Favorite Player Character

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Who/What is your favorite P.C? Mine is my level 8 Eladrin Wizard(Battlemage p.p.), and my second favorite is my level 8 Dragonborn Warlord(Battle Captain p.p.)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/6.jpg)

My favority PC is a Half-Orc Paladin of Torm named Lord Brantus. He's now level 9 and i have lots of fun playing him in Living Forgotten Realms. He is a true Defender always protecting his allies and he died once in Calimshan and was raised from the dead.

He has a special magical amulet (Amulet of Passage) that allow people attuned to it to teleport when they wish to. Lord Brantus always tell those wanting to be attued to it that they need to touch his amulet and everytime we introduce new character at the begining of a session its always comical to see their reaction ;)

My favority PC is a Half-Orc Paladin of Torm named Lord Brantus. He's now level 9 and i have lots of fun playing him in Living Forgotten Realms. He is a true Defender always protecting his allies and he died once in Calimshan and was raised from the dead.

He has a special magical amulet (Amulet of Passage) that allow people attuned to it to teleport when they wish to. Lord Brantus always tell those wanting to be attued to it that they need to touch his amulet and everytime we introduce new character at the begining of a session its always comical to see their reaction ;)

My current favorite is Shoth of the Hidden Waters, a wizard. He calls himself the Kraken's Son. As a child, his father was killed by a terrible sea creature and he survived an attack by the creature, but the attack left him hideously scarred. His favorite food is a type of tropical nut called bekka which turned his lips black and his mouth a blood red. He is terrible to behold, so he wears black gloves and a veiled hat. His only companion for many years has been a fruit bat named Cthulhish. He lives in a sea-side cave where he makes his living selling scrimshaw carvings. His spell book is made from dried seaweed and is covered by a scrimshaw binding carved in the form of a kraken. He is currently trying to stop a civil war in his kingdom of Vamrosh between the rightful Emperor of Vyperia and some of the more powerful warlords of Vyperia, Darfang and Shamshoon.
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
The Executioner, a mad, depraved villain, sword expert and terrible dresser.  He was the first DnD character I ever played, and switched alignment in his first game after the monastic order he was sent to deal with turned out to operate under an oath of silence, which infuriated him and ended with a load of dead monks. That single act of murderous rage set the stage for an entire career of deception, violence and attempts at dealings with dark gods.  
I lost the sheet years ago, but the sheer number of ludicrous adventures, TPKs, and slain innocent guards he lived through has kept him at the top of my list. 
Melaar, Billboard of the Gods

Melaar was a catperson fighter in a Forgotten Realms 2nd edition game. He had a strong urge to protect the weak, but worshipped no god, having been slightly bitter since the Time of Troubles.

One of the party members was a priest of Tempus, who was fond of preaching about his god. He and Melaar discussed Tempus at length, and Melaar was starting to understand why someone would worship him. Finally, upon seeing a group of minotaurs ravaging a caravan, Melaar was inspired enough to scream out Tempus' name as he charged into battle. A brutal string of crits left the hero dead at the hands of the minotaurs. The DM, mostly jokingly, said well, that being the moment you truly pledged yourself, and having died valiently in his name,Tempus may have noticed you and bring you back. Let's say a 1% chance. When those dice (rolled where we could all see) rolled it, the entire table went nuts. Melaar awoke with Tempus' symbol branded on his shoulder.

The game was using crit tables and such, but nothing terribly bad happened to the rest of the party. However, Melaar seemed a crit magnet. A later nasty crit caused his hand to be severed. After undertaking a mission for Ka, Melaar was given a magically replaced hand, emblazoned with Ka's symbol. A later fight done to help Mystra's priesthood got Melaar's leg severed but was eventually replaced by Mystra...bearing her sigil.

The game was crazy and ridiculous, but we all had fun, and the legend of the man bearing symbols of 3 gods was born.
Melaar, Billboard of the Gods

Melaar was a catperson fighter in a Forgotten Realms 2nd edition game. He had a strong urge to protect the weak, but worshipped no god, having been slightly bitter since the Time of Troubles.

