle. However I was having trouble deciding what I wanted in the 4 drop at the top of the curve. Finally decided to try a slight splash of red for aristocrat and dreadbore here is what I have.

Creatures:
4 Lotleth Troll
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Dreg Mangler
3 Deathrite Shaman
3 Blood Artist
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells;
3 Tragic Slip
2 Abrupt Decay
2 Dreadbore
2 Grisly Salvage

Lands:
4 Blood Crypt
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Woodland Cemetery
3 Cavern of Souls
2 Dragonskull Summit
5 Swamp
1 Forest
1 Golgari Guildgate
Have you gotten any games in with this? I'm tempted to try out deathrite Shaman in place of the Cacklers, but do you find they're 'on' enough of the time without grisly salvage to be worth it?
I want to be Cultured.
7 out of 10 times I'm targeting my opponents GY with Shaman. Normally it's to shutdown some sort of flashback, either Snapcaster flashback or a spell that has flashback in general. I've really been enjoying it as it's awesome in the mirror and the 2 toughness puts out of slip range which is nice for a 1 drop. I find his abilitities more relevant then the 1 extra power that cacklers give, plus he is another blocker in a deck that is normally going offensive.
See I'm worried more about his costs. The mana for him would be better spend getting gravecrawler back or hitting my 3rd and 4th turns smoothly...
I want to be Cultured.
Even if shaman hits early, he is a threat regardless of mana being up. Opponent has to blow legit removal on him or have their late game suffer. In the mirror, I can drop my 3rd or 4th play for mana available for removing a fallen crawler or messenger, then resume my curve. I'll take that tempo loss on my side for tempo loss on their side that puts me up in the long run
Even if shaman hits early, he is a threat regardless of mana being up. Opponent has to blow legit removal on him or have their late game suffer. In the mirror, I can drop my 3rd or 4th play for mana available for removing a fallen crawler or messenger, then resume my curve. I'll take that tempo loss on my side for tempo loss on their side that puts me up in the long run

Exactly my thought.

Specifically if you are playing Lotleth troll over, Shred freak. I feel like while B/G, and my B/G/r is still aggro, it's obviously not as aggressive as either B/R or B/R/g in that it's not as quick. However I feel like it's a lot harder to lose to a thragtusk or centaur healer, or smiter. In other words going heavier red gives you speed, and arguably more reach, while going heavier green gives you more resiliency but less speed and I would say slightly less reach specifically if you don't run any burn(like me). So in my case, since I'm not playing Pillar, shaman helps me in the mirror take care of crawler/messenger, while against control it's a sudo grim lavamancer for reach while also whittling away at flashback.

Grizz
Ok, sold on giving Deathrite Shaman a whirl, got 2 on the way lol.
I want to be Cultured.
Alright here is my "Halloween" deck(see if you can guess the theme).

Creatures: 25
11 One drops
4 Gravecrawler
4 Diregraf Ghoul
2 Deathrite Shaman

7 Two drops
4 Lotleth Troll
2 Highborn Ghoul

7 Three drops
4 Geralf's Messenger
3 Dreg Mangler

2 Four drops
2 Falkenrath Aristocrat

Spells: 9 Spells
1 Tragic Slip
2 Ultimate Price
2 Sign in Blood
2 Dreadbore
1 Bonfire of the Damned

Planeswalkers: 1
1 Garruk Relentless

Enchantments: 3
3 Rancor
2 Dead Weight

Lands:
4 Woodland Cemetery
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blood Crypt
3 Cavern of Souls
3 Dragonskull Summit
1 Golgari Guildgate
5 Swamp
@Grizz - I really like the look of that, but I can't say I'm a fan of the guildgate, I'd just go in for the 3rd Dragonskull. I also must admit I don't see a particular use for Grisly Salvage in this build other than to maybe hit Gravecrawler and give Deathrite Shaman something to do. Yours and theirs mind you... I'd rancor to 3 maybe? Or Rancor to 2 and pop in another kill card.
I want to be Cultured.
I like it because normally I am digging for a relavent creature with it. I was running sign in blood, but there is nothing worse then sign in blooding into 2 lands. With Grisly Salvage I get to dig 5 cards deep for something that will hopefully help me and when the cards that go to the yard are not neseccarily wasted, because it could be a gravecrawler, mangler, or something else that Shaman can use.
Dropped the huntmaster's for Garruk's as he almost never flipped. I also cut the Salvage's for 2 geists, I'll let you know if the mana-base can handle it.
Here's my Jund List

Lands
4 swamp      
4 blood crypt
4 dragonskull summit
4 overgrown tomb
4 woodland cemetery
3 cavern of souls

Critters

4 gravecrawler
4 diregraf ghoul
4 blood artist
4 lotleth troll
4 geralf's messenger
2 dreg mangler
3 falkenrath aristocrat

Spells

4 tragic slip
2 rancor
2 sign in blood
3 brimstone volley
1 flames of the firebrand

Sideboard
2pithing needle
????

The mana base is pretty nutter butter, unless I draw only B/R lands and I've got green cards in hand. I went down in rancor because it was stretching my early mana too much for my liking. I'm still a fan of lotleth troll over shred freak because the regen and every now and then pitching gravecrawler to him is a nice feeling, and I love resilent threats. I'm still up in the air with sign in blood, sometimes its exactly what I need other times not so much. I'm also trying to find the spilt between brimestone and flames because both cards are fantastic whatever isnt main decked will probably go sideboard. As for sideboard I'm still up in the air aside from pithing needle cause i love saying no to planeswalkers. I run no abrupt decay because the only thing it would hit would be a enchantment like the 2 o-rings or rest in peace which I'm ok with any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Id play mizzium mortars over brimstone, its 1 less to cast and it does 4 damage, and gives you a utility to hit all their creatures if you have the extra mana.