Legend of Drizzt Leveling up rule question.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post

According to the rules when you level up you raise all your stats up by 1. That being said can you play LoD in a campaign style and for example end up with a hero that might be a level 8. Kind of like building up your character in D&D RPG. Of course all of the monsters would get their stats raised also. Or is LoD meant to be played where every time you play an adventure you always start at level 1? I have been playing D&D RPG occasionally since 1979 and recently I have got back into gaming a little more. I still play D&D RPG but I also wanted to try something that was not as time consuming. I just discovered D&D board games but hell I am 47 and just a bit behind the gaming curve. Anyway, this game is ripe for house rule ideas. Don’t get wrong this game and its rules are fantastic as is, but after all it is a fantasy game.

Thanks for any help.

Flux  

That being said can you play LoD in a campaign style and for example end up with a hero that might be a level 8. Kind of like building up your character in D&D RPG. Of course all of the monsters would get their stats raised also. Or is LoD meant to be played where every time you play an adventure you always start at level 1?

There are campaign rules, but they still only support level 1 and level 2. You are certainly free to create house rules for higher levels: You would not be the first to do so. Most people just follow the same pattern that occurs when you go from level 1 to level 2. I don't know if there is any good guidance on how to scale up monster difficulty.

You'll actually find some discussion on this topic here:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

But, I'd paraphrase by saying that it's certainly possible, but it breaks the game.  Every Villain in the game is designed to be defeated by a group of level 1 characters.  Being able to level up too much will remove any challenge from the game.