One of the party members was a priest of Tempus, who was fond of preaching about his god. He and Melaar discussed Tempus at length, and Melaar was starting to understand why someone would worship him. Finally, upon seeing a group of minotaurs ravaging a caravan, Melaar was inspired enough to scream out Tempus' name as he charged into battle. A brutal string of crits left the hero dead at the hands of the minotaurs. The DM, mostly jokingly, said well, that being the moment you truly pledged yourself, and having died valiently in his name,Tempus may have noticed you and bring you back. Let's say a 1% chance. When those dice (rolled where we could all see) rolled it, the entire table went nuts. Melaar awoke with Tempus' symbol branded on his shoulder.

The game was using crit tables and such, but nothing terribly bad happened to the rest of the party. However, Melaar seemed a crit magnet. A later nasty crit caused his hand to be severed. After undertaking a mission for Ka, Melaar was given a magically replaced hand, emblazoned with Ka's symbol. A later fight done to help Mystra's priesthood got Melaar's leg severed but was eventually replaced by Mystra...bearing her sigil.

The game was crazy and ridiculous, but we all had fun, and the legend of the man bearing symbols of 3 gods was born.

A perfect example of a DM and players following the DND Prime Directive.

The DND Prime Directive: If everyone is having fun... you're playing the game right!
A rogue with a bowl of slop can be a controller. WIZARD PC: Can I substitute Celestial Roc Guano for my fireball spells? DM: Awesome. Yes. When in doubt, take action.... that's generally the best course. Even Sun Tsu knew that, and he didn't have internets.
I don't usually plan long, ongoing campaigns, so I'm going to go for Grippli Bill, a backup character I played recently on this adventure after my main character was petrified.  He was a Grippli (reflavoured Pixie) bard.

The Grippli on this island were spawned by the Wart Mother (a froghemoth), who was a horribly mutated giant frog spawned in the swamp by a glowing control rod stolen from a neogi spaceship.  The Grippli all love and worship the Wart Mother.

Grippli Bill's real name is only pronouncable in the Grippli language, his only language, one of croaks and ribbits.  He got around this by smoking magical herbs until he could speak and understand common.  A side effect was that they made his voice sound like the Space Coyote from Homer Simpson's Guatemalan insanity pepper vision (played by Johnny Cash).

Bill was always made fun of because people said he was a crappy hunter, which is kind of a big deal in a society built around feeding the Wart Mother.  His skills lay more with mixing herbs.  So, he had a bit of a chip on his shoulder and was seeking to prove himself.  Which he did by killing and bringing back the head of Flycatcher, the nemesis of the Grippli and the Wart Mother.

He fell out with the tribe after a member of the party stole the glowing relic from the belly of the Wart Mother and the Oracle of Ribbit (her sage) turned the tribe against him.

Grippli Bill responded by confronting the Oracle, who was leading the Wart Mother and the tribe to war against the party.  During the confrontation, Bill treated the ulcer of the Wart Mother, and passed the Trial of the ****, becoming the new Oracle.  In the end, he negotiated a trading relationship with Major-General Stanley (my recently un-petrified original character), and they all lived happily ever after (?).

Couple of lessons here:

1. Sometimes failure is awesome.  If Stanley didn't fail those saving throws (fortunately it was at the end of session anyways, so I had a week to come up with a whole new concept for a backup), I wouldn't have made a backup character and wouldn't have had the chance to play Grippli Bill

2. The best and funnest characters are the ones who are closely intertwined with the world in question in a unique way.  For Bill, it was how much he loved the Wart Mother which really drove him, and made for some cool roleplaying.

3. Bards are fun.
DM advice: 1. Do a Session Zero. 2. Start With Action. 3. Always say "Yes" to player ideas. 4. Don't build railroads. 5. Make success, failure, and middling rolls interesting. Player advice: 1. Don't be a dick. 2. Build off each other, don't block each other. 3. You're supposed to be a badass. Act like it. Take risks. My poorly updated blog: http://engineeredfun.wordpress.com/

Some of my characters have been favorites of mine due to their mechanics, while others have been due to their character/personality.
 I could probably name about ten characters (after 30 years, I have entire notebooks full of them) that are my favorites. If I had to pick one, I'd guess it'd be Ripper...

Ripper started out in 2nd Ed. as a pregen character in a module - the Circle of Eight had gotten killed or maybe captured, I forget which (we got to play them in the opening battle and "die" horribly), and we were now playing their retainers whose job was to find their killers/get them back/whatever. I was never really sure of the exact plot since the game was being played in the cafeteria at college, and I just happened to be walking by and was shanghaied into the party after asking if I could hang out and listen in.
 Ripper started out as an un-named halfling thief with two magical daggers and a ring of jumping.
It wasn't until partway through the adventure that his personality really solidified. We were in a tavern when a bunch of bad guys charged in to try to kill us. I was hiding under a table looking for a shot at someone with my crossbow when an opponent passed by. I had an idea. After he passed me, I used my ring of jumping to land on his back, wrapped my legs around him to hold on and drew both daggers across his throat. The DM ruled I could get my sneak attack damage in since I'd just flown clear across the room and hit the guy from behind. I spent the next five rounds bouncing around the room like a homicidal pinball, whooping and laughing and firing off one-liners.
After clearing my section, I looked around and noticed that the rest of the bad guys outside the place had barred the doors (on their own people as well) and set the entire place on fire with spells. Everyone else was busy either trying to fight their way out, not get killed, or fight the fire. There was no way for the party to get out of the building since there were too many bad guys at the doors. However, there was a nearby window that had been broken during the fight. So, in a very un-halfling-like manner, Ripper let loose a berserker warcry and flung himself out the window into the street, taking the fight to the enemy. The dwarven fighter had to follow him out, lol. The two of us fought our way to the door and took enough pressure off the people inside for them to break out and turn the tide of the battle.
That fight pretty much created Ripper. I've built and rebuilt Ripper in every edition since then, as a rogue, a fighter/rogue, even thrown in a couple levels of ranger or barbarian in the mix.

I describe Ripper as the largest halfling the party's ever seen - he looks (and often acts) more like a young thin dwarf than a halfling. If Lemmy Kilmister from the band Motorhead (especially the muttonchop sideburns) was good-looking, built like a pro wrestler and had dark auburn hair, that's what Ripper would look like.
 He's essentially the pen-and-paper representation of my id. He's somewhere inbetween Wolverine and Jack Sparrow. He's loud, boisterous and unpredictable. He loves brawling, tavern crawling, likes flirting with pretty women and playing head games with people. He's incredibly intelligent, crafty, very skillful, speaks several languages and enjoys singing elven ballads at the top of his lungs to the tune of dwarven drinking songs. In Orcish.

In addition to his traditional magic daggers and ring of jumping, Ripper also picked up a magical sunblade bastard sword and gauntlets of ogre power, and on one occasion while fighting an ogre actually threw down his bastard sword and began pummeling the ogre in the kneecaps with his bare fists until its legs gave out and it fell over. He then stood on its chest and punched it in the face until it died. Cool

In three different campaigns I've been invited into, I've had people actually request that I bring back Ripper for the current game after hearing some of his old war stories...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I have 3.....in the past, it would have been a tie between the first two.  Flavorful, fun characters that interacted GREAT with the party....they were CHARACTERS and not piles of numbers that some other characters of mine had become.

#1 was Dirk Desarach, a 16 year old wizard who ran away from the wizard academy he was attending to seek adventure, along with his MUCH more reserved companion who often tried unsuccessfully to keep him out of trouble.  He regularly paid people to deliver notes home so his rich parents would continue to think he was at the academy.  He tended to blow all his dailies and encounters and action points as soon as possible in a fight (was fun ESPECIALLY when it was a bad idea).  He also snuck away from the party one night in town to visit a brothel and then was found out by the girl (party member) he (the character, not me) had a crush on....shenanigans ensued.

#2 was Lo'Gash, whom the party nicknamed "the goliath with the heart of gold" who was a goliath warden travelling with his underhanded dwarven druid companion.  This character was naive and truly didn't catch onto a lot of the sneaky dealings that the party had (they kept it a secret from him) which was really fun to play, because he was such GOOD friends with the party (they never cheated him), and was honestly a truly good, kind, heroic person.  It was the situation, more than the character himself that made that guy fun to play.

#3 is the new favorite, and my current character.  We're playing the new descent into undermountain campaign, and the DM suggested we not worry about big complicated backstory, but make sure our characters are rich and colorful characters that are fun to play, just by virtue of quirks and personality.  Well, i built a brawler fighter....then i gave him the Wizard's Apprentice theme!  He comes off as a brute of a character who often pretends high intelligence.  He attended the "university" (just my name for generic wizards academy) before leaving to adventure.  He uses his schooling as a badge of honor and rationale for any number of crazy things (of course i know what you're talking about, *I* went to the university after all), and to make it more fun, he uses big words as often as possible, but mispronounces them, or uses the wrong word. 

That right there made him fun to play, but he became my FAVORITE character because after a good 12 sessions, he's the only character to survive TWO TPKs and just keeps ascending to the surface to pick up new recruits to adventure with him.  His first party died when we used a crystal prison trap that held a level 5 green dragon solo (we were level 1) during a difficult fight with kobolds.  We unleashed the 3rd party dragon on the kobolds, who fled, but not before rooting my cahracter in the middle of the room.  The dragon launched me to the wall and left me for dead and killed most of the rest of the party before i shrugged off the root effect (4 rounds later...) and ran for it with the other surviving member.    Later some helmed horrors took advantage of a provoked OA that the ranger (other surviving member) made, dropping him realy low and teleporting him out of sight, before eventually killing him too far away to help. 

At that point  i was the ONLY original member of the 4-person party, but the two previously killed by the dragon had been around at least a couple extra sessions when we picked up the rangers new character.  At that point i kind of became the de facto leader of the party, simply by virtue of being the one who knew the most about the plot points.  Well, just last session (saturday) we blundered into a VERY hard fight (definitely a level+4) with 4 tough zombies and 3 wraiths (not the regenerating, weakening kind, but still pretty tough).  a wraith killed our replacement wizard (Deanna Jones, the treasure seeker :-p)  with a crit, and the rogue got trapped in a room and knocked out.  The dwarf cleric held the only escape (the center square of a crossroads made of two 5-foot hallways meeting) with her lesser aspect of wraith daily activated.  We tried to pull out, with me moving past her, and then she was supposed to follow, but the monsters went first and finally dropped her.  So i started a full-out run out of the place.....here i am, trapped in undermountain.  The dwarf and rogue each were carrying maps they were making....i didn't have one AND the only way back to the entrance that i KNEW of involved a resetting trap that was geared for 4 players that i couldn't survive alone.

So to clarify, here i am trapped ALONE in undermountain, with NO map, and i only know the general direction of the entrance.  I go running off through the place, peek through a door and roll an untrained 5 on my stealth.  The beholder gauth (undermountain level 1 uses random room features and monsters for levels 1-5) behind the door sees me and gives chase (he's a level 5 elite artillery that flies, i'm a level 3 melee fighter with all my daily powers used).  I waste my action point trying to run from him, but he's faster than me and is slowly catching up.  The only good part is that by dazing him with my wizard power, i was able to run THROUGH his room and got back to some map that i knew....so if i could escape or kill him, i was home free!  Well, i lure him between some curtains in a low hallway, so he either has to stay next to me, knock me back, or lose sight of me (allowing me to continue running.  Through some good rolls, and an amazing fortitude defense (both the sleep power and the slide power of the gauth target fortitude!) i take him down with all my consumables and powers used (second wind, potions, eye of accuracy for my javelins...) and me at 5hp....

we ended the session with my bloodied and battered self ascending the lift out of undermountain into the Yawning Portal tavern, covered in blood, and a beholder corpse in my hands.  Time to recruit another party!

(now by far my coolest character ever!) 
Sign In to post comments